Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how was YOUR parade???

Options
  • 17-03-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Just back from the Carlow town parade and it was complete and utter s*&^e..............I just wasted 30mins of my day!!! The same old stuff from last year (if even less this year!), a handful of Reserves (out of step as usual), screaming school kids from various football clubs, a few noisy tractors and a few business from around town with flags and balloons stuck on there vans!! :mad: Wheres the creativity and festival atmosphere???

Dissapointed!

So how was it for you??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

youre lucky you got to go to one i was stuck in bloody work with winos shouting at me and rave versions of the fields of athenry and the like in my ear for 7 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Kilkenny don't have a parade for that exact reason. Tbh I don't know what is going on in town, apart from drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway was good, lots of school bands and dressed up people. Three different drum and pipes bands. Dunloy flute and drum band was down from the north. A few hurling clubs.
    It ended with a few of the town fire trucks, blue blenders on and sirens blaring!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

haha tractors with baloons, classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

It was good for me. By the time i got out of bed, it was all over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We went to the Lucan parade - it was the first time my 3YO son had seen one. From my POV it was weakish but he loved it and after all its for the kids!

The one thing that pissed me off was the young one sitting on the McDonalds wall beside us. After she wolfed down her chicken nuggets, burger and chips there was a collection of paper, foil top (from sauce) and its plastic container and a coke cup. She opened her box of smokes and stuck one into her gob after dropping the plastic wrapping on the ground beside the other crap.
    I eventually went over to her as the parade was starting and the conversation was like this:
    me: You seem to have dropped all this (pointing towards the paper bag)
    it: yeah, I know but they are empty
    me: but its rubbish
    it: yeah but its empty so it doesn't count
    me: do you not see the hyprocisy here?
    it (grinning): yeah

So I left it after getting a dig in which I hope hurt her feelings long term!
    I had planned on picking it up after the parade and putting it in the bin but by then I think a McDs lad had cleaned it up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

You should have shoved the rubbish

(i) in her mouth
    or
    (ii) down her top

I hope she goes blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I went to a parade in Sneem Co. Kerry and it was the most useless thing ever. About 10 entries and it was raining plus loads of knackers selling various conterfeit and stolen items. It was the worst st patricks day ever there not having been there for a few years.

The whole place is remnant of post civil-war Ireland with pubs and shops not much changed in forty years and people wearing Fianna Fail Stickers alongside the shamrock, I hurried out of it quickly as it is a perfect example of how backward some places in Ireland still are. My advice is avoid the place completely unless you drive a tank as the road into it should be put on that russian roads website that was posted a while back with mud tracks that became roads when the froze over in Winter. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Did anyone see people wearing Celtic jersies today?

I did.

People trying to parade their Irishness by wearing the jersey of a Scottish club who play an English game.

The same people who would probably call you a 'unionist' if you admitted supporting an Eircom league club.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

It was nice of RTÉ to show all the parade grand marshalls on the news except the grand marshall of the Cork parade... my Uncle :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

...a handful of Reserves (out of step as usual)

Ah lovely, another bit of RDF/reserve bashing. That's all I needed to read just after doing my part in a similar parade :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No parade in the schpot I'm living in the US, folks told me I missed nothing at home as I suspected. Usual tractor or two, girl guides, Naonrai, RDF and maybe a lorry from some of the local businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Just back from the Carlow town parade and it was complete and utter s*&^e..............I just wasted 30mins of my day!!! The same old stuff from last year (if even less this year!), a handful of Reserves (out of step as usual), screaming school kids from various football clubs, a few noisy tractors and a few business from around town with flags and balloons stuck on there vans!! :mad: Wheres the creativity and festival atmosphere???

Dissapointed!

So how was it for you??

Two things:

1) What exactly did you expect from a parade in Carlow? Ferraris & hot cheerleaders?
    2) Why are you going to a parade anwyay - are you 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Look Patricks day is about Tradition, and its Traditional to go and stand in the freezing cold waving a paper flag at a traffic jam. Most of the people who do this are mammies and daddies keeping an eye on their small purple offspring, inadequately dressed in judo kit, Bridgin uniforms or GAA kit.

Maybe next year you could either (1) get on the committee and see if you have any more luck persuading people to organise colourful, imaginative, interesting floats, or (2) have a lie in and ignore it. Or go to the pub. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Futureman wrote:
    Two things:

1) What exactly did you expect from a parade in Carlow? Ferraris & hot cheerleaders?
    2) Why are you going to a parade anwyay - are you 9?

1) Yes.........that would have been nice! :D

2) I didnt realise that St Patrick day parade were reserved for under 9 years old now :confused: :mad:. Why was I going......because I wanted to, good enough answer for you???

ThatGuy wrote:
    Ah lovely, another bit of RDF/reserve bashing. That's all I needed to read just after doing my part in a similar parade

Just telling it as it is ThatGuy, not bashing them at all, I was once 'one of them'. Dont take it too badly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Did anyone see people wearing Celtic jersies today?

