Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tying me some Ale

• 21-03-2014 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭

Never a big fan of lager and for that reason I rarely drink. However I've decided to get a few different bottles of ale this weekend to sample and see if I've been doing it wrong.

Ordered a bottle each of:
    Bishops finger Kentish Ale
    Innis & Gunn Rum Finish
    Wells Banana Bread Beer
    Wells Waggle Dance
    Wynchwood Hobgolbin Ruby Beer

Am I in for a treat or will I go blind drinking re-branded turpentine ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You might get a bit of fun out of them, but really they're mostly quite a tame bunch. All are from huge and well-established breweries so not exactly bathtub operations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Throw the Banana Bread Beer down the sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

BeerNut wrote: »
    You might get a bit of fun out of them, but really they're mostly quite a tame bunch. All are from huge and well-established breweries so not exactly bathtub operations.

I'm a far cry from a connoisseur though and probably wouldnt have the palate for anything to mad.

I guess its not gonna be the amazing banana'y extravaganza I thought it might then ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

People keep saying things like that. I like it (not all the time, just once or twice a year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The Banana Bread beer is awful. I'm also a banana enthusiast, so it pains me to say it.

I quite like Hobgoblin, especially given that it's typically quite cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That's not a bad "starter" selection.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I quite like the banana bread beer myself

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

not my favourite, by a long shot, but still a decent representation of the style.

Innis & Gunn Rum Finish
    Innin & Gunn get some stick, but their beers are ok-ish, this one is a very sweet. I like it, but it's not to everyone's tastes. The sweetness kind of overpowers any hop bitterness.

Wells Banana Bread Beer
    It's banana-ish, and not much else, there are some hops for balance. Kind of thing you get once, and if you like you might get again in a couple of months.

Wells Waggle Dance
    Not very honey-ish, so don't expect huge sweetness. I prefer the Fullers Honey Dew in this particular style.

Great Beer! lovely stuff, and a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Try and get to Aldi and pick up the 3 O Shea's beers. €1.89 each.

Also Super Value doing 4 of the Bru beers for €10.

Both of the above breweries have a Stout, Red Ale and an IPA.

Drink the ale and stout cool and ipa cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I didn't think a beer, or any type of drink for that matter, could have a slimy texture, but then I had Banana Bread Beer. Vile stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

Never a big fan of lager and for that reason I rarely drink. However I've decided to get a few different bottles of ale this weekend to sample and see if I've been doing it wrong.

Ordered a bottle each of:
    Innis & Gunn Rum Finish
    Wells Banana Bread Beer
    Wells Waggle Dance

Am I in for a treat or will I go blind drinking re-branded turpentine ?

You has been to Tesco mate..havn't you ?

Them beers you picked would all be pretty expensive by comparison to say the East Euro beers that i favour.

Try Karpackie / Lomza / and Tyskie see what you think ?

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    You has been to Tesco mate..havn't you ?

Them beers you picked would all be pretty expensive by comparison to say the East Euro beers that i favour.

Not Tesco, supervalu :p

The reason I want to try a few ales is because I'm not a big beer drinker. And I'm looking for something to drink a bottle every now and again as a treat. In that sense I dont mind paying a little bit more as I wont be drinking much.

Admittedly I know very little about these things but I was drawn to the talk of fruits, honey and sweetness in the descriptions of the ales. Sounds like something that might be up my alley.

Not Tesco, supervalu :p

The reason I want to try a few ales is because I'm not a big beer drinker. And I'm looking for something to drink a bottle every now and again as a treat. In that sense I dont mind paying a little bit more as I wont be drinking much.

Admittedly I know very little about these things but I was drawn to the talk of fruits, honey and sweetness in the descriptions of the ales. Sounds like something that might be up my alley.

MMm I see where you is coming from...most beer drinkers would go for the slightly bitter taste...having said that i came across a beer in JC'S in Swords called - Lomza - With honey.

It's pretty strong and has a definite honey flavour which most beer drinkers probably would not like.

Not sure if they still have it ..but was quite nice .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The OP said they didn't like lager :confused:

Tried the Waggle Dance tonight. As said it wasnt very honeyish so wasnt as sweet as I'd expected or hoped. Still ok, but I wouldnt buy it again I dont think and would be hoping for something a little sweeter or more interesting from the rest.

