Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling beginner needs help

• 19-10-2014 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I am new to cycling and am just riding for about 3 weeks. I bought an old mtb with 26 x 1.5 inch slick tyres. I am currently doing a 20 mile round trip around my local roads that is up and down with two pretty steep hills each about 1 mile long and can do it comfortably enough now but in the beginning found it tough enough. It takes me roughly 1.5 hrs now though in the beginning it took me 2 hrs plus. I do it 3 times a week. I am considering buying a new bike now and going a little further and doing some local fun rides. Mostly my cycling is on tarred roads with chips and tar as the surface and rough enough in places and was just wondering if anyone could recommend the best type of bike for me to get hybrid or road? I still find the 2 hills tough and when would have to take this in to consideration. My current bike is a raleigh and cost me just 90 euros. I am 52 years old and not looking to win any races but not wanting to be at the back of the pack at 50 plus k rides. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

if your managing hilly 20k route in a heavy old MTB then you'd fky it on a road bike.

If you intend on doing a bit of off road cycling too then maybe s cyclocross bike would suit you best and would suit rougher road surfaces too. Generally they don't have as an aggressive geometry as racer/road bikes and so you wouldnt find the transition from MTB to road style bike too difficult.

If you don't intend on doing any off road cycling then get a road bike and fit 25 tyres on it for a bit extra comfort. Go for a bike with a more relaxed geomtry like a trek domane or Felt Z series.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,614 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Cycling Adverts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Ok thanks. A friend lent his road bike today. A claud butler something or other and indeed I managed my run as usual and in 1hr 20 mins my fastest time yet so I m off to shop next week. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭t5pwr

Here's a article I came across today while browsing around. Might help you maybe on a few things starting out http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/sportives/sportive-news/31-things-always-wanted-know-cycling-afraid-ask-138592

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Yeah I just read it and it makes sense thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement