Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New headlight brighter than older one

Options
  • 04-12-2014 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

I replaced the right dipped headlight bulb on my car a few days ago, I did notice when parking up in front on a window that the new bulb appears to be stronger/brighter than the same bulb on the other side. AFAIK its the exact same bulb type.

Would this be down to the fact that one bulb is stronger/brighter than the other or have I not got the new bulb in correctly? It slotted in properly after a bit of fiddling around so I'm hoping its nothing something I did correctly.

Also, is there a way to check the alignment without having to go to a garage/pay money to get it checked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

If it's definitely the same type of bulb it could be that it's fitted slightly incorrectly or loose.

If the beam is not shining exactly where it's supposed to, it can appear to be brighter or dimmer. E.g. It could be shining higher into your eyes and appearing brighter as a result. It's easy to accidentally move the alignment when fitting a bulb.

There are screws to adjust the alignment. The easiest way to check this yourself is shine the lights against the garage wall from a distance of about 10 feet and check them as you adjust them. You will see quickly if one is out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ideally they should be replaced in pairs as the other one is likely on the way out now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Two possibilities here:

1. The other bulb is older and maybe discoloured or duller at this stage.
    2. When replacing the bulb it may not be fitted correctly in the housing or you have knocked the alignment on that headlight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

99% the old bulb is old and blackened. I did something like that a bit ago - bought the new bulb and fitted it. Turn the lights on, walk to the front of the car and it was more or less like the emoticon o_O

Back in Halfords, second H7 and it was back to O_O :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭b318isp

Ideally they should be replaced in pairs as the other one is likely on the way out now too.

Not really, bulb failures tend to follow a bathtub curve. I've never had pairs of bulbs fail in close succession.

• Advertisement
Advertisement