Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Poverty History

Options
  • 30-06-2005 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

'The line-up of bands for Dublin’s massive Make Poverty History rally was confirmed today.

The Hothouse Flowers, The Devlins, The Walls and Alpha States will entertain campaigners at the march through the capital at the end of the month.

The heavy-weights of rock – Bono, Bob Geldof and REM – have already lent their support by calling on people to attend the rally.

U2 are using their three sell-out nights in Dublin to call upon concert goers to text their support to end poverty by mobile phone.

Oxfam Ireland’s Rebecca Emery, who is one of the co-ordinators of the Irish event, said: “We are so grateful that so many of our top bands are supporting the Make Poverty History campaign by playing for free in Merrion Square.

“The presence of the Hothouse Flowers, The Devlins, The Walls and Alpha States is a great boost for the rally and a tremendous bonus for all those who plan to join us on Thursday evening. There will be a great buzz at this important event, which affords people an opportunity make a statement about world poverty and also enjoy themselves.”

Ms Emery said the U2 texting campaign to support the rally had increased interest in the event.

The rally will begin in Dublin’s Parnell Square at 6.30pm on June 30, before it moves up to Merrion Square, passing through O’Connell Street, D’Olier Street, Nassau Street, Kildare Street and onto St Stephen’s Green.

The bands will perform from around 7.15pm in Merrion Square.

Over 40 organisations, development agencies and trade unions have pledged their support to the Make Poverty History rally.

The rally was organised to give Irish people a chance to join the worldwide movement ’The Global Call to Action Against Poverty’, which is organising protests around the world.

Organisers said the Make Poverty History Irish Campaign would also be demanding better aid from governments throughout 2005 and would be targeting key events like the forthcoming G8 Summit in Edinburgh in July.

Supporters at the rally will also be called upon to place pressure on the Government to make a definite plan to fulfil its promise to give 0.7% of the country’s GNP in Overseas Development Aid'

DUBLIN RALLY TONIGHT THURSDAY 30TH JUNE - STARTING FROM PARNELL SQUARE.

I hope to see you ALL in the streets tonight!!
    Dont forget your white flags and white T-Shirts!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

good stuff.
    I hope the weather holds up... and I hope "other elements" dont use this event as an excuse to cause mayhem.
    It's all about awareness... and making, in this case, the politicians aware that the people want the poverty to end because we can, and should, make it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 penumbra

Does anyone know is there any truth to the rumour that U2 might be playing after the Concern rally 2nite?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Dont think so. A rumor is a rumor.
    They are trying to get as many people to come up to the rally as possible. I'd say that's why the rumor started...
    Well I really dont know!! I wouldnt mind seeing U2 again!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Yeah I'll be at this.

Advertisement