Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exploding Tins

Options
  • 10-02-2005 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought what I thought would be a good value pack of Heinz Beans from Tesco. There were 12 regular size tins for €5.99. I bought them about 3 weeks ago, they are not out of date until 2006 but today we discovered one had exploded in 12 pack packaging. I had to throw out that and the two tins beside it. The smell was woeful, like rotten fish. I didn't have the curiousity at the time to go investigating and opening the tin, so I just threw them all out.

There were about 5 other "safe" looking tins, although one had a bit of blemish on the it, a little rust, I don't know what this was caused from. Internally maybe?

Just a word of warning.

Regards.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My mum reackon's there was something fermenting in the tin, which produced huge amounts of CO2 causing the can to explode.

I've also just been informed by my mum that you should NEVER eat anything out of a dented tin no matter how small the dent. This is because it might have a teeny hole in it causing air to get into the can and botulism to occur. That's not something you really want.

Aren't mum's clever ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

something fermenting in the tin, which produced huge amounts of CO2
    I wonder what though??

Unless I dent the tin myself and I'm just about to eat it, I'll take your mums advice:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I would she was a science teacher :) Botulism a wee bit fatal to leave to chance.

Her latest guess on the exploding is that the can got contaminated before sealing and the bacteria or yeast (most likely culprits) that got in were feeding on the sugar in the sauce and releasing CO2. When there was too much CO2 the tin exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Damn beans, don't know what your getting! Give my thanks to your mum!
    Thanks to you too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Something similar happened to my mam, except the can only exploded once an attempt was made to open it. The rotten dog food went all over the kitchen (literally) and I nearly threw up from the smell. The can was not dented so I assumed when it was packaged a tiny amount of air was trapped in the can which caused the meat to rot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Egads - dog food is rotten enough without it actually being rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

it can be a hole in a tin or the tin wasnt sterilised properly. You could have got a load of free stuff from heinz if you had kept it.

Advertisement