Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who talk about their tattoos

Options
  • 13-02-2014 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Is it just me who finds people who talk about there tattoos annoying as hell, one off the lads got one on his chest and all he talks about is the artist as if he was best friends with him and the sleeve hes getting done and just how much better his is than everyone elses.
    Then again maybe its just me who thinks getting a tattoo off the cuff and then talking about a sleeve as soon as you get home is just stupid :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Maybe he's a guy who never really takes chances or does anything exciting, and just maybe he's really delighted and proud off his tattoo, and is looking for your 'backing' at his new found confidence! There's no harm in that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

ardle1 wrote: »
    Maybe he's a guy who never really takes chances or does anything exciting, and just maybe he's really delighted and proud off his tattoo, and is looking for your 'backing' at his new found confidence! There's no harm in that
    You could be right, more the mine is better than everyones attitude thats grating on me than the Ive a tattoo. Saying that, I think talking about it at nearly every opportunity is still douchey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

astonaidan wrote: »
    You could be right, more the mine is better than everyones attitude thats grating on me than the Ive a tattoo. Saying that, I think talking about it at nearly every opportunity is still douchey

Well talking about yourself (whatever about) all the time is douchey regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I love my tattoos.
    The only reason I don't talk about them constantly, is because I can't see why anybody else would have any interest in my tattoos as they're personal to me.
    (I've no interest in anyone else's- to be blunt.I can admire the work of art-yes-but that's about it.It'd be like someone showing me their photo album- yawn inducing, perhaps this is just me??)

Only a few people in my circle of friends, and my immediate family know I have tattoos and it will stay that way, as I'm a private person.

That man-perhaps he's just that kind of person who likes to talk about himself, and would be like that tattoos or no tattoos?

I love my tattoos.
    The only reason I don't talk about them constantly, is because I can't see why anybody else would have any interest in my tattoos as they're personal to me.
    (I've no interest in anyone else's- to be blunt.I can admire the work of art-yes-but that's about it.It'd be like someone showing me their photo album- yawn inducing, perhaps this is just me??)

Only a few people in my circle of friends, and my immediate family know I have tattoos and it will stay that way, as I'm a private person.

That man-perhaps he's just that kind of person who likes to talk about himself, and would be like that tattoos or no tattoos?
    Yeah kinda I suppose when we play the game how long before he mentions what he lifts in the gym, I shouldnt get annoyed at him talking about his tattoos now.
    I just have a feelings on tattoos that they are for you and not to talk about. Like Ive a tattoo on my forearm for past 3 years which I have never brought up in conversation, my brother has a full sleeve and hes the same, smile if someone says its nice and thats it. Ive never mentioned how much it costs or the Artists name as if were buddies. I just think going in getting a tattoo off a wall is just stupid, I dont see the connection you can have with it:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

astonaidan wrote: »
    I just think going in getting a tattoo off a wall is just stupid, I dont see the connection you can have with it:confused:

I do agree with you.But not everyone is like us.

I have a friend, and all he can talk about is farming.I have absolutely zero interest and he would quite happily interrupt(and often does) any conversation to talk about his passion.Another friend, and the GAA is his passion.
    I mean, both would even manage to talk about it at a funeral.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.Your colleague's passion is obviously his tattoos.

I do agree with you.But not everyone is like us.

I have a friend, and all he can talk about is farming.I have absolutely zero interest and he would quite happily interrupt(and often does) any conversation to talk about his passion.Another friend, and the GAA is his passion.
    I mean, both would even manage to talk about it at a funeral.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.Your colleague's passion is obviously his tattoos.
    I get what your saying about peoples passions, having a tattoo for a week and all off a sudden it being your life is different to farming and GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jms2013

Nothing wrong getting something off the wall! Vast majority of traditional tattooing is referenced from flash from the old school guys like Sailor Jerry,Bert Grimm,Ed Hardy,Rollo etc anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Meelah

In terms of him talking about the artist as if they were best buddies now, I think some people do find the tattoo process to be a bonding experience with the artist. After all you're placing a huge amount of trust in this stranger - not to ruin the tattoo, not to injure you or give you an infection etc. Some may find that more of an emotional experience than they expected and in lads that's going to come out as talking like they're best buddies.

Not to mention tattoos can be so addictive! I just got my first one two months ago and already can't wait to get another!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I feel the same as Princess Bride, I admire other peoples tattoos and I'm sure other people admire mine but I don't talk about them.

I work in a job where almost noone is tattooed, when people spot mine and ask me about them I just sort of laugh and say "ah yeah, I've a bit of a collection", it's only when people keep probing (and sometimes they do) that I'll elaborate, then they start explaining each of theirs and I've to act all enthusiastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Astonaidan your friend does sound a bit much but not because he likes his tattoo just the fact he describes his better than anyone else's.

tfak85 wrote: »
    I feel the same as Princess Bride, I admire other peoples tattoos and I'm sure other people admire mine but I don't talk about them.

I work in a job where almost noone is tattooed, when people spot mine and ask me about them I just sort of laugh and say "ah yeah, I've a bit of a collection", it's only when people keep probing (and sometimes they do) that I'll elaborate, then they start explaining each of theirs and I've to act all enthusiastic.

This now I'd be the complete opposite, none my friends have tattoos really so I don't bore them with it but if I meet someone who likes tattoos I could talk for hours not about there deep meaning or anything but about the work , detail etc that gone into it. I've helped a few people in work find the right artist for there tattoos etc when they asked for advice.

Fcuk the whole reason I spend a lot of time in here is as an outlet to talk about something I have a passion for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

some people ask if you have any tattoos just so they can go ahead and show you theirs and babble on a bit.

a conversation starter.... but it just always seems like attention grabbing and I lose interest.

If you want everyone to know you have a tattoo, get it somewhere forever visable!

Advertisement