Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the the best value netbook on the market?

• 04-09-2008 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

With Dell releasing the 910, it looks like all of the players in the market have now shown us what they're offering.

I'm finding it hard to decide which one to get. I did have an EEE 901 but I got the linux version and found it irritating beyond belief. Its gone to a better home now.

Here's the question thats on my mind right now.

Is there a clear "winner"? I have €400 to spend and I'm leaning towards the Dell because they've never let me down before.

I've also heard of driver problems with the Asus 901 Linux Wifi.

What would you buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have the asus eee 701, which i'm looking to upgrade at the mo, for me, i think the advent 4211 wins out as far as price and spec. 369 for 10" screen with xp, 1.3MP camera, 1.6ghz processor, 120Gb HD and bluetooth. Going to go and see about a student discount as well, to be extra cheeky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I have the asus eee 701, which i'm looking to upgrade at the mo, for me, i think the advent 4211 wins out as far as price and spec. 369 for 10" screen with xp, 1.3MP camera, 1.6ghz processor, 120Gb HD and bluetooth. Going to go and see about a student discount as well, to be extra cheeky

Is the advent on sale on the net, or is it available in shops?

Advent is just a rebranded msi wind. Which is onsale in pcworld of all places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Trotter wrote: »
    With Dell releasing the 910, it looks like all of the players in the market have now shown us what they're offering.

I'm finding it hard to decide which one to get. I did have an EEE 901 but I got the linux version and found it irritating beyond belief. Its gone to a better home now.

Here's the question thats on my mind right now.

Is there a clear "winner"? I have €400 to spend and I'm leaning towards the Dell because they've never let me down before.

I've also heard of driver problems with the Asus 901 Linux Wifi.

What would you buy?

I have an Advent 4211/MSI Wind which I have upgraded to Vista Ultimate. It runs perfectly (including Aero). It's an everyday work tool and I use it for an Access database, Word, IE and Outlook.

The downside is the battery - around 2 hrs use realistically on the standard 3 cell. I go from plugged locations so it is not an issue. You can buy 6 cell batteries online now. Have a look at msiwind.net to get an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

The Advent only has an 80g hard drive. I got one as soon as they came out and found it great. Super easy to use straight out of the box and no faffing around with linux. Worked with my mobile broadband without a hitch. The only problem was with a dodgy on/off button which led me to return it after 2 weeks. Have decided to get another one but am holding out for the 6 cell battery model. Can recommend it highly.

• Advertisement

Ah, right you are about the 80Gb HD. Ye, i think i might even head out tomorrow and check one out in pcworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

i got the advent 4211 and i must admit it is a great machine, the only downside is going travelling and would prefer the 6cell battery which i hope to pick up soon online, otherwise great netbook.

I got mine from pixmania as few quid cheaper, they are owned by PC world i think hence they are selling them.

The dell one only gives a one year warranty whereas the advent 4211 gives 2, even if bought from PC world as some people think its only a year but its actually two. Costs €40 extra off dell to get the two year warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Great machine!(4211)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

chris85 wrote: »

The dell one only gives a one year warranty whereas the advent 4211 gives 2, even if bought from PC world as some people think its only a year but its actually two. .

Do you have a link for the 2 year warranty info ?

BTW Bios 1.08 for the ADvent is finally out on the techguys site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

parsi wrote: »
    Do you have a link for the 2 year warranty info ?

BTW Bios 1.08 for the ADvent is finally out on the techguys site.

pixmania are stating a two year warranty as shown in the link beloe just under the price

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1446450/art/advent/4211.html

BTW what will the bios update do, mine is grand so dont want to be messing it up updating the bios if i have no reason

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ah, right you are about the 80Gb HD. Ye, i think i might even head out tomorrow and check one out in pcworld.
    Yeah it's definitely a 80GB hard drive.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

chris85 wrote: »
    pixmania are stating a two year warranty as shown in the link beloe just under the price

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1446450/art/advent/4211.html

BTW what will the bios update do, mine is grand so dont want to be messing it up updating the bios if i have no reason

Thanks for the link..

Here's the description of the BIOS - upgrade went fine for me.

BIOS 1.08 update for Advent Netbook computers based on the Wind chassis. This update provides the following improvements to performance and functionality:

* Fixes the issues of the Netbook turning off during the BIOS splash screen if the power button is held down for more than 2 seconds.
    * Fixes the issue of Windows Media Player visualisations failing to load when playing MP3s on mains power.
    * Improves the detection of USB devices.
    * Add Skip onboard memory function
    * Update CPU Atom N270 microcode
    * Modify battery Name (" ") & Manufacturer (" ")
    * Update EC file

Advertisement