The OP said they didn't like lager :confused:

So he did! Not great on detail me. !:(

Tried the Banana Bread Beer tonight and given the response to it earlier I wasnt expecting much. Was less bitter than the waggle dance and there was a nice taste of banana off it.

Have to say I quite liked it, probably not enough to drink it regularly but its an interesting one to have every now and again I think. Definitely prefer it to the waggle dance so far anyway.

Sampled the Innis and Gunn one tonight. Initially didnt like the rum finish on it to be honest I though it was a bit much, but it did grow on me. It was almost like a rum and coke with the taste of rum kind of masking the bitterness.

All in all maybe a little bit heavy for me personally but another interesting one to have from time to time.

For your next batch, why not try one of each of the O'Hara's bottled range? Perhaps with a German wheat beer like Schneider-Weisse replacing Curim, which seems to divide opinion. All should be readily available in your local Tesco or Super Valu and will give a great introduction to some of the broadly popular styles in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Ravelleman wrote: »
    For your next batch, why not try one of each of the O'Hara's bottled range? Perhaps with a German wheat beer like Schneider-Weisse replacing Curim, which seems to divide opinion. All should be readily available in your local Tesco or Super Valu and will give a great introduction to some of the broadly popular styles in Ireland.

I'll try pick up those next time, thanks for the recommendation. There's a Wychwood ginger beer I was thinking of getting next time too. A quick google shows a lot of negative reviews but nearly all of them have issue with it being too sweet which I'm not sure I'd mind. Could be another interesting one like the banana bread beer perhaps ?

Ginger beer is making a bit of a comeback, and in my opinion the Wychwood is one of the best (I think it's called Ginger Beard), I don't find it cloyingly sweet like the Ginger Joes you often see around.

Ginger beer is making a bit of a comeback, and in my opinion the Wychwood is one of the best (I think it's called Ginger Beard), I don't find it cloyingly sweet like the Ginger Joes you often see around.

Thanks, I'll pick up that Ginger Beard next time then.

Currently sampling the Hobgoblin. Very fruity and doesnt have much of a bitter after-taste. I'm probably influenced in no small part by the name and bottle too (because its just brilliant) but I'd say its the pick of the bunch so far. I'd enjoy drinking that again.

it's a great beer, in fairness. Even better on tap, and even better again from a cask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Hobgoblin is beautiful.

Dont have it too cold. More taste

Bishops Finger tonight and its ok but a bit strong for my liking. The more I went through it though the more I got the fruity taste and the less the bitterness bothered me. Probably wouldn't buy it again but wouldn't turn my nose up at it either.

All in all I think I got an interest selection and I've gotten a new found appreciation of beer, considering prior to this I would have maybe drank a few bottles of Millar every now and then to be social.

I'll be picking up some new ones next week along with another couple bottles of Hobgoblin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Bishops Finger tonight and its ok but a bit strong for my liking. The more I went through it though the more I got the fruity taste and the less the bitterness bothered me. Probably wouldn't buy it again but wouldn't turn my nose up at it either.

All in all I think I got an interest selection and I've gotten a new found appreciation of beer, considering prior to this I would have maybe drank a few bottles of Millar every now and then to be social.

I'll be picking up some new ones next week along with another couple bottles of Hobgoblin.

Might be worth giving pale ale a go. It's a very common style at the moment and there's some real quality ones around. You need to develop a taste for bitter hops so something like a Sierra Nevada pale ale is a great one to start. I've often seen it in tescos or any good offie. Small bottles with a bright green label (ensure you don’t get Sierra Nevada torpedo ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

I second any wheat beer suggestions. Franziskaner in Lidl, Schofferhoffer (or something) in Aldi are cheap as chips, with Schneider Weisse (as already recommended) being a top one. They would be sweet, fruity and a little spicy, and all the while staying drinkable and refreshing. Great for someone getting into beer outside of lager.

Just tried that Ginger Beard. Very sweet and very gingery. And turns out I'm not a big fan of ginger.

All in all I didn't like it at all and unfortunately the bottle will be going down the sink as I cant bring myself to finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just tried that Ginger Beard. Very sweet and very gingery. And turns out I'm not a big fan of ginger.

All in all I didn't like it at all and unfortunately the bottle will be going down the sink as I cant bring myself to finish it.

