Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year Arts at NUIM

Options
  • 07-09-2011 4:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18

Hi, I'm studying arts this year at NUIM and picking my subjects.
    Sociology is a definate.
    I think I'll do Geography aswel (even though I didn't do it for the LC),
    and then I want to do either English, Irish or German.
    I'd love to do english, I have a n interest in Journalism, but I hate Shakespeare, History etc.
    I like Irish very much, but it's supposed to be very hard.
    I don't love german but i love Germany and I know the benefits of having a language.
    I would appreciate any help and advice, thanks :D :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hiya :) if you're not into Shakespeare/history etc I really wouldn't recommend English. That's basically a large part of what you study for the first two years. It's not a necessity for doing journalism after you graduate anyway; any set of subject will be grand for getting in. One thing I'll say to you is to get involved with some of the publications on campus, as it will help you to get into a masters in journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Personally I thought Irish was fairly manageable; If you've a love for the subject, as with any subject, then you'll be fine! The lectures are all through Irish which can be a bit overwhelming at the start but by october you'll be well used to it!
    The tutorials/ceardlanna are a fairly big part of it and the new system was introduced last year, you'll have two hours of tutorials a week and you hand up projects which go towards your grade at the end of the year, the tutorials are really good for practicing your spoken Irish and a good way to meet people in your class as it's quite big. The lecturers are all grand! Hardest exam is probably the grammar exam at the end of the year but if you keep on top of the lecture notes then you'll be sound! People usually have problems with the oral exam at the end of the year but if you make an effort to speak Irish over the year then you won't have any problems!! Go n-éirí an t-adh leat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

what part of english do you like?

I'd say more important than if you like shakespare and history is whether you like literary theory and analysing.

Have a look through the module guides

http://www.nuim.ie/courses/?Target=QS&Mode=VIEW&QUALIFICATION_CODE=ENGL&YEAR=2012&TARGET_SOURCE=CS&KEYWORD=english

and looking through the exam papers is a good way of knowing what you can expect to learn by the end

http://library.nuim.ie/expert

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

lisa1 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm studying arts this year at NUIM and picking my subjects.
    Sociology is a definate.
    I think I'll do Geography aswel (even though I didn't do it for the LC),
    and then I want to do either English, Irish or German.
    I'd love to do english, I have a n interest in Journalism, but I hate Shakespeare, History etc.
    I like Irish very much, but it's supposed to be very hard.
    I don't love german but i love Germany and I know the benefits of having a language.
    I would appreciate any help and advice, thanks biggrin.gifpacman.gif

I studied Sociology and Geography in my first year and I can tell you that both modules fit well together.
    While I presume you know what Sociology is about, Geography is divided into two areas in first year: Physical and Human. (I didn't do Geography for my LC either and it makes no difference at university level).
    Physical Geography is essentially Geology, Hydrology, Climatology and Glacial studies; Basically, the 'science' end of Geography.
    Human Geography focuses on demographics, economic, social and cultural geography. This links up well with Sociology as it deals with class struggle, division of labour etc.
    Just an FYI though, both human geography and Sociology contain history lessons within each module, so be prepared smile.gif
    As for German, I know that you do not need any previous knowledge of German to do it in first year. A mate of mine did it in first year and he said that it is a mash-up of of the German language and German history/culture (again, history involved, sorryfrown.gif).

I hope that's of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I can only tell you about first-year German, but if you have any interest, you'll love it :) I'm assuming you'd be starting as a beginner by your post, I wasn't a beginner but I have plenty of friends who were and they found the language classes easy enough to keep up with.

The department itself is the friendliest I've seen, you'll get to know your teacher (the classes are about 20 people so it feels weird saying lecturer ;)) really well. Then there's the history and literature lectures, both in English. Depending on what you're into, I dunno whether you'll like these. I loved the history and hated the literature, but that was just my own taste.

Over the year you'll pick up loads of information about German culture, mostly by one particular tutor. It's all really interesting, and the course as a whole I've found very enjoyable.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 lisa1

Thanks very much everyone :) You've all given me a bit of extra confidence about my subject choices. I've provisionally picked Irish, Sociology and Geography, and I'm happy enough with them for the moment!

I'll be trying out a bit of German this week too.
    I want to say aswel, that I've been in for two days this week, and I'm overwhelmed at how friendly and open everyone is, and their willingness to help (Staff and students), (and of course, everyone on boards.ie too). I already know that I'm 'gunna love my time at NUIM :D The people, the atmosphere and the town are just buzzing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

lisa1 wrote: »
    Thanks very much everyone :) You've all given me a bit of extra confidence about my subject choices. I've provisionally picked Irish, Sociology and Geography, and I'm happy enough with them for the moment!

I'll be trying out a bit of German this week too.
    I want to say aswel, that I've been in for two days this week, and I'm overwhelmed at how friendly and open everyone is, and their willingness to help (Staff and students), (and of course, everyone on boards.ie too). I already know that I'm 'gunna love my time at NUIM :D The people, the atmosphere and the town are just buzzing!

I totally agree with you Lisa the support is amazing. I will see you in Sociology as that is one of the subjects I too have taken. :)

Advertisement