Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best bike for budget of €1500-1800

• 17-10-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Firstly, apologies for another which bike thread (seems to be lots of us getting new machines at this time of year! :D)

So i'm on the hunt for a new bike at the moment and my budget is up to a max of €1800. I have been looking at a few bikes but i'm a bit unsure of what to buy. :confused:

Background: The last 2 years has seen me increase my cycling levels a lot and i'm approaching the 4,000 mile (6400 km) mark for this year. Currently have an aluminium framed, shimano tiagra 9 speed bike and im looking to upgrade.

Type of riding: I have been doing plenty of sportives in the past few years but i am interested in dipping my toes in racing in the future. Joined a club last January too which i feel has really benefited me. So basically i'm looking for a bike that will be fast and responsive whilst also being comfortable for long days in the saddle. :pac:

So my main options so far are the canyon cf sl 7.0, canyon al slx 9.0 or the rose xeon crs 2000

I like the idea of a carbon frame but the carbon canyon is almost 1kg heavier than the aluminium canyon. Which do you think would be better for my needs? Also there is the matter of aksiums v ksyriums and 105 v ultegra.
    Then their is the rose which seems to be a nice mix with carbon frame, ksyrium elites, 105 5800 and only weighs 7.05 kg.

At the moment i am leaning towards either the canyon cf sl 7.0 (best looking frame) or the rose simply because i love the look of the smooth, weld-free, carbon frames

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭Invincible

flying11 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Firstly, apologies for another which bike thread (seems to be lots of us getting new machines at this time of year! :D)

So i'm on the hunt for a new bike at the moment and my budget is up to a max of €1800. I have been looking at a few bikes but i'm a bit unsure of what to buy. :confused:

Background: The last 2 years has seen me increase my cycling levels a lot and i'm approaching the 4,000 mile (6400 km) mark for this year. Currently have an aluminium framed, shimano tiagra 9 speed bike and im looking to upgrade.

Type of riding: I have been doing plenty of sportives in the past few years but i am interested in dipping my toes in racing in the future. Joined a club last January too which i feel has really benefited me. So basically i'm looking for a bike that will be fast and responsive whilst also being comfortable for long days in the saddle. :pac:

So my main options so far are the canyon cf sl 7.0, canyon al slx 9.0 or the rose xeon crs 2000

I like the idea of a carbon frame but the carbon canyon is almost 1kg heavier than the aluminium canyon. Which do you think would be better for my needs? Also there is the matter of aksiums v ksyriums and 105 v ultegra.
    Then their is the rose which seems to be a nice mix with carbon frame, ksyrium elites, 105 5800 and only weighs 7.05 kg.

At the moment i am leaning towards either the canyon cf sl 7.0 (best looking frame) or the rose simply because i love the look of the smooth, weld-free, carbon frames

Giant Propel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

came across this today and it has to be the best priced Carbon Di2 bike out there. review are good as well - while it is a relatively new brand it is designed by a group of experienced people. the brake callipers and chainset are probably the first upgrade. but for €2K it looks like value for money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Invincible wrote: »
    Giant Propel.
    i presume you are referring to this ?

I'll be honest, i'm not mad about the look/aesthetics of the propel and at 8.2 kg, it seems a bit on the heavy side (relatively speaking) so i think i'll pass.

came across this today and it has to be the best priced Carbon Di2 bike out there. review are good as well - while it is a relatively new brand it is designed by a group of experienced people. the brake callipers and chainset are probably the first upgrade. but for €2K it looks like value for money

hmmm, now you are tempting me to go over my budget :pac:

the only thing is, that bike has 10 speed di2 which is already a bit outdated with 11 speed looking like it will be the future
    and it also has mavic cxp22 wheels which are what i have on my current bike at the moment and to be frank they are like boat anchors! would prefer a nice set of wheels when i upgrade

Think i'll give this one a miss too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

You're going to have make some compromises to stay within your price bracket. Even expensive road bikes often come with what might charitably be called 'training' wheels, because customers at that level are expected to have individual tastes in wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

hmmm, now you are tempting me to go over my budget :pac:

the only thing is, that bike has 10 speed di2 which is already a bit outdated with 11 speed looking like it will be the future
    and it also has mavic cxp22 wheels which are what i have on my current bike at the moment and to be frank they are like boat anchors! would prefer a nice set of wheels when i upgrade

Think i'll give this one a miss too

I should have added wheels to the upgrade list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hi all,

https://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/list.html?type=race&serie=Ultimate+AL+SLX&size=&state=&sort=new

You can have Di2 for 1999 if available in your size. Serious "bang for your buck"

Google reviews on the Ultimate AL.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/list.html?type=race&serie=Ultimate+AL+SLX&size=&state=&sort=new

You can have Di2 for 1999 if available in your size. Serious "bang for your buck"

Google reviews on the Ultimate AL.
    none in my size unfortunately. :(

I will keep an eye on that page over the next few days in case they add anything new though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

i presume you are referring to this ?

I'll be honest, i'm not mad about the look/aesthetics of the propel and at 8.2 kg, it seems a bit on the heavy side (relatively speaking) so i think i'll pass.

it would make a fantastic race bike but if your doing longer sportives etc wouldnt be the most comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

none in my size unfortunately. :(

I will keep an eye on that page over the next few days in case they add anything new though

Out of interest, what size are you? I had that set to the UL AL SLX. You can look at the other bikes in the drop down menu. CF, endurance etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

With you on the propel. Silly name, challenging aesthetics. Not my cup of tea. I'd go the Canyon, I've yet to see one in the metal that I didn't really really like. Neighbour just took delivery of a speedmax al and the quality of the build and the finishing kit is superb and for the price I think it's just incredible.

Plenty of pro- tour kudos too, which is nice :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ribble R872, with 11sp Ultegra and Fulcrum racing Quattro wheels comes in at 1750 euro.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-r872?part=BB14RIBR872&sub=conf_BBRC&bike=1

A lovely looking bike.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

lol...' challenging asthetics ' .

That Giant is rotten looking :). Whatever happened to nice looking Giants ?They havent made anything pleasant in a few years.

Canyon all the way for anything between 1000 and 2500. Unless its a Van Nicholas Ventus. The Bike Hub in Howth are doing VN.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/570046/products/van-nicholas-ventus-se-apex-titanium-road-bike.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ror_74 wrote: »
    lol...' challenging asthetics ' .

That Giant is rotten looking :). Whatever happened to nice looking Giants ?They havent made anything pleasant in a few years.
    They look better out in the world than in brochure shots.

01-IMG_70011.jpg

three-quarter-view.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Power10

Canyon Endurance CF ultegra 6800 groupset DT Swiss wheels delivered for 1950. Have one since last month... Can't say enough about it... Delighted with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Hi all,

Just to help your search, the rose CSL and CRS frames are identical, just different graphics.

Thanks for all the feedback lads, much appreciated.

I will be ordering this at the end of the week and I'm still torn between the rose and the carbon canyon. The ultegra canyon endurance cf is a bit outside my budget.
    Will wait a few more days to make up my mind and in-case some place pops up with an end of season a bargain (like westbrook cycles did on the scott foil during the summer).

Comparison
    |Canyon CF SL 7.0|Rose Xeon CRS 2000
    Frame Material| Carbon| Carbon
    Groupset| Shimano 105 5800| Shimano 105 5800
    Chain Rings| 52/36| 50/34
    Wheelset| Mavic Aksium| Mavic Ksyrium Elite S
    Finishing Kit| Canyon Own Brand| Ritchey WCS
    Claimed Weight| 7.6 kg| 7.05 kg
    Price| €1600| €1750

I'm swaying towards the Rose at the moment as the wheels are better and i like that i can customize the bike a lot more on the rose website in comparison to the canyon. I will be choosing the white frame option if i decide to purchase. Also, i'm not mad about the 52/36 chainset and 11-32 cassette (lots of gaps?) on the canyon as i think a 50/34 with (11-25) to would be more useful for me. Also the fact that rose bikes are a bit rarer also appeals to me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Just to let u know I have ordered rose xeon csl 3000 and it takes some time before u get ur bike. I ordered my bike at the weekend and it won't be ready until 18th of November!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Just to throw a spanner in the works, the current version of my bike, Wilier Izoard XP. Retailing around the €1400 mark with 105. Use the balance to upgrade the wheels and you've a great bike under you.

def_sx_izoard-nero.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭MysticMah

go to Di2 is the best !!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Thanks for all the feedback lads, much appreciated.

I will be ordering this at the end of the week and I'm still torn between the rose and the carbon canyon. The ultegra canyon endurance cf is a bit outside my budget.
    Will wait a few more days to make up my mind and in-case some place pops up with an end of season a bargain (like westbrook cycles did on the scott foil during the summer).

Comparison
    |Canyon CF SL 7.0|Rose Xeon CRS 2000
    Frame Material| Carbon| Carbon
    Groupset| Shimano 105 5800| Shimano 105 5800
    Chain Rings| 52/36| 50/34
    Wheelset| Mavic Aksium| Mavic Ksyrium Elite S
    Finishing Kit| Canyon Own Brand| Ritchey WCS
    Claimed Weight| 7.6 kg| 7.05 kg
    Price| €1600| €1750

I'm swaying towards the Rose at the moment as the wheels are better and i like that i can customize the bike a lot more on the rose website in comparison to the canyon. I will be choosing the white frame option if i decide to purchase. Also, i'm not mad about the 52/36 chainset and 11-32 cassette (lots of gaps?) on the canyon as i think a 50/34 with (11-25) to would be more useful for me. Also the fact that rose bikes are a bit rarer also appeals to me :D

Appears you have won your own argument :D

Advertisement