Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is today a public holiday?

Options
  • 19-03-2007 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

Or just a bank holiday?

I can't seem to find answers anywhere else.

I know paddys day was a public holiday, but today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

It would want to be. I skipped college.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Paddys day was Saturday and is a public holiday but a public holiday is only on a monday usually so you get the next monday off which is today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Thanking you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yup, free days wage ! :D plus as i was working paddies day and got double time for that im making out like a bandit in the wages dept. makes you wonder how long it'll take before we get the european average though. if memory serves we get the least public holidays in the whole EU .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

if memory serves we get the least public holidays in the whole EU .

Memory is not serving you correctly, the UK gets less and to make matters worse, I'm typing this from work:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

. makes you wonder how long it'll take before we get the european average though. if memory serves we get the least public holidays in the whole EU .

I heard this too.
    I think the Labour party want two more public holidays and St. Bridgets Day (Feb 1st) has been choosen as one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I thought 17th March was the official Public Holiday and today is just a day in lieu because it fell on a saturday?

I think we are quite lucky in the sense they could just say tough titties if your public holidays fall on the weekend!!

SO if it falls on sunday next year we get the monday off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

r3nu4l wrote:
    Memory is not serving you correctly, the UK gets less and to make matters worse, I'm typing this from work:(
    Feeling your pain:( Although not all parts of the UK are the same (NI gets 2 more days, St Paddys and the orange marchy day).

Spain and Portugal get in the region of 12-14 bank holidays a year and I think the average is about 11 in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Trinity1 wrote:
    I thought 17th March was the official Public Holiday and today is just a day in lieu because it fell on a saturday?

I think we are quite lucky in the sense they could just say tough titties if your public holidays fall on the weekend!!

Read the section for public holidays falling on a weekend: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/public-holidays-in-ireland

It's a little more complicated than the above, but you are entitled to some day off/more pay/whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

nesf wrote:
    Read the section for public holidays falling on a weekend: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/public-holidays-in-ireland

It's a little more complicated than the above, but you are entitled to some day off/more pay/whatever.

So I am half right - its not a public holiday but a day in lieu. And they can still say tough titties the next working day but all in all you get something for it :)

Public holidays falling on a weekend Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, you do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. This occurred in 2005 when Christmas Day (25 December) fell on a Sunday. (New Year's Day 2006 also fell on a Sunday). This meant that Tuesday 27 December 2005 and Monday 2 January 2006 were not public holidays. When this happens you are entitled to the normal alternative arrangements concerning employment and public holidays that is:

A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off.
    Your employer can require you to attend work on those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

off the top of my head i reckon the most holidays would be in france, non? :D

its economy may be in the ****ter but the french certainly know its all about quality of life. all that and a 35hr working week. when the recession kicks in i'd almost be tempted to emmigrate there !:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Trinity1 wrote:

However, next year is a leap year, so one day extra in Feb. March 17th falls on a Monday next year... Still a long weekend though, so all's good!

Just had a look to see when Easter Sunday is next year & it's the 23rd of March!!! That means 2 long weekends in a row & then nothing til May. :mad: Think it's much better this year - a long weekend every month from March to June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Some people I work with couldn't believe that St Patrick's Day was a bank holiday in Northern Ireland.

In their ignorance they didn't realise that St Patrick is the patron saint of all Ireland, and brought Christianity (not Catholicism) to this country in the fifth century - almost 1,000 years before Protestantism.

As they thought Northern Ireland = loyalists / unionists, they assumed it would just be a normal day up there.

That sort of thinking really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

to answer the question.

no its not
    :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

off the top of my head i reckon the most holidays would be in france, non? :D

its economy may be in the ****ter but the french certainly know its all about quality of life. all that and a 35hr working week. when the recession kicks in i'd almost be tempted to emmigrate there !:D :D

Not always though. Sometimes we get 3 public holidays in May and other years we get none if they happen to fall on a weekend. We get 12 in all but rarely do they all fall between a monday-friday and often we only get about 9 in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 motorito

I'm Lithuanian.

since i here from January i got only first bank holiday, comparing Lithuanians had
    three already in year 2007:)

Advertisement