Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh herbs

Options
  • 31-01-2005 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I find supermarkets are very unreliable for fresh herbs. The choice of herbs is very limited and there's never any guarantee that there are going to be any herbs available at all. Yet fresh herbs are a cornerstore of good cooking (dried ones are not the same)!

Why don't supermarkets have better selections? What's the sloution - will I have to start grow my own?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

yup if you want them fresh you really need to grow your own,
    for a lot of the basic plants/herbs you can buy a small pot and keep it on the windowsill 3 pots per sindowsill and you can have 9 to 12 herbs easily,
    just water them and give then a bit of plant food.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

simu wrote:
    I find supermarkets are very unreliable for fresh herbs. The choice of herbs is very limited and there's never any guarantee that there are going to be any herbs available at all. Yet fresh herbs are a cornerstore of good cooking (dried ones are not the same)!

Why don't supermarkets have better selections? What's the sloution - will I have to start grow my own?

Do what I did and complain! We shop regularly at Dunnes Stores in Cornelscourt usually on Sundays, and you'd often be lucky to even find a bag of curly parsely, let alone basil, coriander or flat parsley, say. Anyway, I filled in one of their customer comment forms a couple of weeks back, and lo and behold yesterday they had a full selection .. even had tarragon :)

That having been said, I grow the main herbs myself in the spring / summer outside in pots. I've never had much luck with windowsill growing myself.

Advertisement