Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine constantly accessing HD-vista problem?

Options
  • 06-09-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭

Got a Dell studio 15 two days ago, very happy with the machine but just noticed this morning that the hard-drive seems to be constantly accessed. I've had a look round the net and people seem to think it's an issue with Vista. Never had vista before so i'm not sure if this is normal. Disabled Superfetch and that seems to have helped but it's still ticking away even when the machine is closed. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

i'm pretty sure this is vista just indexing your HD for faster search times... I just let the machine on for the night and by next morning all was good..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Was wondering about that, but i've barely put anything on it. There seems to be a consensus that vista takes a few days to settle. It's just so irritating now that i've noticed it, this constant tick tick tick. Although, it does seems to be slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

i'm pretty sure you can have it fast index rather than doing it piecemeal in the background while you're doing some work... I'll go have a look on the interweb and get back to you.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/speed-up-or-disable-windows-search-indexing-in-vista/

have a look at this...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Cool. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its just Vista breaking itself in. First, it indexes areas of your hard drive for use with the start bar. Then, something it always does on a daily basis: It defragments your hard drive. This happens in the background, every day, at about 3am. If it doesnt need to be defragged obviously it doesnt run. But in the first 2 days, yes, it will be in need of it.

Its completely normal. But those processes run on a low priority, so will not interfere with anything you are doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement