Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glastonbury!!!!

• 26-06-2005 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

So...what do ye think??

I'd love to have been there! Well, for the music, the conditions would suck ass but hey if I got to see Rufus Wainwright, Brian Wilson, Jools Holland, Fat Boy Slim, Ash,The Magic Numbers and Bassment Jaxx all in one weekend-I think I'd stick it!!!

So who would ye have liked to see??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I watched Glastonbury last night on BBC3 and for frick' sake it was amazing.

Kaiser Chiefs seemed excellent, so too New Order, Kasabian were utterly stunning, Razorlight were excellent as usual and even Coldplay seemed to be really good.

I was watching Brian Wilson play there and he was amazing. The Beach Boys' summery tunes mixed with the sunshine and the happy crowd looked fabulous. Basemant Jaxx are headlining the Pyramid Stage tonight so that shall be good.

I'm gagging for Oxegen now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Absolutely excellent all round. Great coverage. Really enjoyed Razorlight, Kaiser Chiefs, New Order, ColdPlay, Garbage,Brian Wilson. Don't know about the mud. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Glastonbury was excellent this year! Luckily most of the bands I wanted to see are playing Oxegen anyway (The Killers, Razorlight, Bloc Party, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs) so I was getting really excited watching it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Yup :D I watched it all - sad, I know, since it was on tv, but I'm not supposed to be here, I'm waiting for a flight back to Canada and I'm bored ****less waiting! But all the same I was really looking forward to seeing it and I LOVED it!

I loved watching the White Stripes, Bloc Party, Coldplay, Ash, Kaiser Chiefs, Garbage, Brian Wilson, and ESPECIALLY Basement Jaxx!! Can't wait to see them in August!

I also enjoyed but not as much... Doves, Royksopp, Razorlight, Rufus Wainwright, New Order, Primal Scream & Jools Holland

I wanted to see but they didn't show them...Secret Machines, Rilo Kiley, James Blunt, Jem and Brendan Benson.

Yes, I have left out the Killers, for the sole reason that Brandon Flowers was as bland as a shoebox on stage, and thus an enormous disappointment to me after, like a large proportion of young college students, spending a year in love with their tunes! He stood there with little enthusiasm, expecting his clothes & make-up to do the work for him, but he just bored me. At least their songs are still great, but they need a better live show!

Anyway I'm heading to Glasto 2007, already have 5 or 6 troops coming along! Who else is going?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

I'm hoping to go in 2007 too

I thought The Killers were incredible, they really set the tone for the whole festival. Mr Brightside especially was brilliant. I'm so excited about seeing them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

I really enjoyed the BBC coverage of it from what I saw. Thought Coldplay,Brian Wilson and Kaiser Chiefs were great. I was sorry I missed James Blunt. What the f**k was up with that gom from Primal Scream having a sulk at the end of their set (which was crap).

Really looking forward to the Live 8 coverage on saturday now. I was thinking of buying a cheap DVD recorder to record it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭SteM

Really looking forward to the Live 8 coverage on saturday now. I was thinking of buying a cheap DVD recorder to record it.

Yeah, I'm going to try and record the whole lot on HD and then burn it onto DVD afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

What the f**k was up with that gom from Primal Scream having a sulk at the end of their set (which was crap).

I've always disliked Bobby Gillespie and last night he proved once and for all that he is one of the biggest c*nts in rock n' roll. Their set was terrible and was a set of band who are going down the drain. He knew it, the fans knew it and becasue there was fcuk all reaction to their set he starts calling the fans ''f**king hippies'', slags off Basemant Jaxx (who were utterley amazing and 100 times the band Primal Scream are) and the tosser starts having a go at Kylie :mad: What a pr!ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

I thought The White Stripes were brilliant and i dont really like basement jaxx but there set kicked some serious ass.It was like a carnival or mardi grais or something!!!Didn't see much of kasabian but they seem ok but not brilliant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I survived although a river did decide to flow through under my tent so we had a bit of a water bed effect going on for a bit on Friday morning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/robinph/Pict0068.jpg

But we got off very lightly compared to anyone further down the field as there were a couple of rivers down the hill that just ripped up any tents in their path and washed away the metal pathway.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/robinph/Pict0072.jpg

Was still an excellent weekend though. I thought Coldplay were actually a bit dull, but Brian Wilson in the sun doing all the Beach Boys tracks was superb.

Now have to get hold of a copy of all the coverage so that I can actually see some of the other acts that I missed while drinking pear cider. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Thankfully we dragged ourselves to the very far end of pennards hill before setting up tents - it nearly gave my mate a heart attack dragging everything up the hill but it was worth it as things stayed reasonable dry :)

My tent was reasonably old so it was several hours into the storm before it started springing any leaks - it was amazing to see the rivers at the bottom of the hill where tents had been the day before!

Great weekend though, first pair of wellies I've had in about 10 years I reckon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Best weekend ever and the rain just added to the mayhem :eek:
    We were going to bed on Friday morning around 4am and we could see lightning forks miles away in the distance. We just joked about it saying imagine if that thunder storm hit glastonbury. It was no joke about 5 hours later when we were woken by the strangely unpleasant 'glastonbury waterbed' feeling. When we were flying over on the Wednesday i was getting slagged by my mates for bringing wellies, i most definitely got the last last laugh.

Highlights for me were Kasier Chiefs(Got the crowd going with so much energy and quality tunes) , Coldplay(Absolutely amazing performance with the music and lighting coming together to create a stunning spectacle) and David Kitt(Anyone who was there will agree it just so bizarre it was good).
    Also was dissapointed that Paddy Casey and Ryan Adams were no shows :mad:
    eskimo wrote:
    Yes, I have left out the Killers, for the sole reason that Brandon Flowers was as bland as a shoebox on stage, and thus an enormous disappointment to me after, like a large proportion of young college students, spending a year in love with their tunes! He stood there with little enthusiasm, expecting his clothes & make-up to do the work for him, but he just bored me. At least their songs are still great, but they need a better live show!

Totally agree with this. I have been saying this for ages, i was also disgusted that the killers won the meteor award for best live performance by a non irish band in 2004. I was at the olympia for this gig, Brandon Flowers was completely uninterested and every song looked like an effort. Pretty much same story at glastonbury. Although he probably could be forgiven because of the fact that they have been touring on the same album for the last two years :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

The Killers will be gone by next year. Hopefully.
    They're really not that good.
    I don't know why people think they're soo good.
    Yeah they have some good songs, but nothing that will stay around for years to come, such as the Beach Boys(I know they're a different type of music, but all the same).

Didn't get to see any of Brian Wilson :/
    Although, BBC had excellent coverage of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

whoooo!

glasto. best thing ever.

my god, it was so damn good, musical highlights for me were the Zutons, rod n gabriella, van, brian wilson and ian brown

camped at the top of the hill in pennards (near stone circle) so 'twas grand for hardcore mud, though we did have that waterbed effect, quite nice for a while it was too!

... and David Kitt(Anyone who was there will agree it just so bizarre it was good).
    Yeah, Kitt was a highlight for me too - so many things going wrong and still a brilliant performance - "definitely the most wasted I've ever been for a gig!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I have never seen or heard a storm like that one, very scary but after that it was all smiles. Fantastic, the mother of all festivals it truly is, you have to go to believe just how good it really is. Heard loads of great music, hopefully i'll go back in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I woke up to the sound of the storm pretty early and it never really dawned on me that a flood as deep and as sudden as what hit us was a possibility. As I Sat there with the storm going on and on wondering how long my tent would keep me dry my ground sheet turned into a water bed. This was nice for all of 30 seconds when water started pouring in to the tent big style. I only managed to rescue my clothes which Id cleverly kept wrapped in plastic bags. my tent, sleeping bag, rucksack, toiletries and assorted other stuff was destroyed. My Passport, wallet and mobile phone made it out fortunately. The water was up to our shins by the time we started to get out of the tents. Ten minutes later it was waste high.

