Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing an IRL car into UK

• 04-12-2014 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Hi my bro is currently working greater than 6 months in the UK and brought over his 01 1.9tdi Peugeot. I advised him to register it over there because of obvious cheaper tax. He has no plans to change his car so I was wondering has anyone gone through the process and what is involved. Looked up dvla website but found it confusing. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Why would he have to pay Irish Motor tax if the car is in the UK?

I think he'll find there's an obligation to re-register it in the UK by virtue of it being there for such an extended time. He may also have insurance difficulties with a foreign registered car for so long as Irish Insurance may not cover him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I think he'll find there's an obligation to re-register it in the UK by virtue of it being there for such an extended time. He may also have insurance difficulties with a foreign registered car for so long as Irish Insurance may not cover him.
    He wants to import it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm of the opinion that the car has to be fully legal in the country the car is from to be allowed to transit through-out Europe?
    I.e. NCT must be valid and the cars tax must be paid. I'm paying for the tax even though the car spends a lot of time outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

bear1 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm of the opinion that the car has to be fully legal in the country the car is from to be allowed to transit through-out Europe?
    I.e. NCT must be valid and the cars tax must be paid. I'm paying for the tax even though the car spends a lot of time outside of Ireland.

Yes it has to be ncted and taxed in country of original registration. Maybe I'm being unclear but he wants to import his car from IRL to UK and wants to know process I.e. giving up irl reg and getting a UK reg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There are quite a few threads knocking around where people have asked this question. Maybe ask as well in the motors chat forum located here. People are always posting in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Just make him aware that insurance for this car will always be more expensive than an original UK vehicle.
    It will always have an 'Import' tick on the V5.
    Even if he was to sell it to a UK resident/citizen even they will pay more to insure it.
    It's a bit stupid I know, especially when you're talking about a very mainstream European Car, but that's the way it is.
    It would make more financial sense for him to sell it here and buy a car over there

Advertisement