Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Killed the Honey Bee?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I was left with the notion that one main reason for the decline is the pattern of agriculture whereby wild flowers are significantly reduced, giving rise to "green deserts". Flowers in urban areas are plentiful and bee numbers and honey production outstrips countryside production.Certain insecticides may also be a negative factor. In this country, wet summers are a big problem-for the first time in several years I've seen huge numbers of bees and it has to be down to the warmer and drier summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I was left with the notion that one main reason for the decline is the pattern of agriculture whereby wild flowers are significantly reduced, giving rise to "green deserts". Flowers in urban areas are plentiful and bee numbers and honey production outstrips countryside production.Certain insecticides may also be a negative factor. In this country, wet summers are a big problem-for the first
    time in several years I've seen huge
    numbers of bees and it has to be down
    to the warmer and drier summer.
    Apparently it was almost too dry ... Nectar dryed up and the bees were swarming ....!!

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk doing Honey bees now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Eoghan Barra

This is an extremely interesting (and important) topic and thread. The BBC's original documentary (which is on YouTube, if anyone who missed it is interested) is excellent and thought-provoking. As they say in the documentary, we have pushed nature so far into the margins, turning the countryside into a green desert, with vast swathes of monoculture crops, treated with pesticides etc., and wildlands practically eliminated, that something had to give. (It's so ironic that bees are doing fine in the cities, but can't survive in the 'unpolluted' countryside.) This may be one of the first indications of many to come of just how damaging the 'take no prisoners' approach of agriculture to the natural environment has been.

Many thanks to Mike 65 for raising the issue, and to all the other contributors too.

(It's so ironic that bees are doing fine in the cities, but can't survive in the 'unpolluted' countryside.) This may be one of the first indications of many to come of just how damaging the 'take no prisoners' approach of agriculture to the environment has been.
    It also raises another question which has bugged me-payments to farmers to keep their land in an environmentally sound condition. Are other citizens paid not to trash their property?
    Why should that cost be borne by others? It doesn't take much to put some money aside to buy 50 thornquicks or 50 oak saplings-at most €50 euro. There has to be some personal responsibility for maintaining land, and for realizing that by leaving a swathe of untilled land/wildflower area benefits accrue.

• Advertisement

It also raises another question which has bugged me-payments to farmers to keep their land in an environmentally sound condition. Are other citizens paid not to trash their property?
    Why should that cost be borne by others? It doesn't take much to put some money aside to buy 50 thornquicks or 50 oak saplings-at most €50 euro. There has to be some personal responsibility for maintaining land, and for realizing that by leaving a swathe of untilled land/wildflower area benefits accrue.

It's important to remember that a farmer's livelihood is his farm, which is run pretty much like any other business, albeit with some important differences. A farm isn't comparable, for example, to a city garden, which is mostly for relaxing in.

Only a tiny minority of farmers are ever going to take decisions which are going to work directly against - as they see it - their ability to make a living from the land, such as leaving wild areas, or allowing them to develop - unless they are encouraged to do so financially.

In that they are no different from any other group of people. How many people (very few) used shopping bags that could be used over and over until the plastic bag tax was brought in. Then we all changed and stopped using the throwaway ones. That seems to be an unavoidable part of human nature.

So encouraging farmers financially to be more wildlife friendly is essential if we are serious about conserving what wildlife remains. The problem is that the current set-up (i.e. the CAP), despite pretending to encourage the preservation of wildlife, does largely the exact opposite. For example, penalising farmers who allow land to 'degenerate' into scrub - which in reality means disallowing the process of ecological succession back to native woodland.

0.5% of every owned plot should be left fallow by law, the land owner could choose the a single area or to split up the area so long as its 0.5%.

mike65 wrote: »
    0.5% of every owned plot should be left fallow by law, the land owner could choose the a single area or to split up the area so long as its 0.5%.

An interesting suggestion, though to make it really work farmers would have to be paid something for it, perhaps with duties attached, such as removing invasive species etc., as well as inspections.

