Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't understand pedals!

• 16-10-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

So the first bike arrived a few days ago, only getting round to pedals and shoes now.

Really failing to understand the difference in pedal types and shoes etc.

Might be easier if I explained what I was looking for..

The bike is a canyon roadlite al 7.0

I'm a total beginner so I'd prefer a system that doesn't have me locked tight to the pedal.. I've also had operations on both knees with meniscus tears so a decent degree of float (?) would probably be best?

If possible I think I'd prefer a system that would allow some degree of walking when I'm off the bike, but it's not essential..

Price wise I'd like to keep it at €100ish each for pedals and shoes..

someone on here recommended shimano 105's...are all shimano pedals spd?

what are shimano road shoes like? They seem to have a few in that price range...

a friend recommended Bontrager for shoes also?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrager-rxl-road-shoe-black-id79853.html

Would it be a better idea to actually try the shoes on in the LBS? I'd buy there if they were suitable..

Edit: actually I'm just going to go down to the LBS!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

These might be good for you - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759

They're SPD - which are often called the mountainbike type cleats. You can use them on a road-bike too just fine, I do.

They have some float. They describe it as 4 degrees which is plenty for me. There are some cleats with even more - I think speedplay can IIRC.

The shoes that go with them are easy to walk in as (almost) all of them have the cleat recessed into the shoe so you can walk normally in them.

You can adjust the cleat retention tension - ie how hard you have to force things to clip out - but almost any decent clipless pedal will allow that. SPD or otherwise.
    You can even buy (for about 11 euro) the SPD multi-release cleats which clip out if you tug them hard enough in almost any direction except straight up. They're for the same pedal they're just a slightly different shape cleat. I don't like them as much as you can unclip if pushing hard and hitting something and I'd suggest that it won't be as bad as you may worry being attached to your pedals.

I'd say you'll be fine with almost any clipless system and that the main consideration is your injured knees. So make sure that you get one that doesn't take a lot of force to unclip. I know they vary but can't remember which are harder to unclip as being an uninjured male they're all in my comfortable range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is. :)

For what it's worth. Lots of old guys in the States have told me they use speedplay pedals cos they're easy on knees. Can clip in either side too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

fat bloke wrote: »
    . Can clip in either side too.

In case you want to cycle backwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You can also get the spd pedals that have a flat side that doesn't clip in so you can get used to them gradually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭oinkely

from what you ahve described i would go for these pedals:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759

and any SPD compatible shoes -

then set the spring on the pedals to the loosest setting and off you go. Be sure to spend a good while sitting on the bike beside a wall or some other support and clip in, clip out, clip in, clip out..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maesrichard1

Dont get SPD's. These are too flexible for the road bike, hence why there use for mountain biking to allow you to run up hills etc. Granted they do have the advantage of being able to walk around in but the surface area where the cleat is minimal in comparison to road cleats. In my opinion id advise you to go for look keo pedals and look keo cleats "red" which allow for 9degrees of movement once clipped in. You say you have bad knees so ask someone with more experience to set up your cleats as they will have a better idea of positioning. The ball of your foot should be where you feel the most pressure when riding. Once fitted, do no more than 30mins cycling and see if your knees are sore. If you pedantic like me, its take alot of trail and error to get the cleats spot on.

Dont get SPD's. These are too flexible for the road bike, hence why there use for mountain biking to allow you to run up hills etc. Granted they do have the advantage of being able to walk around in but the surface area where the cleat is minimal in comparison to road cleats.

