Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a bike/Cycle in San Francisco

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:30am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Heading there next week.

Any good places to rent a bike/cycle?

I'll be based up near the University of San Francisco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

I was over in the south bay this time last year and used a crowd called Undiscovered country tours (udctours.com) to rent a road bike. Think it worked out at around $100 for the weekend. They dropped the bike to my hotel on the Friday and picked it up on Monday morning. You give them bike fit measurements, pedal type, gps mount type etc. All the bikes were pretty high end. They are based in Los Altos so it suited me as I was in Santa Clara but I'm pretty sure they cover San Franscisco. There's some great cycling country both north and south of San Francisco. I did an 80k loop with some mates across the Golden Gate and over into the hills in Marin County, there's a fantastic mix of hills, views and something we don't have here - smooth long descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Wow, I'd love to get a chance to do some cycling over there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fat bloke wrote: »
    Wow, I'd love to get a chance to do some cycling over there.

Its a work trip and to be honest I could do without it (enough things going on at home!) but sure while I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

godtabh wrote: »
    Its a work trip and to be honest I could do without it (enough things going on at home!) but sure while I'm there!

Ah no you're dead right. I used to do a bit of travelling stateside and I always did my best to grab a bike somewhere. Rent beg/steal/borrow. Amazing who you can meet who's also into bikes and how accomodating people will be. They love when you show an interest in their area and activity.

I tended towards the less glamourous middle America states however. Would love to do San Fran :). Avoiding the temptation of a Hertz V8 instead is the biggest obstacle :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Don't have a clue now where I rented the bike but make sure you cycle over the Golden Gate Bridge.

After that I went north across the bay as far as I could and traveled back to the first town you could returned on a ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

monument wrote: »
    Don't have a clue now where I rented the bike but make sure you cycle over the Golden Gate Bridge.

After that I went north across the bay as far as I could and traveled back to the first town you could returned on a ferry.

Dont suppose you have that route on strava?

The plan is to head north over the bridge for 75km or so and head back.

Here's the one I did this time last year. Starting in the Presidio and heading over the bridge and then looping through Marin county and back via the Seven Sisters. (app.strava.com/activities/90133449)

If I remember correctly, the only tricky bit was getting across a couple of lanes of traffic at the far end of the Golden Gate to get down to Sausalito. The other thing was it started out cool (16C) but ended up hot (27C). When I was crossing the Golden Gate first it was shrouded in fog and only the tops of the towers popped out above the cloud - really added to the experience. The left hand side of the bridge heading north is the only walkway you can use on a bike. It's wide but pretty busy, especially as you go around the towers.

Dont suppose you have that route on strava?

The plan is to head north over the bridge for 75km or so and head back.

No, done it long before I had any GPS recorder.

lissard wrote: »
    Here's the one I did this time last year. Starting in the Presidio and heading over the bridge and then looping through Marin county and back via the Seven Sisters. (app.strava.com/activities/90133449)

If I remember correctly, the only tricky bit was getting across a couple of lanes of traffic at the far end of the Golden Gate to get down to Sausalito. The other thing was it started out cool (16C) but ended up hot (27C). When I was crossing the Golden Gate first it was shrouded in fog and only the tops of the towers popped out above the cloud - really added to the experience. The left hand side of the bridge heading south is the only walkway you can use on a bike. It's wide but pretty busy, especially as you go around the towers.

The bridge authority's site says cycling is allowed on the sidewalks of both sides: http://goldengatebridge.org/bikesbridge/bikes.php

The city side is far more impressive, on a clear day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I posted this up before
    I am in and out of San Fran every month. and when here over a weekend I have rented a road bike from udcbikerental.com, great service, I have got a Scott Addict full carbon with Ultegra gearing for $100 for the weekend (delivered Friday collected Monday to downtown based hotel FOC).

This time I brought my own bike as I am here for a bit longer, Some great cycling in North San Fran once over the golden gate (windiest place on earth) you move into a different climate. There is Mount Tamalpais which is a nice 100k loop from downtown with a big hill in the middle, some lovely switchbacks, there is also Paradise loop which is an easier loop around Tibroun peninsula again around 100k, lots of other shorter/longer options as well

I have also hooked up with the Rapha Cycling club who have rides every Thursday evening (hope to go tomorrow) and Saturday mornings, they usually got North but the one Saturday I joined them it was a 50k ride of hellish lumps in San Fran, some hitting 28% gradient.

There are alos lots of places who do hybrid rental and are grand for a loop around Golden Gate park, over the bridge and into Sausalito for lunch and take a ferry back downtown.

HTH

cycling the Golden gate bridge for the 1st time was great but it quickly becomes a mile of hell. At the weekend there are hundreds of people who have rented bikes but never cycled before. The bridge is narrow the wind is strong and 2 way for cyclists (everyone getting each others way and they suddenly stop for the great photo opportunities). - need to get past Sausalito to loose the casual cyclists. if going for a short cycle into Sausalito and back avoid eating/drinking there, there is a nice quite place around 2km towards San Fran that is nice (bit more expensive but worth it) Cavallo Point great views back to the bridge.

HTH

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly, the only tricky bit was getting across a couple of lanes of traffic at the far end of the Golden Gate to get down to Sausalito. The other thing was it started out cool (16C) but ended up hot (27C). When I was crossing the Golden Gate first it was shrouded in fog and only the tops of the towers popped out above the cloud - really added to the experience. The left hand side of the bridge heading south is the only walkway you can use on a bike. It's wide but pretty busy, especially as you go around the towers.

Once over the bridge there is a road directly to the left that will bring you under the bridge and up in to Sausolito. Or when you come off the bridge there is a kind of car park area head through this and up the hill a bit turn left up to Hawk Hill - worth it foe the views back to San Fran over the Bridge, then keep going to the top and there is a lovely downhill (one way) to a lighthouse and then you can cycle along bunker road towards Sausolito. If you go right after the "kind of carpark" it will bring you into Sausolito.

At the weekend only one side of the bridge (left going South/right going North) is open to cyclists at the weekend.

HTH

The other thing to bear in mind is Sausalito is full of tourists and pedestrians - maybe not so much early in the morning but definitely later in the day. My mates told me the police are very strict with any cyclist that doesn't stop at zebra crossings. Those cops would have a field day with all the RLJs around this part of the world!

I have that route marked out on my strava route planner! Plan to do something similar with maybe another 60/70km

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I was there in February this year and was staying in Larkspur for the weekend so I used this shop to rent a roadbike... http://citycycle.com/.

I brought my own pedals and shoes and emailed them my bike fit record. The positive was that the bike mechanic went to great lengths to set up the bike and it felt as if I was on my own bike. The not so positive was that the guy who took my order forgot it and there was no bike (I ordered a Trek Madone) for me... but he set me up on a Seven Elium - titanium/carbon build which was a great bike for the day. I also thought they were a little on the expensive side, IIRC it was about $80 for the day. I had a great time though, did about 120km up to Point Reyes station through Redwood reserves and looped around Nicasio reservoir, etc. Its a really lovely part of the world and got chatting to quite a few people out enjoying the day - in February it was like a good early day in May here - perfect.

Just been in touch with the hotel. They have a couple of bikes for complimentary use. They describe them as cruisers but given that no usually uses them I'll be out doing a few spins having a look around and then one big on before I head back

If you do any amount of cycling at home, don't use the hotel bikes unless it is for a spin around the city (make sure you include cycling down lombard st). the bike will at best be a heavy hybrid that will sap your energy if you are heading out for a decent cycle. The best $100 I spent was the weekend rental of a Scot Addict- Full carbon with Ultegra gearing from udcbikerental.com. brought my own pedals. Weather now is nice especially when you get over the bridge (the difference is unreal). If going up over Mt Tamalpias make sure you bring plenty of water and carry some food/energy bars as once you leave Fairfax there is nothing but quiet deserted roads until you come back down towards Sausolito. I am back again in early November for a few weeks and looking forward to summer like spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kodos

I hired a road bike from BayCityBike.com while on a business trip about a year ago. They have a couple of shops in Fisherman's Wharf and one in Haight Street near the university. They had Giant Defy/TCR bikes, and they hire helmets and will fit SPD/Keo pedals for you, so just bring your clothes and shoes. I booked in advance and the bike was set up with pedals when I arrived, so I was happy with the service.

I just had one day to cycle, and I didn't want to go as far as Mount Tamalpais, so I crossed the Golden Gate bridge and did some loops of Conzelman Road and Bunker Road. The bridge was busy with cyclists and pedestrians, and very stop-start at the towers, but it is worth crossing for Hawk Hill and especially for the fast descent towards Point Bonita. I took it easy on the first ascent and got some great photos looking back at the city from Hawk Hill, then I did the descent and just had to loop back around Bunker Road for another go! The road surface is great, the car traffic is light (mainly slow tourists) and the descent towards Point Bonita is a one-way road (there is a speed limit, but if you are doing it right then the signs are just an illegible blur!). There are lots of cyclists around, Hawk Hill has nearly 100000 attempts by over 12000 cyclists on Strava, and there are some good video clips on YouTube.

If you do any amount of cycling at home, don't use the hotel bikes unless it is for a spin around the city (make sure you include cycling down lombard st). the bike will at best be a heavy hybrid that will sap your energy if you are heading out for a decent cycle. The best $100 I spent was the weekend rental of a Scot Addict- Full carbon with Ultegra gearing from udcbikerental.com. brought my own pedals. Weather now is nice especially when you get over the bridge (the difference is unreal). If going up over Mt Tamalpias make sure you bring plenty of water and carry some food/energy bars as once you leave Fairfax there is nothing but quiet deserted roads until you come back down towards Sausolito. I am back again in early November for a few weeks and looking forward to summer like spins.

the hotel bike would be used to keep the legs spinning

the hotel bike would be used to keep the legs spinning

It's one of the world's hilliest cities so those legs will be well spun :-). Reckon even the small hills are 10%. Some of the roads near the centre are 20% gradients!

It's one of the world's hilliest cities so those legs will be well spun :-). Reckon even the small hills are 10%. Some of the roads near the centre are 20% gradients!

10% in San Fran is flat, some short sharp hills of 28% up around Potero Hill :-) a niceish city route that avoids most hill is along the wharf through Chrissy fields, pass in front of the Golden gate bridge and go up through Presidio (again great views over the bridge). Then head down the Legion of Honours and to the coast, at the windmill take a left into Golden Gate Park along JFK Drive and onto the Pan Handle, head for market street and back onto the Wharf. - Just shy of 30k.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The cycle to golden gate and into Sausalito is pretty easy, I didn't go beyond that on a bike but did in a car. Really nice cycling though

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

I hope mods don't mind me picking up this aged thread. I figured it would be okay to use it, rather than starting a new one on a timeless topic. I'm travelling to SF with work later this month, and I've found the discussion here very useful. Thanks for the tips on bike rental.

I only see one mention of a 90km loop from Golden Gate park, through Sousilito, through Berkley, and back via the Bay Bridge. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/495830548/

Any further opinions on whether this is a realistic bike route, and whether it's safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

krinpit wrote: »
    I only see one mention of a 90km loop from Golden Gate park, through Sousilito, through Berkley, and back via the Bay Bridge. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/495830548/

Only the east half of the Bay Bridge is open to bicycles. It might be possible to get a ferry from Treasure Island (the middle of the bridge) to San Francisco. Alternatively, you can bring your bike on BART (underground) from Oakland to San Francisco.

I went over the bridge along the coast road.Muir woods.

Got lost a few times

https://www.strava.com/activities/328787883
    https://www.strava.com/activities/217986802
    https://www.strava.com/activities/213974263

I kept away from the main roads outside of San Francisco. Not sure how pleasant it would be heading to Berkley.

One thing to note if you do go outside on the major urban area is supplies and know where you are. I got lost with no food and no mobile coverage. Was almost shot when I got home as I was late for my brother in laws wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

Heading there next week.

Any good places to rent a bike/cycle?

I'll be based up near the University of San Francisco

There are several kiosks near the waterfront that rent bikes. The companies do have websites and bikes on their pages.

I would also recommend checking out Spinlister.Com

bill

n1ey wrote: »
    There are several kiosks near the waterfront that rent bikes. The companies do have websites and bikes on their pages.

I would also recommend checking out Spinlister.Com

bill

Been and gone (twice) since that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

Depends how into your cycling you are but if you join Rapha Cycling Club (around 150 euro) you can rent top of the range Canyon Aeroad or Endurance bikes from them for 25$ a day.

You'd also get free unlimited coffee in their shop as well.

I worked with Blazing Saddles in New York on a J1, I know they have their original shop in San Fran, they could be worth looking at but i'd imagine they're not the cheapest.

HowItsMade wrote: »
    Depends how into your cycling you are but if you join Rapha Cycling Club (around 150 euro) you can rent top of the range Canyon Aeroad or Endurance bikes from them for 25$ a day.

You'd also get free unlimited coffee in their shop as well.

I worked with Blazing Saddles in New York on a J1, I know they have their original shop in San Fran, they could be worth looking at but i'd imagine they're not the cheapest.

I rented a Specialized Roubaix off them. Full Ultegra I think. Decent bike. Think it as €$50.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

This is great info , I’m heading over there in late May with Mrs Trotter .
    Cycled there many years ago with her and I do remember us getting told off by a lookalike ‘Chips’cop on a motor bike for cycling the wrong side back over the bridge .
    He stood there with his hand out and needless to say the Mrs breaked too hard and nearly went over the bars . She spent the rest of the day giving out about him ! .. think I’ll cycle on my own this time ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Thanks folks. I've decided upon this route, and booked with City Ride after a personal recommendation:

https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/2912891/#/z13/37.8316835,-122.4716377/google_hybrid
    Wiggle up to Golden Gate Park, north through the Presidio to the Golden Gate Bridge, over the bridge to Sausalito, then on to Tiburon. Return by ferry.

Advertisement