Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Radio fitting problems

Options
  • 14-04-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Got a new radio which I fitted today. Got it all in relatively easy. But when I turned it on I noticed that once it powers up there is a noise coming from the speakers. It is an electrical noise, something similar to what old phone chargers sounded like before you plugged a phone into them. Nearly like a feedback..

Does this point to something not being correctly connected or has anybody any other ideas what it could be?????????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

Anyone?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Sounds like you might be getting interference feeding back through the speakers. Bring it to a professional & get the wiring checked.

Does the noise you're hearing change when you rev the engine?

So when you say a professional are you referring to an electrician??

Do you have any idea what could cause this interference?

muddle84 wrote: »
    So when you say a professional are you referring to an electrician??

Do you have any idea what could cause this interference?

Not a domestic electrician, an auto-electrician or someone who sells & installs car radios.
    Interference can be caused by a bad earth or a live signal feeding back into the radio somehow among other things. Or it could be a fault in the radio itself. The easiest way to find & solve the problem is to bring it to someone who has experience with similar problems.

Does the noise change when you rev the engine?

Ok I get ye. I cant do that though until ive convinced myself that I cant fix it myself!!! Its just the way my mind works!!!! ;)

The noise is at a constant pitch no matter how I rev the engine. Could this be anything to do with the red and yellow wires that can be swapped in the new loom?

• Advertisement

If the pitch doesn't change with engine revs it's probably not alternator interference like I thought.
    There are too many variables. Without seeing the car & the way the radio is wired it could be difficult to nail down what's causing the problem. My advice is to bring it to a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

What is the make of your new radio and to what car is it fitted

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    If the pitch doesn't change with engine revs it's probably not alternator interference like I thought.
    There are too many variables. Without seeing the car & the way the radio is wired it could be difficult to nail down what's causing the problem. My advice is to bring it to a professional.
    Thanks for your help!!
    What is the make of your new radio and to what car is it fitted

It is a 08 Toyota Avensis and the radio is a Pioneer AVH-X3500.

This radio requires that you take a feed off the handbrake switch. Could this have something to with it?

Handbrake switch is just so you can't watch videos etc unless the handbrake is on. What is it connected to in the car?

Yeah I figured that, it is connected to the wire feeding the handbrake switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

To eliminate car or radio I would try and power up your Pioneer in another car or on a workbench.

So I got the replacement radio and fitted it. No buzzing sound with the speakers on. The sound is alot better than the other unit too!!! Happy out!!!

Advertisement