I think I've only ever had one beer that had ginger in it that I've enjoyed. I think it may be a bit like marmite.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think I've only ever had one beer that had ginger in it that I've enjoyed. I think it may be a bit like marmite.

have you had Rascal's Ginger Porter?

Thought that was amazeballs.

have you had Rascal's Ginger Porter?

Thought that was amazeballs.

No, but I shall if I see it somewhere.

Williams Brothers do a ginger porter called Midnight Sun, which I have bought several times, but never been convinced by. It just adds an unpleasant sour tang to an otherwise tasty beer.

Drinking Schneider Weisse tonight and I'm finding it fruity with no bitterness and just really nice. I drink that all night to be honest. Thanks to everyone who recommended it.

Would that lack of bitterness be characteristic of most wheat beers ?

Drinking Schneider Weisse tonight and I'm finding it fruity with no bitterness and just really nice. I drink that all night to be honest. Thanks to everyone who recommended it.

Would that lack of bitterness be characteristic of most wheat beers ?

Yeah wheat beers tend to be sweet with a touch of fruitiness. The sweetness tends to be balanced with fairly high carbonation. I'm actually having a Franciscan Well Friar Weisse as I type :)

I forgot how much I like wheat beers. It was the beer style that first got me into drinking different beers. It's all about experimentation though, trying different styles and developing favourites.

• Advertisement

Drinking O'Hara's Pale Ale now and I find it a little odd. Has a really strong fruity or zesty kind of an after-taste. I took an instant dislike to it for that but by the time I finished the bottle I quite liked it. Kind of masks the bitterness a bit or something.

Drinking O'Hara's Pale Ale now and I find it a little odd. Has a really strong fruity or zesty kind of an after-taste. I took an instant dislike to it for that but by the time I finished the bottle I quite liked it. Kind of masks the bitterness a bit or something.

That fruity zestiness is the hops. The bitterness also comes from the hops too. It can be a flavour that takes time to get used to.

That fruity zestiness is the hops. The bitterness also comes from the hops too. It can be a flavour that takes time to get used to.

I was thinking that as I drank it that it might be the hops given it was coming through along with the bitterness, hadnt noticed it on any of the others though. Wouldn't have minded another bottle of it just to see how that went down.

As it is I've moved onto the O'Hara's Irish Red. Bit heavier but without the bitterness. Has a kind of heavy/smokey/rich/sweet taste to it. Pretty nice too.

As it is I've moved onto the O'Hara's Irish Red. Bit heavier but without the bitterness. Has a kind of heavy/smokey/rich/sweet taste to it. Pretty nice too.

Red ales tend to have less hops added compared to an IPA. The flavours you're getting from the red are from the malts used. Roasted malts, etc. Malt is also where a beer gets its sweetness.

Interesting comments here ...have to say I would fall into the category of "ordinary lager" drinker..but the stuff on here might tempt me into trying some new ales.

Young Baz seems to know his ales...for sure !

• Advertisement

Interesting comments here ...have to say I would fall into the category of "ordinary lager" drinker..but the stuff on here might tempt me into trying some new ales.

I'm far from young! ;) But I do know a thing or two about ales, as do most people around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

I think it's time to go balls to the wall... A bottle of Of Foam and Fury and a bottle of Serria Nevada Torpedo!

OFAF is the closest Ive ever come to a religious experience :pac:

Give brooklyn lager a try. It's a Vienna style. Gorgeous, but I've found it gives me a bad hangover.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Give brooklyn lager a try. It's a Vienna style. Gorgeous, but I've found it gives me a bad hangover.

Where would a body procure this hangover drink...haven't seen it anywhere ?

Where would a body procure this hangover drink...haven't seen it anywhere ?

Most decent offies that sell craft beer would stock it. It's generally sold in 6-packs. Drinkstore have it online also http://www.drinkstore.ie/Brooklyn-Lager-355ML-030613000012/

You can also get it in Superquinn (now Supervalu).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You can also get it in Superquinn (now Supervalu).

Really fookin annoyed that Supervalu don't do the 6 for 5 that SQ used to do. :mad:

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Really fookin annoyed that Supervalu don't do the 6 for 5 that SQ used to do. :mad:

The prices were just about acceptable with the offer, but without it they're borderline taking the p1ss.

The prices were just about acceptable with the offer, but without it they're borderline taking the p1ss.

Too true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lovely selection of pale ales too but at full whack it's just too much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement