Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 16.8m deficit

• 02-08-2012 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭

Rte shows 16.8million deficit ,

What on earth are the spending their money on?

Obviously they can't afford the mad salaries some of their 'stars', why haven't they been cut?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Brian Dobson's hair transplant.

Sharon Ni bheollalaiaialalalanaiiaaan's gallons of botox to counter act emotions.

Custard Cream's for all the "Z" rated "Celebrities", Brian Ormond / Katheryn Thomas / DEREK mooney etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's the cost of the space shuttle that takes the Nationwide team on a tour of strange places in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Pat Kenny needs a lot of Ronseal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Flashy graphics, ancient familiar show presenters, z-list celebrity fees for pointless US-styled talk shows, buying up popular TV series to stick them on at 2am so TV3/TG4 can't get at them, repeats of shows over the last 50 years because everybody wants to see that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

they had to rent them spinning chairs for The Voice at a cost of 1 million euro a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hard decisions need to be made. The channel itself needs to be mostly scrapped. Forget about 24 hour programming.

Important and popular items like the News, the Late Late, Primetime, International sport need to be kept.....drop everything else. The vast majority of the country get their entertainment shows from the US and England through other channels. A large chunk of the budget s spent on crap that nobody watches or cares about. Save the tax payer some money and cut your losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If you look at their football coverage, they always have 3 pundits. Even on MNS they have 3 pundits. Why the need to so many pundits? MNS was on the other day with 1 pundit and it was much better. Im sure the 3 dinosaurs they have on the Champions League and international coverage dont come cheap either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

The tax called TV license should be scrapped. If the government/society want state-funded media, it should come from general taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

If you look at their football coverage, they always have 3 pundits. Even on MNS they have 3 pundits. Why the need to so many pundits? MNS was on the other day with 1 pundit and it was much better. Im sure the 3 dinosaurs they have on the Champions League and international coverage dont come cheap either.

Dunphy, Brady and Giles' punditry/trolling is the most entertaining thing on RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

RTE is in desperate need of privatisation.

Let the market dictate what we, as a country, wish to see on our TV screens - not some bureaucrat pissing away taxpayers money for the sake of it. They should live and die as a result of performance - I can't believe these people manage to lose in ratings to private companies when they have 2 income sources i.e - adverts and taxpayers money.

The people at RTE are leeches, sucking the taxpayer dry. Who in the hell is Pay Kenny and what kind of talent does this sorry excuse for a TV presenter bring to the table to warrant the massive sums of money he's on - the same with Finucane, Duffy etc..they're scammers, brown envelopes living off the people of Ireland that wouldn't last 10 minutes in the competitive world of broadcasting.

RTE as a whole has shown to be biased so for those thinking we need a public broadcaster, let me ask you a question - where were RTE when the IMF were strolling down Kildare Street? Oh yeah, thats right...covering something else to dumb the masses. I wouldn't watch that crap if you paid me - an absolute circus over there in Donnybrook and more the idiots those are for willingly propping it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I'd imagine a lot goes towards buying rights to the Euros and the Olympics so that might explain some of it?

I'd love to see where the money is actually spent. Is it possible for us to see that actually considering it is a state owned company and we're paying for a good bit of it with our TV licenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Icepick wrote: »
    The tax called TV license should be scrapped. If the government/society want state-funded media, it should come from general taxation.

There would be even more people not paying for it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

_Gawd_ wrote: »

Let the market dictate what we, as a country, wish to see on our TV screens - not some bureaucrat pissing away taxpayers money for the sake of it. They should live and die as a result of performance - I can't believe these people manage to lose in ratings to private companies when they have 2 income sources i.e - adverts and taxpayers money.

The people at RTE are leeches, sucking the taxpayer dry. Who in the hell is Pay Kenny and what kind of talent does this sorry excuse for a TV presenter bring to the table to warrant the massive sums of money he's on - the same with Finucane, Duffy etc..they're scammers, brown envelopes living off the people of Ireland that wouldn't last 10 minutes in the competitive world of broadcasting.

RTE as a whole has shown to be biased so for those thinking we need a public broadcaster, let me ask you a question - where were RTE when the IMF were strolling down Kildare Street? Oh yeah, thats right...covering something else to dumb the masses. I wouldn't watch that crap if you paid me - an absolute circus over there in Donnybrook and more the idiots those are for willingly propping it up.
    Oh but sure Joe is a man of the PEEPLE :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sandwiches mostly.

Really nice sandwiches.

I mean REALLY nice sandwiches.

