Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Strange Qashqai Problem

Options
  • 04-12-2014 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I hope this is the right place to post this. I have an 08 Qashqai and I have been experiencing a strange intermittent problem. I've noticed that ocassionally when I get up over 80km/h the car starts to shake in what seems like the front end. Ity has happened about three times that I've noticed and it is mainly when I've been accelerating on to the motorway. It happened last weekend heading out of dublin as I was going over the new flyover. Traffic was very heavy so I didn't get up to 80 until after the M9. When I got up over 80 after that, the car was fine and I haven't noticed it since.
    Anyone have any ideas what it might be?
    Thanks!
    Art

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sounds like the tracking is out, if you bring the car to a tyre fitters they should be able to check the allignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If there is a vibration through the steering wheel then most likely it is the wheel balancing that is off. Any tyre centre will rebalance the wheels for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

A vibration at motorway speed is balancing.
    A car pulling to the left or right is tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Sounds like the tracking is out, if you bring the car to a tyre fitters they should be able to check the allignment.

If it was the alignment, Would that be intermittent or constant?

One other thing I forgot is that when it does this, there is a lot of play in the steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

One other thing I forgot is that when it does this, there is a lot of play in the steering.

Neither balancing or alignment would be intermittent.
    When this happens you have a lot of play in the steering.
    Would not drive the car until you find out what is wrong. It sounds like you may have a loose track rod end if you get vibration and loss of steering input.
    Nothing else will really cause both of them.

If that is the case do not drive the car until fixed, you could really get hurt art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it was the alignment, Would that be intermittent or constant?

Usually would only occur at certain high speeds around 100-120kp/h and be constant for all speeds above this, would otherwise not be noticeable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

A lot of play in the steering can Indicate worn track rod ends or wishbone bushes as well as a couple of other things. By the sounds of it I would suggest you go to a garage and explain your concerns, they should do an inspection of the suspension and let toy know what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Thanks folks. I'll drop the car in tomorrow. I just wanted to have a rough idea what it could be when talking to the mechanics.

Advertisement