Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

free visit to opw sites on wednesday

Options
  • 01-08-2011 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

The OPW is doing free visits every first wednesday of the month for 2011,headind for rock of cashel on wednesday,please tell me i have not misread this.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Already been posted twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I had forgotten about this, thanks OP. Think I will head somewhere on wednesday:)

Just remembered after paying into the national heritage park today! Wonder of it's included?

Anyone recommend any sites around Wexford/Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Went down to Charlesfort at Kinsale last Wed - absolutely free. Well laid out and lots of good information from the guides.
    The coffee shop is a tad dear though.

PS - James Fort across the water is worth a visit - esp if you have dogs - you can ramble around the outside where on Saturday evening we met people playing footie, a well-endowed girl doing some sort of "glamour" shoot (she pulled her top on rapidly as we strode round the corner and her (female) photographer gave us a glare that would stop an elephant) and it looks like a place you could set up camp discreetly. The fort itself is sortof unofficially open - maybe just mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Just remembered after paying into the national heritage park today! Wonder of it's included?

Hi Whoops,

John F Kennedy Aboreteum and Tintern Abbey are also OPW sites included in the "Free on Wednesdays" scheme and are well worth a visit. Unfortunately I don't think The National Heritage Park is an OPW managed site so I don't think that it qualifies but I could be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time :D). Close by but not in Wexford is the Glendalough Visitors Centre in Wicklow or Reginalds Tower in Waterford.

The complete list of free access sites can be seen at the following link

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/

Enjoy

DC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

In Waterford I would recommend Reginalds Tower, not sure what its like now, but when I was younger I loved going in there.

Thanks guys, heading down Waterford way tomorrow so will try to get to some of those wednesday!

FWIW, the National Heritage Park is excellent - even if you have to pay :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Went to the rock of cashel yesterday with the kids and we all really enjoyed it,nice to see tourists coming in with their wallets out and being told it was free in for the day,good PR scheme for the OPW to be fair to them.

Advertisement