I've heard that argument but I don't really buy it - not at the leisure cyclist level of things anyway. I've done 200km cycles with SPD pedals and had no bother from them. Probably there is a tiny performance penalty but it doesn't matter to me and it's nice to be able to walk easily at the coffee stop ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭custom_build

I would highly recommend trying on shoes in your lbs, I was two sizes bigger in shimano and one size bigger in specialized. I'm a size 10 and was 46 in shimano so try before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

quozl wrote: »
    I've heard that argument but I don't really buy it - not at the leisure cyclist level of things anyway. I've done 200km cycles with SPD pedals and had no bother from them. Probably there is a tiny performance penalty but it doesn't matter to me and it's nice to be able to walk easily at the coffee stop ;)

What shoes are you using? The cheapo SPD shoes I have flex too much meaning I'm shifting my weight frequently. Can you recommend a firm-soled SPD compatible shoe?

Was intending to move to SPD-SL for harder sole but like the convenience of SPD<heresy>...for running through transition in triathlons...shhh!</heresy>

• Advertisement

I've got these ones http://www.flr-shoes.com/NEW/product_new.php?id=24 . I chose them over Shimano as they fit better :)

The sole seems fairly hard to me - I don't feel the cleat through it at all. Is that the problem you're having?

As I've never had that trouble I can't say if these would fix it for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As a relative newbie to cleats I recommend the keo look. I'm using the grey one and its perfect for me. Very easy to get in and out

quozl wrote: »

Im only speaking from 15+ years of experience. I use both types of shoes because i race in both disciplines. If you wore road shoes you would understand, but i agree, way better for coffee stops :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Im only speaking from 15+ years of experience. I use both types of shoes because i race in both disciplines. If you wore road shoes you would understand, but i agree, way better for coffee stops :):):)
    I use both and, although I don't race, I don't find any great difference between them. The SPD SL's would be slightly better when climbing steep gradients. Like quozi, I've done several 200+ rides in SPD's without any problems. I generally use them on the fixie and the commuting hacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm quite happy with SPD pedals/shoes on my road bike. Enough float for me, which is useful because I've had loads of running injuries, and very easy to clip and unclip - which is important when cycling in London traffic. Haven't noticed any of the usual complaints about it... and a cleat that is somewhat recessed makes the run to the mount line in transition a bit more comfortable

I use both and, although I don't race, I don't find any great difference between them. The SPD SL's would be slightly better when climbing steep gradients. Like quozi, I've done several 200+ rides in SPD's without any problems. I generally use them on the fixie and the commuting hacker.

Its perfect for what you use them for + has the practicality its a no brainer but the benefits of road shoes over SPD's are overwhelming. If you wore carbon sole road shoes you would soon realise the difference. If your riding a fixie I assume you are about town alot, hence, stick witht he SPD's if your walking about on them. Walking in road shoes is s**t.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

On a side note: is it ok to use spd- sl shoes with look pedals? I mean assuming that the cleat is look?

slap/dash wrote: »
    On a side note: is it ok to use spd- sl shoes with look pedals? I mean assuming that the cleat is look?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Yes.

Cool. 'Looks' like the keo easy are now adjustible

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If you've had knee problems, you want speed play zeros.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

hey,

thank you all for your input! lots of different perspectives...

The knees have to be protected first and foremost I guess. Will look further into speedplays, although the price of them seem a bit out of range for me.

Going to call into the LBS and get make a decision.

As an aside - who are the best bike shops in dublin city? I'm living in town so I can pop into a couple..

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    ..As an aside - who are the best bike shops in dublin city? I'm living in town so I can pop into a couple..
    I find Cycleways on Parnell St (opposite Ilac Centre) are always helpful and knowledgeable.

Other options are CycleBike on Mary's Abbey (off Capel St beside Luas tracks)'
    There's a couple in the Aungier Street area - and another on South William Street where Eurocycles used to be - can't recall the name now (2 Wheels?? or something like that).

The out of town shops tend to be bigger with more stock - Cycle Superstore, Wheelworx etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Brian? wrote: »
    If you've had knee problems, you want speed play zeros.

just picked these up on swim cycle run for €114

seem like the best option for the old knees!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    just picked these up on swim cycle run for €114

seem like the best option for the old knees!

I've found them great on my very dodgy knees.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Advertisement