Have you ever had an RTE sandwich?

F*ckin' delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Seems like RTE 1 is the only one worth keeping, with it's measly profit of 2.7million. Suprising for stations that have so many ad breaks to loose so much

Kenny earns €729k

RTÉ One was the only profitable station for the broadcaster, reporting a profit of €2.7 million. RTÉ Two, however, lost €17.59 million, while radio station 2FM recorded a deficit of almost €5.4 million.

Pat Kenny is on around 700k a year (down from 900k). Where on earth would he even get 1/3rd of that at a different station? Who the hell negotiates these contracts?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Sandwiches mostly.

Really nice sandwiches.

F*ckin' delish!

I want an RTE Sandwich:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I'd imagine a lot goes towards buying rights to the Euros and the Olympics so that might explain some of it?

I'd love to see where the money is actually spent. Is it possible for us to see that actually considering it is a state owned company and we're paying for a good bit of it with our TV licenses?
    Commercially Sensitive Information-

or

-Too embarrassed to admit how much they pay to pump out crap 24/7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Boombastic wrote: »
    Seems like RTE 1 is the only one worth keeping, with it's measly profit of 2.7million. Suprising for stations that have so many ad breaks to loose so much

Kenny earns 729k

RTÉ One was the only profitable station for the broadcaster, reporting a profit of 2.7 million. RTÉ Two, however, lost 17.59 million, while radio station 2FM recorded a deficit of almost 5.4 million.

Well in that case I blame the stupid money RTE2 pay for American imports which they then show at 3am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They wouldn't run a chipper of a tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

radio station 2FM recorded a deficit of almost €5.4 million

That station used to make a profit as recently as three years ago

Now it's a money pit

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

It's all the cocaine for the green room.
    Oh, no, not cocaine. God, what am I on about. No, what d'you call them. Raisins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

johnmcdnl wrote: »

and their olympic coverage is total pants, they show so little of it live that I think I've seen most of the Irish competitors on the beeb before they show it on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Put all their highest paid staff on a maximum of 60k a year.If someone else wants to pay Pat Kenny/Joe Duffy/Tubridy/Miriam more than that (very unlikely) then let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Let the market dictate what we, as a country, wish to see on our TV screens

That would be a horrible idea. Look at the state of TV3, it's a joke of a channel. RTE should be looking to be the opposite, cut presenters pay across the board. Where is Pat Kenny/ Marion Finucane going to go? No one else will pay those ridiculous salaries.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Sandwiches mostly.

Really nice sandwiches.

F*ckin' delish!

What do they contain? Platinum dust, caviar, truffles from Mongolia and cocaine?

Is Kristal champagne available on tap in the staff canteen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The most insulting thing about the license fee is the presumption that I would watch RTE programming. Like if I own a television or computer I just wouldn't be able to help myself watching Nationwide. My brain cells are melding together thinking about it.
    The only reason I could ever see the justification for such massive super star salaries would be if I worked there myself.
    There is plenty of talent in Ireland. It would be great to see funding go to smaller projects. Film shorts, mini series and that kind of thing. RTE 2 could be very good that way instead of pissing money up the wall for imports that we all watch elsewhere.
    And the likes of Fair City need to die a death. Watching it is a difficult to describe experience. It's like RTE all **** into a bag and leave it behind a radiator before throwing it over your head and taping it on about your neck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

token101 wrote: »
    That would be a horrible idea. Look at the state of TV3, it's a joke of a channel. RTE should be looking to be the opposite, cut presenters pay across the board. Where is Pat Kenny/ Marion Finucane going to go? No one else will pay those ridiculous salaries.

TV3 makes a profit - so what of it?

TV3 can show whatever the hell they want - if 10 hours of Celebrity Gossip or Xpose doesn't float your boat well sorry about you - they're making a profit....key word here being ...PROFIT.

The same can't be said for RTE....tell me again, why should RTE be looking to be any different? They're doing something wrong...
    let RTE live and die within the market like TV3. These celebrity mainstream shows are what people want to watch - it doesn't appeal to me much but guess what, I've discovered there are buttons on my remote....you should change the channel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

token101 wrote: »

I don't mind TV3 at all.... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Pantsface wrote: »
    I don't mind TV3 at all.... :o
    If you watch their coverage of the GAA you'll change your mind rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

TV3 makes a profit - so what of it?

TV3 can show whatever the hell they want - if 10 hours of Celebrity Gossip or Xpose doesn't float your boat well sorry about you - they're making a profit....key word here being ...PROFIT.

The same can't be said for RTE....tell me again, why should RTE be looking to be any different? They're doing something wrong...
    let RTE live and die within the market like TV3. These celebrity mainstream shows are what people want to watch - it doesn't appeal to me much but guess what, I've discovered there are buttons on my remote....you should change the channel.

You have a link to their profits there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

Pat Kenny is on around 700k a year (down from 900k). Where on earth would he even get 1/3rd of that at a different station? Who the hell negotiates these contracts?

This guy doesn't represent Pat Kenny http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=noel%20kelly%20agent&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nkmanagement.ie%2F&ei=XsAaUMO2LdSzhAf0n4DoDQ&usg=AFQjCNE5D-TkIJBXRSSt5Xaksn7eijiIpA&cad=rja ..but he makes Ari Gold from Entourage look like a fcuking amateur.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Didn't Vincent Browne say on his show that he gets €60,000 a year for the TV3 gig?

It strikes me as backwards that upstarts like Colm Hayes (of Colm & Jim Jim fame) and Derek Mooney get paid multiples of that for the mindless nonsense they spout, compared with Brown who (say what you like about his beliefs) makes politicians squirm and really delivers the journalistic pursuit of accountability, on a nightly basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Obviously they can't afford the mad salaries some of their 'stars', why haven't they been cut?

Because they are the absolute cream, Brendan O'Connor in particular. The way he's says "C'mere" to all his guests, pure class. :rolleyes::pac:

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    If you watch their coverage of the GAA you'll change your mind rapidly.

i hate gaa

• Advertisement

later12 wrote: »
    Didn't Vincent Browne say on his show that he gets €60,000 a year for the TV3 gig?

It strikes me as backwards that upstarts like Colm Hayes (of Colm & Jim Jim fame) and Derek Mooney get paid multiples of that for the mindless nonsense they spout, compared with Brown who (say what you like about his beliefs) makes politicians squirm and really delivers the journalistic pursuit of accountability, on a nightly basis.

urgh

and as for that jim jim..... an awful ar^sehole of the HIGHEST ORDER

WASP0 wrote: »

Jaysis its like a who's who of pointless guests RTE constantly use to fill programmes

He's clearly good at his job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

WASP0 wrote: »
    That home-page makes me want to either slit my throat or leave the country-
    :mad:

later12 wrote: »

2fm presenter Colm Hayes who joined the station from FM104 in 2007. He earned €213,954 in 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Its an expensive year for them they had to cover the European and the Olympics. But still no excuse, its problem is it is with-in the public sector so it carries all those inefficiencies, it could downsize and get rid of some of its services, like the Iplayer perhaps 1 of its tele and radio stations and cut top salaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CorkBabe33

I would love to get a breakdown of how my TV licence is spent each year? But something tells me that if I ever did get this info it would make me very cross !!

2fm presenter Colm Hayes who joined the station from FM104 in 2007. He earned €213,954 in 2009

thats a fcuking disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

CorkBabe33 wrote: »
    I would love to get a breakdown of how my TV licence is spent each year? But something tells me that if I ever did get this info it would make me very cross !!

You are entitled to know, it is a public body, I don't know how to go about it but I am sure the imfo is available.

CorkBabe33 wrote: »

Revenue from the TV licence also declined, falling to €183.6 million for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

I'm not surprised that they are in such a deficit with such trash they put on such as that Truckers programme, pure and utter load of codswallop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Let the market dictate what we, as a country, wish to see on our TV screens
    We would only want to watch muck like X factor. Privatisation would turn RTE into the absolute lowest common denominator channel.

We should aim to be more like the BBC, they do go to lengths to educate their country. RTE's problem in my opinion is it doesn't know which way it's going. It likes to think it's on a par with BBC but acts more like Sky.

Like everything in Ireland it's money hungry and talent poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pantsface wrote: »
    i hate gaa

You do realise that you can watch the soaps in HD on the UK channels;)

TV3 is a poor mans ITV.

zerks wrote: »
    You do realise that you can watch the soaps in HD on the UK channels;)

TV3 is a poor mans ITV.

don't like soaps either

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Because they are the absolute cream, Brendan O'Connor in particular. The way he's says "C'mere" to all his guests, pure class. :rolleyes::pac:

If you recorded the progression of Cancer....this is what it would look like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Why don't the bosses at rte accept responsibility for this, how can these losses be acceptable.
    Clearly if you are running up losses like that you are not doing your job properly.

We need the top management to accept responsibility for their jobs and also to be accountable !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement