Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now we'll have to fix the roads ourselves

• 08-12-2012 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭

Whatever next?:rolleyes:

From the indo

THE public may be asked to get out their shovels and wallets if they want their local road repaired.

Transport Minister Leo Varadkar says a new scheme will allow people to help share the cost of repairing local roads – or do it themselves – from next year.

Between €5m and €10m will be made available from the Government, with further funding to be sourced from the public.

He added it would allow minor works such as potholes to be repaired which might otherwise not be addressed.

"There are proposals to introduce a new community involvement scheme for regional and local roads on a pilot basis in 2013 involving an exchequer contribution of between €5m and €10m," he said.

"This revised scheme should allow communities and the State to share the cost, or the workload, involved in repairing minor roads which wouldn't otherwise be improved."

Similar schemes are already in place in local authorities.

:pac::pac: FFS, how much worse can this country get? Anyone in Laois/Roscommon like to give and opinion on how it works for them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

This revised scheme should allow communities and the State to share the cost

Well then what the fuck is road tax for?
    We all ready 'share' the bloody cost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭TheFisherKing

Ask NOT what your country can do for you, but if Paddy has any ole cement in his shed he's not using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Boombastic wrote: »
    Whatever next?:rolleyes:

From the indo

THE public may be asked to get out their shovels and wallets if they want their local road repaired.

Transport Minister Leo Varadkar says a new scheme will allow people to help share the cost of repairing local roads – or do it themselves – from next year.

Between €5m and €10m will be made available from the Government, with further funding to be sourced from the public.

He added it would allow minor works such as potholes to be repaired which might otherwise not be addressed.

"There are proposals to introduce a new community involvement scheme for regional and local roads on a pilot basis in 2013 involving an exchequer contribution of between €5m and €10m," he said.

"This revised scheme should allow communities and the State to share the cost, or the workload, involved in repairing minor roads which wouldn't otherwise be improved."

:pac::pac: FFS, how much worse can this country get? Anyone in Laois/Roscommon like to give and opinion on how it works for them?
    FFS....so what's the road/motor tax gonna be spent on if they want the public to mend road at there own expense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Rothmans wrote: »

Its not road tax itd called motor tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I actually love this idea....almost.

I love the idea that individuals can work to improve their local community. I think people *should* do that. I'd absolutely work my ass off to fix the road outside my house or down the street.

I think people are mostly good. And there are hardworking, honest people who'd be happy enough to make some small part of the world a better place. I don't need the government to do it for me.

But it really makes me wonder why the hell I need to pay so much in taxes. In a country without sales tax or property tax, or the endless number of taxes on petrol and vehicle taxes.....I would show up, shovel in hand, to work for my community.

But in Ireland, now, absolutely not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Rothmans wrote: »

We all ready 'share' the bloody cost.

There's no such thing as road tax. You pay motor tax because you have a car.

Ach, I just knew someone would knit-pick over the name. So what, the principle is still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I wonder how the politicians will get themselves elected now? :pac:

Where does all the money from the numerous toll bridges go?

There's no such thing as road tax. You pay motor tax because you have a car.

And you might think that the money made through motor tax might go on fixing some potholes? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

This is quite a turnaround. I remember a few years ago a local haulier wanted to fix up the road outside his yard as he felt responsible for the wear and tear from his vehicles. He contacted the council and was told he couldn't do anything to repair the road as the council would not accept liability for accidents caused by the new surface. How is that not still the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Good man. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

VRT, NCT, Tax on fuel, Vat on fuel, motor tax, tolled roads.....

And in one of Europe's smallest countries, it's still not enough:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sound.

I'm going to build a speed ramp on my road so to slow down young fellahs driving too fast on it at night.

And sure while I'm at it I'm going to start offering heart surgery in my front and begin running a court in my sitting-room.

Sure feck it. I might as well just declare my gaff an independent state.

AnonoLand.

I bags being Minister for Craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Already happens

If the road is too icy for the milk lorry the farmers go out and treat the road with the spreader. Very quick, doesn't take long

You'd be waiting until next year for the council to do anything :rolleyes:

I'd be interesting to hear from a legal eagle though, does a farmer doing a good deed for all the locals make him liable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

UCDVet wrote: »
    I actually love this idea....almost.

I love the idea that individuals can work to improve their local community. I think people *should* do that. I'd absolutely work my ass off to fix the road outside my house or down the street.

I think people are mostly good...
    .....I would show up, shovel in hand, to work for my community.

Could you clean-out my swimming pool for free while you're at it, there's a good man.
    It's the big house on the hill, go in the back way, and don't start mooching around while you're there.

9959 wrote: »
    Could you clean-out my swimming pool for free while you're at it, there's a good man.
    It's the big house on the hill, go in the back way, and don't start mooching around while you're there.

If I regularly swam in your pool, yes I would help you clean it out.

I would directly benefit from having a clean pool to swim in. If I were busy, I might pay someone else to do it for me. In either case, it would be far more efficient than having a complex taxation system that a bunch of rich people decide upon and 'enforce' upon it's citizens, who would establish a bunch of other people whose job it is to prioritize and manage pool cleaning activities who would then divide up their budget to whatever pools they wanted, who wouldn't actually clean the pool, but would hire more workers to clean the pools.

I'd much rather decide where my time and money should be spent.

It's very, very clear that our elected officials are not up to the task. I'd rather do it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Sound.

I'm going to build a speed ramp on my road so to slow down young fellahs driving too fast on it at night.

And sure while I'm at it I'm going to start offering heart surgery in my front and begin running a court in my sitting-room.

AnonoLand.

Don't forget to award yourself a big salary, committee allowances, large unvouched expenses, state car and enormous pension.

I would directly benefit from having a clean pool to swim in. If I were busy, I might pay someone else to do it for me. In either case, it would be far more efficient than having a complex taxation system that a bunch of rich people decide upon and 'enforce' upon it's citizens, who would establish a bunch of other people whose job it is to prioritize and manage pool cleaning activities who would then divide up their budget to whatever pools they wanted, who wouldn't actually clean the pool, but would hire more workers to clean the pools.

It's very, very clear that our elected officials are not up to the task. I'd rather do it myself.

So are you gonna clean the pool or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,286 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So we can get our cars fixed with it then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

So you are using the pool.
    You are paying 9959 for pool maintenance and cleaning.
    Everytime you go it's dirty.

You say to 9959 'Hey this pool is always dirty and I'm paying for it to be kept clean'

9959 Throws you a pair of gloves and tells you 'Go scrub it yourself' and splashes you on the way out by getting his driver to drive through a puddle in his big car, nearly chocking with laughter on the caviar

I would worry about the liability if anyone crashed due to bad repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ha,until someone "skids" on a self repaired road and sues the council.

You say to 9959 'Hey this pool is always dirty and I'm paying for it to be kept clean'

9959 Throws you a pair of gloves and tells you 'Go scrub it yourself' and splashes you on the way out by getting his driver to drive through a puddle in his big car, nearly chocking with laughter on the caviar

Well said, that man!

professore wrote: »
    Don't forget to award yourself a big salary, committee allowances, large unvouched expenses, state car and enormous pension.

Already on top of that. I've also got my own private bathroom. It's basically an ensuite country.

Already on top of that. I've also got my own private bathroom. It's basically an ensuite country.

I'll send my man 'UCDVet' over, he'll give it a good scrubbing gratis.
    However, he does have a tendency to 'bang on', just nod sagely and let him get on with it, I thought NAMA was gravy, but now things are really looking up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Sound.

AnonoLand.

Unfortunately not, I have a plan to build a motorway in your area. I will need you to vacate the premises at 6am on 24 Decmeber. No hard feelings...

Yes - that's why in my first post I said I would have no problem with this; if we weren't *already* paying ridiculously high taxes.

(Ridiculously high for the value we get from them)

Unfortunately not, I have a plan to build a motorway in your area. I will need you to vacate the premises at 6am on 24 Decmeber. No hard feelings...

I know someone who'll build that for you for free, he is by his own admission, 'shovel ready'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Gonna fill my potholes with decapitated heads.

AnonoLand has mixed feelings on this. On the one hand we welcome the introduction of much-needed infrastructure. On the other hand we don't like getting up early.

So respectfully we decline.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

This has been happening for years where the council would tar that bohereen road leading up to three or four rural houses for a contribution from the householders of a few thousand each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

AnonoLand has mixed feelings on this. On the one hand we welcome the introduction of much-needed infrastructure. On the other hand we don't like getting up early.

So respectfully we decline.

Unfortunately I already spoke to Wee Jimmy, who is now the local judge (privatisation) and he has given the go ahead and even offered to come over and lend a hand.

Unfortunately I already spoke to Wee Jimmy, who is now the local judge (privatisation) and he has given the go ahead and even offered to come over and lend a hand.

AnonoLand is now officially looking at daft.ie in a bid to move the country to somewhere less 'roady'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Another **** idea from this goverment,D.I.Y roads and liability has to falls on the pothole filler.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

But if everyone fixes the potholes, who do we vote for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Already happens

If the road is too icy for the milk lorry the farmers go out and treat the road with the spreader. Very quick, doesn't take long

You'd be waiting until next year for the council to do anything :rolleyes:

I'd be interesting to hear from a legal eagle though, does a farmer doing a good deed for all the locals make him liable?

The council aren't liable for damage caused by bad roads,during road works as long as appropiate signs are visable there is no liability for damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

kneemos wrote: »
    The council aren't liable for damage caused by bad roads,during road works as long as appropiate signs are visable there is no liability for damage.

I was thinking about something this morning like this. I was out cycling on a road near my house which has been worked on by the council recently, they have fixed one section of the road but their big trucks and machines have fecked up the other end of the road and they have now left. Since the council caused the damage to the road are they liable for it now if the uneven surface causes an accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,286 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Next Year.

The build your own schools, hospitals and garda stations scheme begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    I was thinking about something this morning like this. I was out cycling on a road near my house which has been worked on by the council recently, they have fixed one section of the road but their big trucks and machines have fecked up the other end of the road and they have now left. Since the council caused the damage to the road are they liable for it now if the uneven surface causes an accident?

You look where your going.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

We, the people, couldnt possibly do any worse than the donkeys that repair potholes right now so thats a plus..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Sure about thirty years ago in Russia students could volunteer to be builders. It's not a bad idea at all for people to get off their arses to help out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mediumrare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Next Year.

The build your own schools, hospitals and garda stations scheme begins.

Rushes to build Garda station using these products...... http://www.ecohomesandgardens.ie/ethical-marketplace/eco-build/hiemp-plaster-monaghan.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it's a great(ish) idea. I'd be quite happy to be paid a wage to work rather than be paid NOT to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

We can have people with first aid training opening clinics in their house, a town can set up a volunteer garda scheme and people with degrees can help teach children. Im sure if we all did these sorts of things the government would reduce the amount of taxes right? That or pay rises all round for all the politicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I'm surprised we got three pages in and no-one has yet said......

"Get the people on social welfare to do it" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

It must be serious bog roads that people pay 25% to fix in Roscommon. I live in the back of beyonds and I never heard, or was asked for, money to fix the road and they're relatively well kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

At this stage we may as well get rid of the government, put all our money in a big pot and do everything ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Let criminal offenders do a job like that, rather than sending them to prison for a few weeks

Advertisement