Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remove or approve??

Options
  • 16-11-2012 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭

From the times today
    Injunction prevents council from evicting family
    A Dublin family has secured a temporary High Court injunction preventing South Dublin County Council from evicting them from their home of almost 30 years.

David and Catherine McGowan, who live with their three adult children and two grandchildren at Cushlawn Park, Tallaght, fear they are in danger of imminent eviction due to a dispute over rent arrears, the court heard.

The house is subject to a tenancy agreement between the council and the McGowans since they moved in 28 years ago. The council claims there are rent arrears of €23,740. It secured a warrant for possession earlier this year.

Right, I thought these poor people can't keep up with their rent (even if it is at council house rates)...Probing a bit further I found this about the same family and lost all sympathy

June 19 2012 Judge evicts family on €1k a week for €20k arrears
    Aisling Ni Bhroin, senior staff officer in the County Council’s Housing Department, told the court that Mrs McGowan and her three children had weekly income of €1,180 on top of the undisclosed earnings of her taxi driver husband and the children’s father.

Ms Ni Bhroin said a working daughter had a wage of €542 a week; another working daughter was receiving €262 a week maternity benefit; Mrs McGowan was receiving a weekly disability allowance of €188 and the couple’s son was on a weekly €188 job search payment.

She said Mr McGowan was self employed but had failed to furnish documentary evidence of what he was earning. The weekly rent was €169 which had been reduced from €188 following an assessment.

Btw they are suing Ireland:confused:

The family has also brought proceedings against Ireland and the Attorney General claiming section 62 of the 1966 Housing Act, on foot of which the council moved to secure the possession order, is unconstitutional.

1. €169 rent/week split between the 4 adults is €42.25 each, surely this would have been manageable??

2. Also 2 children living there ( so they had childrens allowance on top of their income)

3. I think this is the real issue - they will, more than likely, be demanding all to be housed together in say a six bedroom house (IMHO)

If evicted, the family feared there was no prospect they would be accommodated together, Mr Bradley said.

:rolleyes:Some people in this country expect everything handed to them from the state and don't seen to realise what an easy ride they have been given:mad:

Should they be removed or do you approve?

I vote remove

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Am just trying to figure out how the hell they ended up owing that much in arrears? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Remove them. They got themselves into this mess so they can sort themselves out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

girl2 wrote: »
    Am just trying to figure out how the hell they ended up owing that much in arrears? :eek:

The didn't pay rent for a year and a half it seems

Cabbie Daniel McGowan and wife Catherine have withheld it for the last 18 months and fuming council bosses dragged them before a judge yesterday.

Mr McGowan refused to reveal his income from taxiing to the court

Mrs McGowan and her three children had weekly income of €1,180 on top of the undisclosed earnings of her taxi driver husband and the children’s father.

Why has he not been made to reveal his income?

€1,180 + his income+money from the childrens father +childrens allowance / week

and cheap rent. I think people like this have some cheek

Boombastic wrote: »
    The didn't pay rent for a year and a half it seems

Cabbie Daniel McGowan and wife Catherine have withheld it for the last 18 months and fuming council bosses dragged them before a judge yesterday.

Mr McGowan refused to reveal his income from taxiing to the court

Mrs McGowan and her three children had weekly income of €1,180 on top of the undisclosed earnings of her taxi driver husband and the children’s father.

Why has he not been made to reveal his income?

€1,180 + his income+money from the childrens father +childrens allowance / week

and cheap rent. I think people like this have some cheek

Surely the courts could get access to this information quite easily from the Revenue if he has been putting in a return?

Surely the courts could get access to this information quite easily from the Revenue if he has been putting in a return?

I would have though so too, but it doesn't seem they have :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Imagine if he wasn't putting in a return. He could have been fiddling the books so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Remove. No question about it.
    Why should they get preferential treatment?

Oh & if anyone working in revenue is reading this please put the taxi driving fathers name on the top of the list for an audit.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Imagine if he wasn't putting in a return. He could have been fiddling the books so to speak.

He should also have had to furnish this info to the council in order for them to calculate his rent

Same boy might not find himself so homeless after all if this is the case - sure couldnt they make an example of him and throw him in a wee cell for a while and teach him a lesson or two :D

People are genuinely struggling these days and then a crowd like this come along and take the piss. Why can't they live separately? If this is a ruse to get a bigger house they sure as hell went the wrong way about it.

• Advertisement

He should also have had to furnish this info to the council in order for them to calculate his rent
    I know but there are people who know how to fiddle the books quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

Don't get this at all - they had, imo plenty of income coming in even without the fathers income being disclosed (how was he allowed to refuse to give the figures ?). The rent wasn't huge - I don't get it unless there are high medical bills or something extraordinary going on - which I'm sure would have been mentioned at the hearing.

There's a lot of people really struggling on less income, crippled with massive mortgage repayments that would give their eye teeth to have such a small rent. I feel chancers like these really ruin it for genuine people :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

They should be kicked out onto the streets. They have more than enough income to pay their rent.

I know but there are people who know how to fiddle the books quite well.

Absolutely, but I don't think he disclosed it at all from what I can gather
    There's a lot of people really struggling on less income, crippled with massive mortgage repayments that would give their eye teeth to have such a small rent. I feel chancers like these really ruin it for genuine people :mad:

This is the thing.There are lots of families really struggling but those that reach the media all have substantial incomes or lots of houses:confused: Most genuine families just get on with things as best they can.:(

Absolutely, but I don't think he disclosed it at all from what I can gather

This is the thing.There are lots of families really struggling but those that reach the media all have substantial incomes or lots of houses:confused: Most genuine families just get on with things as best they can.:(
    My partner and I struggle from time to time so this boils my blood. I'd only love to have half that income a week but I don't so I soldier on as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Evict the ****ers. Sh1t like this really annoys me and gives the honest folks in social housing a bad name
    **for the record i don't live in social housing**

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The mother living alone could afford the rent! Turf them out and cut their benefits by 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Evict. They do seem to be taking the p-ss. Some people really seem to have a sense of entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Is it possible they claim they do not owe it?

I have memory years back of a guy in student gigs who paid rent consistently for two years then the landlord turned around all of a sudden and said he had not paid for six months and owed X amount.

It took a year long wait and a court case for it to be proven that he actually had paid all along...

Did thy withold rent because there were repairs due and not done???? Where there other issues??

Not being soft or anything?? But if you take on suing the state you risk having to pay their legal costs remember??

They must feel they have a case ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I calculate that they haven't paid rent for 2.7 years, or 32 months. Am I wrong?

Why can't the taxi driver be held in contempt for not revealing his income to the court?

Does anyone have any guesses as to how much tax he paid on his earnings?

Feck them out with extreme prejudice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

A last minute legal scaqm by this gang of scroungers to avoide eviction.
    Feck them out and feck them out now:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No sympathy here. Give the house to somebody on the huge council list.

I was brought up in that area and council rents are based on your income so no excuse. I knew loads of people who managed to pay their rent even in periods when they were out of work, including my own parents.

Is it possible they claim they do not owe it?

I have memory years back of a guy in student gigs who paid rent consistently for two years then the landlord turned around all of a sudden and said he had not paid for six months and owed X amount.

It took a year long wait and a court case for it to be proven that he actually had paid all along...

Did thy withold rent because there were repairs due and not done???? Where there other issues??

Not being soft or anything?? But if you take on suing the state you risk having to pay their legal costs remember??

They must feel they have a case ??

They seem to be claiming that their rent was miscalculated because 2 of the adult did not live there for 18 months

How can the council calculated their rent if the taxi drivers earnings are undisclosed?

If the 2 adult children were living elsewhere for this 18 months, surely they have a lease/rent book/bank statements to prove this to the council??

Chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dublinboy99

I think I know that taxi driver and he doesn't even live in the house he is claiming to live in !!! Not sure what his scam is but he drives a 12D Skoda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Turf the f*ckers out!

Advertisement