Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia Pale ale hack

Options
  • 18-04-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hey, today I decided to hack a coopers Australian Pale Ale. So I did the below;
    Steeped 250g carapils and 100 g crystal for 30 mins.
    Added 500g light DME and brought up to the boil.
    Then decided to add 25g of both citra and cascade to the mix at 15 mins.
    Added the kit, 600g DME and the mix from above to FV and topped up to 20litres.
    Pitched at 20c and OG 1045. Will leave it for 2/3 weeks depending on gravity readings and clarity.

First time using grains so we'll see what happens. Going to probably dry hop with a further 25g of citra and cascade but can adjust these quantities. I would like a nice hoppy ale!

Hopefully it'll turn out well but enjoyed using grains for the first time. Lovely smell but the misses is giving out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Looks good enjoy :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Griff77 wrote: »
    Lovely smell but the misses is giving out!

I wonder if this is like your own farts not smelling too bad. :D My wife also thought my brew smelled horrible, but I thought it was like a gift from the Gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Griff77

Cheers, in fairness to her, it was pretty potent smelling!

Fermentation has calmed down but will leave it a week before I add the hops. Not sure how much I'll add yet as I'll have to taste it and see how it's going. I have high hopes for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Griff77

So I took a gravity reading and it has dropped to about 1009 so pretty much there now but it is still pretty cloudy. I'll leave it another ten days or so.

So the sample I tasted had pretty up front bitter hit, somewhere between an American Pale Ale and and American IPA. Maybe a little too bitter for the style but pleasant all the same. Next time I would reduce the boil times or quantities I think. It's nice but I'm wondering what way to dry hop it next week. I have about 30g of Cascade and 75g of Citra. I was thinking of adding 20g Citra & Cascade with 6 days to bottling and then adding in another 20g of Citra with 3 days to bottling.

Any comments?

Advertisement