Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free old steel bike with bits and bobs

• 12-09-2014 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

I inherited a bicycle from Lennymc here, maybe a year or two ago. I have not had the resoures to do anything with it, despite making repeated plans. I'll now pass it on to whoever wants it as long as they come and collect it, or I can bring it to Sundrive tomorrow where I'll be helpig out at Vets Champs.

Original thread is here and bike is pretty much in the same condition

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72015010

It's a 650c BTW

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'll take it off your hands if it is still available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'll take it off your hands if it is still available

Excellent. PM or text me to sort logistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i was just thinking recently about asking for that back..... :) next if cram doesnt want it.

lennymc wrote: »
    i was just thinking recently about asking for that back..... :) next if cram doesnt want it.

Ah balls. I thought about asking you but figured you were done with it. Sorry dude.

I will get a start on it and if it is not getting sorted at a fast enough pace, I will pass it straight on to you.

• Advertisement

I will get a start on it and if it is not getting sorted at a fast enough pace, I will pass it straight on to you.

LOL. Ok.

I was gonna set it up as a second ss cx bike running mafic centre pull brakes.

I was gonna set it up as a second ss cx bike running mafic centre pull brakes.
    Your dead to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭randomstuff

If it's still available, I was looking out for a bike that I can leave locked outside without worrying. So next in line I guess. Thanks :)

Mm, straight bars, gears & downtube shifters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

This thread hurts.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I was looking for an old frame that I could fill with water and throw rocks at if it's still available?

• Advertisement

No, it's pretty much gone dude. I do however have a relatively new steel Fuji frame with a stuck alu seat post which you're welcome to fill with caustic acid and abuse

Picked up from Harry yesterday, far better condition than I had expected. Sorry lennymc but it looks like I am keeping this for awhile, just waiting on a brake set and a chain and then I am ready to rock.

Big thanks to Harry for this,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

No, it's pretty much gone dude. I do however have a relatively new steel Fuji frame with a stuck alu seat post which you're welcome to fill with caustic acid and abuse

blowtorch the frame,let it cool and it should pop out.Ive a 80% sucess rate with this method

blowtorch the frame,let it cool and it should pop out.Ive a 80% sucess rate with this method

I was gonna say I didn't have a blow torch, but I actually have a weed burner thing from Aldi that may do the trick. Thanks

I was gonna say I didn't have a blow torch, but I actually have a weed burner thing from Aldi that may do the trick. Thanks

I have a pretty harsh paintstripper that I used for similar before if you want it and the weed burner does not work.

How does the paint stripper work?

How does the paint stripper work?

Pretty much like an electric blowtorch/hairdryer, heated the metal up quite well. It probably burns through electricity but I could not get my hands on a cheap blowtorch at the time.

Be careful with this method to get moving the seatpost as quickly as possible, some recommend throwing cold water on it to crack the bonds through sudden cooling, not sure I agree but there are videos on youtube, but they are clearly timelapsed, it is a long process. The truth is though if it is heavily chemically bonded, it may be a drill out job which really isn't worth the hassle and heating it may make it worse according to some.

You can also try dry ice through the BB (ie cool and shrink, rather than heat), if you want I can do this in my workplace and see if that helps. We get it once or twice a week for deliveries so have a bit to spare at least once a week.

Dry ice you say

368f80cfbd5a0c6d2e7dcfa8fd958bc5979ee7f1.jpg

I'm gonna get some penetrating spray first tbh, as I'll need it for some car parts soon enough too. I think I have nitromors somewhere too. Seatpost is cheap as hell so may just drill out

Dry ice you say

Productive day at work as you can tell

S1e25_Big_black_eyes.png

• Advertisement

Lennymc has first dibs so will wait to hear back from him but I am putting this back up with sadness in my heart. I started re building it but then loads of little snags (with life, not the bike) cut me short.

There is a brand new 9 speed SRAM chain on it, never used and I also have 2 mavic long reach brakes attached. If anyone wants the brakes to come with it, I will ask for the cost of them but I will take them off if they are not wanted.

Collection in South Dublin, it has to go as its a crime not to have it out on the road.

I'm still interested in this, if Lennymc wont want it back, give me a shout. Thanks.

ill take it back cram. It is a lovely frame and rides really well.

Thanks for thinking of me.

ill take it back cram. It is a lovely frame and rides really well.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Sorry Randomstuff, will drop you a PM to sort it out later, do you want the brakes?

i think im ok for brakes cram.

actually - thinking about this, i really have no time to take on another project. Randomstuff, you can go ahead with it. It rides really lovely when built up. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the frame cram/lenny/taxman.

Had a day off so gave the frame a full service.

Stem was seized, after some wd40 and plenty of elbow grease, Managed to pop it out. BB cups were loose so tightened those up also.

The frame is missing the bottom plastic piece for routing the mech cables. Is this universal and can I get it any bike shop or are they specific to each frame?

Regarding wheels, front 700c is fine, break can reach it easily.

The Rear is the issue, the tyre is slightly rubbing on the brake block under braking. Not sure if I should slam the wheel in the dropout or have it as close to edge as safe for the least amount of tyre rub?

Wanted to ride it today so threw on a single speed wheel on the back. It's a nice ride. Quite light.

Built up photo.

Also need to get a seatpost bolt, stole one from flatmates bike for now... :)

The Rear is the issue, the tyre is slightly rubbing on the brake block under braking. Not sure if I should slam the wheel in the dropout or have it as close to edge as safe for the least amount of tyre rub?

I have a funny feeling I have an extender from Harrybelafonte at home but not sure if it goes too far for a 700c rear wheel (i.e. it might rub the tyre but it might not), I will drop it into you over the week so you can try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Thanks for the frame cram/lenny/taxman.

Had a day off so gave the frame a full service.

Stem was seized, after some wd40 and plenty of elbow grease, Managed to pop it out. BB cups were loose so tightened those up also.

The frame is missing the bottom plastic piece for routing the mech cables. Is this universal and can I get it any bike shop or are they specific to each frame?

Regarding wheels, front 700c is fine, break can reach it easily.

Wanted to ride it today so threw on a single speed wheel on the back. It's a nice ride. Quite light.

I have the exact same problem on my old steel Carlton. After years of grinding down brake blocks and trying different brands (I found Clarks are the narrowest) I eventually bought a long reach set

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tektro-r559-extra-long-drop-caliper-brakes-lock-device/

It's really a slight rub. I think just grinding down the brake block will be most straight forward.

Any ideas regarding the under bottom bracket cable guide? I want to run gears.

It's really a slight rub. I think just grinding down the brake block will be most straight forward.

Any ideas regarding the under bottom bracket cable guide? I want to run gears.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-bottom-bracket-gear-cable-guide/rp-prod33951

Alot of LBS will have spares as well for the same money or try Rothar.

Great to see this back on the road. It really does ride lovely. Well done randomstuff

This is back up for grabs, my commute distance has increased and managed to grab a disc brake road bike.

Its fully built up at the moment, with super comfy Mary bars, decent set of wheels, brand new cassette, chain, BB, brake levers, brakes, grips, cables etc.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

This is back up for grabs, my commute distance has increased and managed to grab a disc brake road bike.

Its fully built up at the moment, with super comfy Mary bars, decent set of wheels, brand new cassette, chain, BB, brake levers, brakes, grips, cables etc.

:)

I'm interested- first grabs for Lenny obviously.

Edit: actually I'm not interested. Disregard post.

• Advertisement

Now that she's built up what do you want for her with all the extras, would be very interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Put me in the queue for this if the others back out.

I think at this stage,seeing it's been ridden by half the 410 community, it should be returned to it's original owner.

Gave Cramcycle the first go ahead on this, he wont be able to pickup until Friday, so he said if it doesn't go till then, he'll have it.

Not sure who is next in line?

Was looking at 150 for the bike, spent about 180/190 on the parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Think I'm next in line but I'll let Cramcycle take it as I wouldn't be able to collect until Friday at the earliest myself anyway.

• Advertisement

Lennymc or The tax man interested?

Lennymc or The tax man interested?

No I'm fine. My previous post was a bit tongue in cheek.;)

This is still up for grabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Not sure if there's somebody else in line but, if not, then I'd be interested. The bike looks great. In terms of size, would the frame suit somebody who is 6'1"?

MrSkinny wrote: »
    Not sure if there's somebody else in line but, if not, then I'd be interested. The bike looks great. In terms of size, would the frame suit somebody who is 6'1"?

I rode it and am 6'1 and the sizing seems fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

I rode it and am 6'1 and the sizing seems fine.
    Yes, I picked the bike up from randomstuff the other day and it fits and rides very well. Definitely a great improvement over the MTB I've been commuting on since I stupidly gave away my old steel bike last summer. I'll make sure to take good care of it!

Advertisement