Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Masters Options

Options
  • 20-01-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hello! :)

I graduated in 2013 with a BSc (Hons) in Physiology, I have worked since then in office/admin work, but it's highly unlikely I'll find employment with my degree. I'm hoping to go back to college this year to complete a masters and have a few ideas on what I'd like to do (but employment options post graduation are a big concern). Hopefully someone here can shed come light on the following ideas?

Physiotherapy (pre-registration) - Many of these programmes in the UK but difficult to get into. I've always has this career path in my mind but getting full time work may be difficult?

Biotechnology - There seems to be some work in this area but not sure in what industries? Maybe a lot of competition for work? More suited to me as I'm not a fan of research.

Bioinformatics - Seems to be a growing area but more than likely a research career?

If anyone has any information on the above programmes I really would appreciate it, a little bit lost at the moment! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Have you considered becoming a clinical physiology technician? I'm not sure if the exact title but the job websites always seem to have vacancies for cardiac catheterisation technicians etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Forget job prospects for a second - What do you actually want to do? What are you passionate about?

What parts of Physiology did you find most interesting? CVS? Neuro? Pathophysiology? Immunology?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Thanks for the replies! I have seen a lot of those jobs yes but have not seen a conversion MSc programme, going back to start a second degree wouldn't be an option unfortunately.

I particularly enjoyed muscle physiology to be honest, but this would more than likely lead to a research career which I don't want. We did a few bioinnovation and plant biotechnology (recombinant DNA etc.) modules earlier in my degree which I found very interesting. I'm considering Biotechnology as it seems to be an industry based application of my degree, a lot of these MSc programmes have medical device and even business electives which I would be keen to take.

I understand the need to do something you're passionate about, but you have to balance that with realistic job opportunities. Biotechnology seems to be a diverse career so I could have scope to work in a biological setting more in line with my BSc (which I do intend to use), or am I reading it completely wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just out of curiosity when you say you're not a fan of research, what exactly do you mean? What don't you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

I just didn't enjoy the research aspect to my undergrad. Working in a lab, reading hundreds of peer reviewed papers and publishing my own research papers doesn't appeal to me.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd prefer to work in industry/private sector than in academia! :) To get back on point, would a masters in Biotechnology be beneficial in that sense? Employment opportunities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Seanh111 wrote: »
    Working in a lab, reading hundreds of peer reviewed papers and...
    Every graduate, especially science graduates, should be reading peer reviewed papers continuously in order to maintain their knowledge. A degree only gives you a set of skills, which should include self-directed learning.

If you don't like wet/bench lab work then you should look for qualifications that will get you into areas like regulation, compliance, quality Management, etc. I've no experience with the field but I have heard that WIT has an MSc based on quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 username26!

do you want to stay in ireland or go abroad?

Advertisement