I did.

People trying to parade their Irishness by wearing the jersey of a Scottish club who play an English game.

The same people who would probably call you a 'unionist' if you admitted supporting an Eircom league club.

Hear hear! And a pretty crap soccer club at that!

anyway,
    I was at the parade in Trim, co. Meath. It was fantastic. Tractors, goats, skips, slurry tanks, the fire brigade, frozen scouts and guides, some really weird tree huggers giving out about the M3, more goats, and the town mayor with a really cool and hip hair cutin him. Tremendous.
    Far better than the one I saw in Arva, Co. Cavan last year, though to be fair the one in Arva did have a good selection of septic tanks on the back of some trucks that were sadly lacking in the Trim parade.

Both though were far better than any time I've ventured in to my local parade (dublin city) which you can never see unless you have a ladder, and you have to run the gauntlet of every breed of drunken skanger you can imagine.

2) I didnt realise that St Patrick day parade were reserved for under 9 years old now :confused: :mad:. Why was I going......because I wanted to, good enough answer for you???

The parade is for 1) kids, 2) parents bringing their kids, 3) American tourists, 4) boggers with no lives, and 5) teenage skangers on the piss.
    Isn't it obvious by just looking at the crowd? The parade itself is just a bunch of naff floats from retailers, kooky student groups, and the odd crap marching band....and you're shocked when that's excatly what you got? Go figure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Parades are unbelievably gay. Since I became cool six or seven years ago (annoyingly, just after I finished college), I haven't bothered to look at any parades. I'm sorry it'll be another full year before I get the chance to not look at one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D The best thing that can be done to the Parade is move it to the June weekend then we can have topless Ferraris and covertable cheerleaders.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

mike65 wrote:
    :D The best thing that can be done to the Parade is move it to the June weekend then we can have topless Ferraris and covertable cheerleaders.

Mike.

Is that a mistake? Don't you mean "topless cheerleaders"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I was actually in the Fermoy Parade, we took 25 New MINIs and classic Minis down the street, and people seemed to genuinely enjoy it. Photos here :

http://miniclub.ie/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=761

ned78 wrote:
    I was actually in the Fermoy Parade, we took 25 New MINIs and classic Minis down the street, and people seemed to genuinely enjoy it. Photos here :

http://miniclub.ie/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=761
    WOW - that sounds so amazingly exciting - 25 of the same car in a row! Pissed I missed it! Where else can you see that kind of thing??!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Futureman wrote:
    WOW - that sounds so amazingly exciting - 25 of the same car in a row! Pissed I missed it! Where else can you see that kind of thing??!

Well, if you call 25 cars ranging for 1962 to 2007 with estates, convertibles, turbos, shorties all the same, then try the M50. For the non-cynical public it made a change from the usual Massey Ferguson hauling school kids butchering trad on a hay bale.

ned78 wrote:
    Well, if you call 25 cars ranging for 1962 to 2007 with estates, convertibles, turbos, shorties all the same, then try the M50. For the non-cynical public it made a change from the usual Massey Ferguson hauling school kids butchering trad on a hay bale.
    Sorry man - I'm only taking the piss. It does actually sound quite good compared to the usual parade tripe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

rediguana wrote:
    Is that a mistake? Don't you mean "topless cheerleaders"?

;)

Its been a few years since I was at a parade. Its not meant to be great for adults unless its in a big city. Small town parades are pretty much for kids who like seeing fire trucks and tractors and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

CroppyBoy1798,
    My band was playing by the fountain, we had a great laugh, but yeh the parade was awful.. I remeber thinking "Wow a truck, don't see 200 of them a day". Anyway I had a ball.
    TK

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

deswalsh wrote:
    anyway,
    I was at the parade in Trim, co. Meath. It was fantastic. Tractors, goats, skips, slurry tanks, the fire brigade, frozen scouts and guides, some really weird tree huggers giving out about the M3, more goats, and the town mayor with a really cool and hip hair cutin him. Tremendous.
    Did ya not see the raft race then? That was good fun. Next year will be even better

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Futureman wrote:

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Futureman wrote:
    The parade is for 1) kids, 2) parents bringing their kids, 3) American tourists, 4) boggers with no lives, and 5) teenage skangers on the piss.
    Isn't it obvious by just looking at the crowd? The parade itself is just a bunch of naff floats from retailers, kooky student groups, and the odd crap marching band....and you're shocked when that's excatly what you got? Go figure...

Ahhh so thats why it was such a bad experience for me! I must remember to consult you Futureman before I attend any other public events so as you can advise me on whats right and wrong oh wise one! :p

Oh, and I dont fall into any of the categories you mentioned, sorry, just visiting my county parade hoping to see something interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

missed it everything, was in the RDS all day - got to see the rugby though - what a let down and i can i just say, it was all the scots fault, it they could have just tried a bit harder, (shakes head in disappointment at the whole scottish nation)

Advertisement