To impose something without any attempt to get those most affected on board is rarely the right approach, either in terms of fairness or, more importantly, achieving the right end result.

It's important to remember that a farmer's livelihood is his farm, which is run pretty much like any other businesss they are encouraged to do so financially.
    So encouraging farmers financially to be more wildlife friendly is essential if we are serious about conserving what wildlife remains.

I took over the running of a farm 10 years ago. New gates, roadside plantings, hedgerow maintenance, planted shelter belts and copses. A neighbour asked me what REPS measures I was signed up to. I replied that I wasn't in REPS. He immediately told that I could get paid for what I was doing. So I signed up and got €5k/yr for the next five years, and had nothing to do. I reckon the total cost of what I had done cost €2k, which worked out €400/yr.
    Frankly I think I was overpaid by what REPS offered!
    I guess I have pride in what I have, and can see the benefits of what I am doing, know I have a duty as a caretaker of land and the wider environment, and know that there will be a financial benefit both tangibly and intangibly for future owners.
    Perhaps it's a mindset-to me €2k is a holiday so it's money better invested in what I did.
    However, in the case of forestry, the Cinderella of agriculture, once someone is into second rotation and the premia and grants have stopped and it's not supported by the state, best practice such as setback distances and other environmental considerations are mandatory.

I took over the running of a farm 10 years ago. New gates, roadside plantings, hedgerow maintenance, planted shelter belts and copses. A neighbour asked me what REPS measures I was signed up to. I replied that I wasn't in REPS. He immediately told that I could get paid for what I was doing. So I signed up and got €5k/yr for the next five years, and had nothing to do. I reckon the total cost of what I had done cost €2k, which worked out €400/yr.
    Frankly I think I was overpaid by what REPS offered!
    I guess I have pride in what I have, and can see the benefits of what I am doing, know I have a duty as a caretaker of land and the wider environment, and know that there will be a financial benefit both tangibly and intangibly for future owners.
    Perhaps it's a mindset-to me €2k is a holiday so it's money better invested in what I did.
    However, in the case of forestry, the Cinderella of agriculture, once someone is into second rotation and the premia and grants have stopped and it's not supported by the state, best practice such as setback distances and other environmental considerations are mandatory.

REPS, which was probably full of defects (I'm not that familiar with it) is pretty well gone now; it seems that there are replacements like aeos, but these are less of a gravy train than REPS from what I can gather.

I would be like you, periodictable, in terms of seeing the environmental side of things as important, but 99% of people won't be interested without an incentive, and 1% of the population aren't going to change much.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

With regards to the urban bees...I hate seeing house after house in this country with just nothing but concrete or paved driveway and not a single plant or flower in it.

There should be some sort of law which states that you must have a garden/green area of a particular size and porporition to your house/land size.

We created/made our front and back gardens as bee and insect friendly as possible and also we did the same on the alotment,to attract in the honeybees,wild bees and butterflys too.

Great idae. I's like to see it mandatory to plant and maintain a tree, even a dwarf tree for small gardens.

paddy147 wrote: »
    With regards to the urban bees...I hate seeing house after house in this country with just nothing but concrete or paved driveway and not a single plant or flower in it.

There should be some sort of law which states that you must have a garden/green area of a particular size and porporition to your house/land size.

We created/made our front and back gardens as bee and insect friendly as possible and also we did the same on the alotment,to attract in the honeybees,wild bees and butterflys too.

You're German aren't you?! ;)

As someone who has larger a than average modern suburban back garden with several large trees and bushes plus a selection big flowering shrubs I agree.

I was wondering if boosting the urban bee population could be a way to maintain pollination of crop, could a programme be developed to move hives to the countryside for the pollination of a specific crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 envaction

djpbarry wrote: »
    Are they trying to imply that food production would collapse without bees? Because that's complete nonsense.

That is the same thing that I was thinking. I mean I could see that happening because I have heard that bees are actually very important to life and food. So, I could see why it would be bad if we kept on killing them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

[mod] Old thread. Closed. [/mod]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement