Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

OK I spoke to Tony Kealys, the woman I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable and helpful.

It is to do with the car rather than to do with the make of the carseat. In different cars, the backseat may be slightly tilted (or not.) If the backseat is already tilted, they may advise the parents when fitting the seat to use belts rather than base for the first few weeks, to ensure that it's fitted the way it should be in line with manufacturer instructions.

As regards whether it's better to have the seat more upright or flat in the first few weeks? She said, it's better for their necks if they are mostly kept lying as flat as possible in the early weeks, but she really stressed that in the case of a collision, it is absolutely best for the seat to be as upright as possible, to cushion the baby's back and head and neck as it's intended to do, rather than (in a flatter position) to have the head fly upwards/backwards depending on the angle/velocity of the crash, with nothing to support and cushion it. It makes sense. (Obviously this is talking about rear-facing infant seats.)

She said it's six of one and half a dozen of the other - have the baby as flat as possible (more possible with belt) while their neck is still weak. Or else have the baby upright at an appropriate angle (using the base), to best protect them in the case of a collision.

So what I got from it is, if I had a baby pretty much constantly in the car in the early weeks, maybe I'd consider using a seatbelt rather than base, and angling them slightly lower to avoid neck damage. But if, in the early weeks, they'd only be in the car occasionally and for short periods, I'd definitely be using the base to protect them as much as possible by having them at the correct angle to cushion them in the case of a collision.

Well 30 of us didn't have the same car at the class in cumh ante natal class

Will you be really going on longer journeys at the first few weeks, we were lucky to get to the shops for food lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Once you and the new arrival are happy and safe that's the main thing
    You will be flooded with advice shortly
    The amount of people telling us we should be giving our fella solids now at 5 months is crazy
    Even though guidelines say breast fed babies need to wait till 6 months
    I nearly threw someone out of the house the other day she said solids from 12 weeks did her children no harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We used an isofix base with a maxi cosi seat from birth with our first baby but I do remember having to hold his head up at times. Put the new baby into the car for the first time during the week and because there is now no room for an adult to sit in the back, I got in the front. When we arrived in town I was horrified to find her head slumped forward onto her chest due to the tilt of the base :( Thankfully it had only been a short journey but I won't be using the base again until her head control is better. Btw we have a mondeo and the back seat is slightly tilted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

mrspostman were you using the newborn insert in the MaxiCosi?

Yup I have the insert, didn't seem make any difference. We're strapping the seat in manually now and have had no problems since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We used an isofix base with a maxi cosi seat from birth with our first baby but I do remember having to hold his head up at times. Put the new baby into the car for the first time during the week and because there is now no room for an adult to sit in the back, I got in the front. When we arrived in town I was horrified to find her head slumped forward onto her chest due to the tilt of the base :( Thankfully it had only been a short journey but I won't be using the base again until her head control is better. Btw we have a mondeo and the back seat is slightly tilted.

I have to say this happened to us loads aswell! The amount of times I caught both my Los in the early days with their heads slumped forward or to the side when they were asleep! Luckily we usually saw it straight away tho as we have one of those mirror thingies. I never attributed it to the isofox base tho! So it's actually really good to know. I just always thought the isofix bases were safer as there's no worries about having the seat strapped in incorrectly etc. I'll know water for next time :)

We just assumed that it was one of those things too Sligo! And it was never really a big deal because I was always in the back of the car with our little boy. I got such a fright when I saw the new baby though that I decided to do a thorough investigation so I made my OH dismantle the whole lot in the TK MAXX carpark :pac: To look at the base, you can see how it's curved at an incline. It probably wouldn't make much difference if the back seat is level but like I said, ours is slanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

We used an isofix base with our silver cross car seat from day one - Never had any problems with baby in it - Suppose it depends on car seat as well ?? I am going to use it for this baby too ( we used it in two different cars as well )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Hey I'm here looking for advice again :) was looking at buying a travel system for when baby is born, really like the beep twist baby elegance buggy but just wondering if any of you who have it know can you get the adapters for a maxi cosi car seat to fit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hey I'm here looking for advice again :) was looking at buying a travel system for when baby is born, really like the beep twist baby elegance buggy but just wondering if any of you who have it know can you get the adapters for a maxi cosi car seat to fit

https://www.traleenurserysupplies.com/product-view.php?id=551&c_id=&sc_id=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Limited number of free tickets can be got here

http://www.mummypages.ie/the-sma-know-how-pregnancy-baby-fair

11/12th April RDS Dublin
    18th/19th April City hall Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

http://m.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/im-not-taking-heroin-im-having-one-drink-pregnant-maia-dunphy-hits-out-at-scaremongering-31103136.html

Just wondering what everyone on here thinks of this... Would love a glass myself now I'm in second trimester but just so nervous about it at the same time ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

If you're that nervous that you won't enjoy it, why bother?

I had a single West Coast Cooler at around seven months pregnant while away for the weekend and out for dinner with my partner. It was lovely! :)

I work in Dublin City centre and I'm pretty sure the pollution I breathe in on a daily basis had more potential to do harm than that one single drink did. And my baby is fine. :)

je551e wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/im-not-taking-heroin-im-having-one-drink-pregnant-maia-dunphy-hits-out-at-scaremongering-31103136.html

Just wondering what everyone on here thinks of this... Would love a glass myself now I'm in second trimester but just so nervous about it at the same time ..

It's a personal decision - I've chosen not to have a drink and won't, but it's up to you. I wouldn't base my decision on what a celebrity's opinion of it is though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'd love a west coast cooler most days! I just wouldn't enjoy it though, so I won't be having any alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

True all , it's pointless having it if I feel so bad.... It's definitely a personal decision...only 9 months after all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I haven't had much of a craving for a drink, but what I have done is when we're out for dinner I take a sip from husbands glass of wine. Just a taste, and that's fine, I don't need any more. What I really am missing is blue cheese and shellfish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

You can eat shellfish once it's cooked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You can eat shellfish once it's cooked well.

I've cooked a few prawn dishes alright, but it's moreso when I'm out and want to order it. It certainly limits my menu selections when we're eating out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can also have the hard blue cheeses. Like stilton. It's only soft blue is to be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Does anyone happen to know what the schedule of appointments is on your second pregnancy? When I was pregnant last time it began to feel as though I had taken up residence in the Coombe from week 12! I know there are fewer appointments on the second but I'm still not sure what they are.
    For what it's worth I'm going full private and also doing shared care with my GP. I think it will be easier to go locally for some of the appojntments with an 8 month old rather than bringing her to the Coombe or having to organise babysitters.

If you're going private you will more than likely be seen more regularly. I know my consultant saw me every four weeks until 32 weeks then fortnightly until 36 weeks then weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 gemmaS6988

I'm 18 weeks into my pregnancy constantly tired just doing the chores around the house and I'm shattered my doctor says I'm not exercising enough and I should be doing a 40 min walk and I should be fresh after it, I have tried walking a mile my legs and feet would be killing me as if I have been on my feet for 8 hours or walked a mountain and the same with the chore, does anyone else feel like this,

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

je551e wrote: »

If it makes you too nervous then it wouldn't be worth it I suppose. If you're not going to enjoy it.

I think if you want a glass of wine or a small beer, glass of Guinness etc. then you should be able to have it without feeling terrible. I feel like I'm being watched and judged so much sometimes that I don't even feel comfortable with a non alcoholic Erdinger when I'm out. My own Dad raised his eyebrows at me when I had a glass of it the other day, I was like eh yeah thanks Dad, I'm sitting here lashing into a few pints of beer 39 weeks pregnant.

I've had a glass of wine when I really wanted it with dinner though. The person's suggestion above of a sip is actually a good one, sometimes you just want a taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Does anyone happen to know what the schedule of appointments is on your second pregnancy? When I was pregnant last time it began to feel as though I had taken up residence in the Coombe from week 12! I know there are fewer appointments on the second but I'm still not sure what they are.
    For what it's worth I'm going full private and also doing shared care with my GP. I think it will be easier to go locally for some of the appojntments with an 8 month old rather than bringing her to the Coombe or having to organise babysitters.

With private the consultant decides the schedule based on how the pregnancy proceeds. I had weekly apts due to comiications for a huge part of it, I know some of the Coombe consultants take a discount if you do some gp care via combined care system

gemmaS6988 wrote: »
    I'm 18 weeks into my pregnancy constantly tired just doing the chores around the house and I'm shattered my doctor says I'm not exercising enough and I should be doing a 40 min walk and I should be fresh after it, I have tried walking a mile my legs and feet would be killing me as if I have been on my feet for 8 hours or walked a mountain and the same with the chore, does anyone else feel like this,

I felt like that Gemma. Didn't get over my first trimester tiredness till half way through second. I was so tired it was upsetting. I found it hard to motivate myself to exercise in the evening. Can you walk to work maybe? In the morning? That's what I did. Just to keep moving because I was too tired to go back out in the evening. I started taking Floradix too. By 20-22 weeks I felt much better. I hope you do too.

I haven't had much of a craving for a drink, but what I have done is when we're out for dinner I take a sip from husbands glass of wine. Just a taste, and that's fine, I don't need any more. What I really am missing is blue cheese and shellfish!

I miss blue cheese more than alcohol too! I'd never have guessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I miss blue cheese more than alcohol too! I'd never have guessed!

Prawns, rare steak and goats cheese were harder for me to live without than alcohol.
    When I was pregnant the last time I had about 3 glasses of wine during my pregnancy. The pregnancy was progressing fine and each time I had one it was something I really really craved at the time.
    Sometimes I wanted a second but limited it to just the one and enjoyed it. I didn't and don't feel one bit guilty about that either. If I was having alcohol frequently, was smoking or eating badly or anything like that then yes,it would be bad but 3 glass in 37 weeks was ok.

Prawns, rare steak and goats cheese were harder for me to live without than alcohol.
    When I was pregnant the last time I had about 3 glasses of wine during my pregnancy. The pregnancy was progressing fine and each time I had one it was something I really really craved at the time.
    Sometimes I wanted a second but limited it to just the one and enjoyed it. I didn't and don't feel one bit guilty about that either. If I was having alcohol frequently, was smoking or eating badly or anything like that then yes,it would be bad but 3 glass in 37 weeks was ok.

As far as I am aware you can eat pasteurised goats cheese. The kind without a rind, like the ones that come in a roll.... I also read you can eat unpasteurised cheese once it's baked but I didn't bother. I ate the goats cheese though. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had a beer craving in pregnancy, so would have a bottle of becks or holsten every couple of evenings. Apparently it was a vitamin B deficiency.

I missed soft cooked eggs - hate when the yolk is hard. My first post-partum meal when I landed home from hospital was a delicious fried egg sandwich. And the OH had put together a hamper of all that was forbidden to me for 9 months as a welcome home present. :)

Advertisement