Yes we camped slap bang at the end of Pennards Hill. The worst possible place. Our campsite made page 2 of the Glastonbury Daily the next day. Our tents maybe a foot above water.

Out of our group only one managed to save his tent which is where I slept after this. The rest of the group (11 others) splashed out a horrible 220 sterling on 2 large 5 men tents and we recamped in much higher ground. I was able to revisit the flooded campsite later after it was drained but practically everything was filthy and probably a disease hazard.

Other than that things were great. A good atmosphere all round. upset I missed so much thanks to our drama and the state of the site but still what I did catch was excellent. Id probably go back in 2007... but just camp much much higher.

Oh yeh one other thing... in the acoustic stage tent bar guess what could be had? Porterhouse plain! The taste of home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

What the f**k was up with that gom from Primal Scream having a sulk at the end of their set (which was crap).

Their set was cut short by the event managers so I guess that's why they were sulking!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Toast wrote:
    Oh yeh one other thing... in the acoustic stage tent bar guess what could be had? Porterhouse plain! The taste of home.

Damn, I missed that one. :(

Toast wrote:
    I woke up to the sound of the storm pretty early and it never really dawned on me that a flood as deep and as sudden as what hit us was a possibility. As I Sat there with the storm going on and on wondering how long my tent would keep me dry my ground sheet turned into a water bed. This was nice for all of 30 seconds when water started pouring in to the tent big style. I only managed to rescue my clothes which Id cleverly kept wrapped in plastic bags. my tent, sleeping bag, rucksack, toiletries and assorted other stuff was destroyed. My Passport, wallet and mobile phone made it out fortunately. The water was up to our shins by the time we started to get out of the tents. Ten minutes later it was waste high.

Yes we camped slap bang at the end of Pennards Hill. The worst possible place. Our campsite made page 2 of the Glastonbury Daily the next day. Our tents maybe a foot above water.

Out of our group only one managed to save his tent which is where I slept after this. The rest of the group (11 others) splashed out a horrible 220 sterling on 2 large 5 men tents and we recamped in much higher ground. I was able to revisit the flooded campsite later after it was drained but practically everything was filthy and probably a disease hazard.

Other than that things were great. A good atmosphere all round. upset I missed so much thanks to our drama and the state of the site but still what I did catch was excellent. Id probably go back in 2007... but just camp much much higher.

We really considered ourselves lucky after seeing the devastation where you had camped. I was reading the official glastonbury boards and theres a guy on there who was camped where you were saying that he's thinking about taking legal action against the glastonbury organisers. Aside from ruined tent, clothes etc his argument is that there was supposed to be campsite stewards on duty 24hrs and they should have woken up the people who were obviously at risk from flooding. He's definitely got a point, imagine you had been out the night before and got totally wasted to point where not even water would wake you up. Somebody might have drowned? At the end of the day nobody was harmed and it was only material loss so i suppose you could just count your self lucky you awoke when you did.

• Advertisement

We really considered ourselves lucky after seeing the devastation where you had camped. I was reading the official glastonbury boards and theres a guy on there who was camped where you were saying that he's thinking about taking legal action against the glastonbury organisers. Aside from ruined tent, clothes etc his argument is that there was supposed to be campsite stewards on duty 24hrs and they should have woken up the people who were obviously at risk from flooding. He's definitely got a point, imagine you had been out the night before and got totally wasted to point where not even water would wake you up. Somebody might have drowned? At the end of the day nobody was harmed and it was only material loss so i suppose you could just count your self lucky you awoke when you did.

I don't think that there is much that they could have done really as it happened so quickly.

I forget what time it was that I got up, but I needed to visit the facilities and fetch my waterproofs and wellies from the lockup. It was raining heavily when I left my tent but there was no visible flow of water around it when I left but in the 15 mins that it took me the front of my tent then had nearly caved in due to the force of the water flowing directly at the door.

Also on my trip back to the tent there were no signs of the bigger rivers flowing through the campsite, but another 10 or so minutes later once my mate made the same trip the tents and roadways were getting washed away.

A lot of how it flooded though is just down to the fact that there were thousands of tents pitched very close together leaving nowhere for the rain to soak into the ground as it would do normally when just populated by cows.

Yeh I dont really hold the organisers responsible. Obviously this hadnt happened before and was a crazy set of circumstances that was so unlikely to be repeated / forseen. The ground was bone dry, a months worth of rain falling in 5hrs etc.

Anyway its well covered by the terms of conditions in your ticket which absolve the organisers of all responsibility for loss and damages. Not to mention this would be classified as an act of God.

The one thing that did annoy me was that after we'd abandonned the site and taken shelter in a cafe by the glade there was no information about any welfare efforts. Even the information point at the other stage (probably the closest point) had no info over an hour later. I read since getting back that there was allegedly free clothes / tents being handed out somewhere as a relief effort. Some stewards with bullhorns announcing this or at the very least keeping the lockup / info points uptodate on it would have been nice.

All things considered we all made it back and still had a good time.
    I could just imagine something like this happening at Oxegen though and it would have been a very very different situation with much more people screaming at the organisers and the whole point of being there forgotten very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

b_by_Hantori.jpg

a_by_Hantori.jpg

gf_by_Hantori.jpg

c_by_Hantori.jpg

Roll on 2007!!

RasTa wrote:
    It_begins____by_Hantori.jpg

Roll on 2007!!

amen to that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

amen indeed

you know i was always kinda dubious about people bringing their kids, but i would do it in a second. what an amazing place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

We arrived Friday afternoon and camped up on the hill behind the Cinema Field. It may have been a bit quiet up there but we were able to get some shut-eye and we were away from the mud - plus there was an amazing view of the whole festival from the front door of our tent.

Highlights - meeting a great bunch of people in Bristol airport who had been forewarned not to come to the site without wellies - and thanks too to Frank in Shepton Mallet who sold us our wellies for a tenner - best thing we bought over the weekend. Musically - New Order, Basement Jaxx and Brian Wilson (with special guest the sunshine) really shone. Away from the main stages we loved the zydeco band who played in a little tent in Greenfields on Friday night - cajun with a Bristol burr. Also Steve Earle, Glenn Tilbrook and - especially for ageing rockers like us - Dave Edmunds were great. And we danced like crazy for The Beat in Leftfield (told you we were ageing).

Biggest regret - apart from missing the Kaiser Chiefs - was not finding the pear cider - where was it?

I'm still raving about the weekend - I thought it was great from beginning to end - best of all was the happy atmosphere and we were really impressed with how friendly everyone was.

Here's to 2007 (but maybe in a campervan).

Unshelved wrote:
    Biggest regret - apart from missing the Kaiser Chiefs - was not finding the pear cider - where was it?
    Cider bus near the Leftfield tent - apparently I had some from there but I don't remember :D Also Brothers Bar which was to the side of Jazz Stage as far as I remember. Probably a few other places but that's where I had it :)

Did the cider bus have pear cider? They only advertised the regular and hot and spicy kind. The only place I found pear cider was at the brothers bar. It was well worth getting the big 2 litre bottles.

Toast wrote:
    Did the cider bus have pear cider? They only advertised the regular and hot and spicy kind. The only place I found pear cider was at the brothers bar. It was well worth getting the big 2 litre bottles.

No, the cider bus does not do the pear cider, that is only from the Brothers Bar near the flags in the Jazz field. The Bus does do some fairly potent other brews though and they will also add multiple shots of brandy to your Hot n' Spicey incase you get some strange feeling that its not quite strong enough for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement