Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tar Éis na hUaire

• 07-03-2007 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

As you may, or may not have noticed, there is now a sub-forum of AH as Gaeilge. Essentially it is a general forum for posting in Irish, and only Irish. Please do not post in English there. As a sub-forum of AH, a ban from Tar Éis na hUaire will earn you a simultaneous ban from AH.

To be perfectly clear: Do not go into that forum and start complaining about the Irish Language, it's place in our schools or that evil 2nd year Irish teacher you had who used to beat you for forgetting a fada. It will be considered trolling.

You can however, do all of the above here in AH as Bearla and can complain all you like once you stay civil with each other. :)

Feel free to discuss this on this thread if you want.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm glad it got approved! Just one thing - can the moderator list be hidden? There are so many mods for Cool pics and Tar Éis na hUaire that the display takes up half the main AH page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

biko wrote:
    I'm glad it got approved! Just one thing - can the moderator list be hidden? There are so many mods for Cool pics and Tar Éis na hUaire that the display takes up half the main AH page

I've no idea if that's possible. Though, there are good reasons for spelling out who mods a place at the bottom of a forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You're a Nuab!!!! :D

Good to see it got approved, won't see me in there though, I know nothing about Gaeilge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

nesf wrote:
    I've no idea if that's possible. Though, there are good reasons for spelling out who mods a place at the bottom of a forum.
    Indeed - at the bottom is fine but this is what I mean.

biko wrote:
    Indeed - at the bottom is fine but this is what I mean.

I see what you mean. I didn't really notice it tbh, I just automatically scroll down when I click into the forum. Mention it in Feedback I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This one will be tricky to mod for me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

this will be my one and only post in Tar Éis na hUaire(translation anyone?)as i don`t know the language,seems a good idea though as there are plenty of irish speakers out there,quite suprising really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

county wrote:
    Tar Éis na hUaire(translation anyone?)

= After Hours :D

Well done on getting the forum set up, good to see its getting some traffic. I hope to dare to post something in there someday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

This one will be tricky to mod for me. :D

Since phonetically it sounds like "Tar is a whore"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Will there be any lee way given to posting an occasional word in English if a poster doesn't know the word they are thinking of as gaelige? Not whole sentences or anything you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Giblet wrote:

It does!

Anyways, the mod column can be removed alright, but then it gets removed from all forums on boards too.

Tbh, if it's becoming such a hassle, maybe the forum can be moved into to the parent forum of Rec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Giblet wrote:

lol! i like it ;) suits him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Are any of the mods fluent enough in Irish to moderate what's being said in there? I know hullaballoo is pretty fluent, but he's not a mod there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Faith wrote:
    Are any of the mods fluent enough in Irish to moderate what's being said in there? I know hullaballoo is pretty fluent, but he's not a mod there.
    Uh, yeah he is. As is simu.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Uh, yeah he is. As is simu.

:o

I never actually checked the list of mods, I just assumed it was the normal AH ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Mwuha - my plot to force nesf and Tar to be exposed to Irish is working exceedingly well :D

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Will there be any lee way given to posting an occasional word in English if a poster doesn't know the word they are thinking of as gaelige? Not whole sentences or anything you know?
    Yeah, of course. It's just as much about enabling users to learn more Irish as it is for people with already fluent (or thereabouts) Irish to come and have a chat.

Considering there are no words in Irish for certain English words (or else ridiculous Gaelicised English, like "cat" for "cat" or "carr" for "car" etc.), it would be just a tad harsh to have a "No Béarla" policy.

So, you can come in and chat: "Is mise hullaballú agus tá mé go maith. An bhfuil sibhse alright?" etc. Not: "Hi, I'm hullaballoo and I'm go maith. Are you all ceart go leor?"

Yeah, the odd word of English or any other language is fine once most of the contents of a post are in Irish. So don't worry about it, folks!

Considering there are no words in Irish for certain English words (or else ridiculous Gaelicised English, like "cat" for "cat" or "carr" for "car" etc.), it would be just a tad harsh to have a "No Béarla" policy.

Btw, cat in Irish actually comes from the Latin cattus and the word carr is an old Irish word meaning waggon or cart. In fact, the word car in English seems to be a borrowing from a Celtic language (according to dictionary.com anyways). So, cat and carr have been around for ages and ages. But certainly, Irish has borrowed many words from English - unsurprising given the proximity of England and the global strength of English nowadays.

Haha - being pedantic on AH is great! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

What were you doing looking up car in the english dictionary?!

InFront wrote:
    What were you doing looking up car in the english dictionary?!

I wanted to see if it had the same origin as the Irish word. You can't just assume these things. :p

Well, I was going to check in a proper English dictionary rather than dictionary.com but I'm too lazy to walk over to the shelf and get it. : :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lol! i like it ;) suits him
    Quiet you. Back in your box.
    simu wrote:
    Mwuha - my plot to force nesf and Tar to be exposed to Irish is working exceedingly well
    When I got a text about the creation of the forum, I immediately knew you were the one that did this to me!
    I believe my return text was something like, 'is simu mod yet, who did she sleep with to get this created? and what does Tar is a huaire mean?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

People text each other about boards? :eek: NERRRRRDS!!!!

Oh you have no idea. ;):)

Oh, it's not people that text mods, it's the supercomputer that runs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Would you not call a car a 'gluistean' (with a fada on the 'a' - my keybard isnt working properly :D ) ? anyway, great idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

i think gluisteán is just a general vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Meh to irish, they need to get rid of irish and introduce computer classes into schools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Meh to irish, they need to get rid of irish and introduce computer classes into schools
    Dropping religion instead would make far more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

QFT.

• Advertisement

Pft, I didn't have religion in secondary school

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

simu wrote:
    Yeah, the odd word of English or any other language is fine once most of the contents of a post are in Irish. So don't worry about it, folks!

Btw, cat in Irish actually comes from the Latin cattus and the word carr is an old Irish word meaning waggon or cart. In fact, the word car in English seems to be a borrowing from a Celtic language (according to dictionary.com anyways). So, cat and carr have been around for ages and ages. But certainly, Irish has borrowed many words from English - unsurprising given the proximity of England and the global strength of English nowadays.

Haha - being pedantic on AH is great! :)
    Shup simu. I knew that. It was a test to see how good the co-mods are. You passed. Comhghairdeas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Changing the way both are taught is a better idea I think.

I don't believe Irish should be expelled from the curriculum, but I do believe Religion is a more important international subject. Its a pitty its gone straight to the dogs in our system and looked upon as if a doss class, or something best left well enough alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

both are equaly pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

nesf wrote:

ask the powers that be to change the table width's if you shrink the forum title column a bit and increase the column where the moderator names are then you will save loads of space.

jaggeh wrote:
    ask the powers that be to change the table width's if you shrink the forum title column a bit and increase the column where the moderator names are then you will save loads of space.

Wouldn't it be a site-wide change though? (Bear in mind that I really know almost nothing about this kind of stuff). ;)

• Advertisement

I believe you can edit iindividual fora like that in VB, not sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Hold Alt Gr and type a vowel. If that doesn't work, copy and paste one of thir vowels. You can Also do it with ASCII codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

nesf wrote:
    Wouldn't it be a site-wide change though? (Bear in mind that I really know almost nothing about this kind of stuff). ;)

Yup!

The only way around it is to make AH use a different theme where the templates have been altered.

Only gripe there is that there is a good number of people that have a different theme set rather than the default white.

There may be other complicated ways by using conditionals for either settings used in the usercp or by usergroup.

• Advertisement

There are ways, I have no idea of how to write vbulletin yet though.
    Easy?

Peasy.

Oh, I get it. Haw haw. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So if there's an Irish-only subforum in AH, does this mean we can ban people posting in Irish in AH itself? Fair's Fair, after all...

So if there's an Irish-only subforum in AH, does this mean we can ban people posting in Irish in AH itself? Fair's Fair, after all...

If people start posting threads here solely in Irish then they will be moved, as they have always been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So if you post in English in the Irish forum, you get banned from both forums, but if you do the opposite, your post just gets moved? Ah, nothing like equitable language policies. Takes me back to my school days.

It's because the fora have different reasons for existing.

Advertisement