Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC cancellation charge - ridiculous

Options
  • 29-08-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

My housemate has been with UPC for over three years (even longer as it was under a different name at same address before her), and has had various problems with speed and connection over the years. Last year when it got to the point where they actually listened to the many complaints about the internet connection, the customer service agent told her the only way to improve the internet access was to get a new contract, which she did.

This summer we were in the process of moving to another area of the city and asked UPC to change the names on the contract to one of the new housemates coming into the house... a process that she went through previously, when she became a tenant over 3 years ago. The names and bank details were switched no problem then. This time UPC said that due to "data protection" that this is no longer possible. This change in policy was never communicated to her, something the terms and conditions states should be communicated to all customers!

So, she requested to move UPC to the new address. UPC agent told her that only the television service is available in this rural area. The internet is not available in this area at all.

On consulting the terms and conditions, it states on p.19 under condition 11.7 " if you terminate this Agreement before the end of the Minimum Period other than in the circumstances outlined in Paragraph 12 you must pay us a cancellation charge as per Paragraph 3".

In paragraph 12 (ii) it states "if we significantly reduce the content of the Services you may terminate this Agreement by giving us one month's notice within 30 days of such change".

UPC contend that because we choose to move house that we still have to fulfill the contractual obligations, despite not providing us with the service that we actually require - the internet. In the new house, there is no television hence we do not require a television service. They demanded we pay 200e cancellation fee. She outlined the circumstances in an email (which I'm taking most of this info from right now) and was sent an automatic email back which acknowledged the cancellation.

She followed this up a week later with a phone call to an agent who said the account was still live... she demanded it be cancelled and was told that the billing department will be expecting the 200e cancellation fee. She went straight to the bank and filled out a deauthorisation slip to make sure that her bank account will not be debited any further bills. The equipment is still in the previous apartment as we have moved since then, and an email was sent to collections to pick it up. The new tenants in our old place could easily have just used this equipment but had to set up entirely new contracts with UPC.

The past few weeks have been ridiculous and I've told my housemate to pay no further heed to UPC, but she is obviously very angry with UPC over the treatment that she has received from their customer service agents. She's also expecting a bill for 200e to be sent to the old address which she no longer lives at.

I know that she was still under contract to them, but surely when they cannot provide the most vital service then they are not keeping up with their contractual obligations as a provider of a service. They charge enough for what has been a pretty unreliable service in the past. Also, if a customer needs to move house, they are suddenly penalised??

TL;DR
    Has anybody else been chased for this 200e cancellation fee for moving house to an area where UPC doesn't even provide a service to?

And has anybody actually paid the 200e cancellation fee? If it was in my name, I certainly would not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

I was thirteen months with UPC last year, but four months in I'd changed contract to switch to Horizon. So with 3 months left on my contract, when I had to move address and UPC was unavailable in the new address, I was a little put off by the mention of the cancellation fee. When I called to question it the staff member I spoke to assured me that they rarely, if ever, charge the fee in such situations, taking the attitude that if they can't provide the service, it's their fault not yours. Definitely this case should be argued to the nth degree, I'd say you'll get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The contract is to provide certain services to a specified address, UPC have not significantly reduced the content of their services to your housemate , they continue to supply the agreed services to the same address as contracted. It is your housemate who is moving outside the area served by UPC broadband, that is her choice and UPC cannot be held responsible or be expected to be at a loss for her choices.

You could speak to their Customer Retention team who may be more amenable, they prefer to keep you as a customer rather than lose you all together. However ultimately if UPC are unwilling to waive the early termination fee then she should pay the €200 in accordance with the contract she agreed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Butterface wrote: »
    On consulting the terms and conditions, it states on p.19 under condition 11.7 " if you terminate this Agreement before the end of the Minimum Period other than in the circumstances outlined in Paragraph 12 you must pay us a cancellation charge as per Paragraph 3".

In paragraph 12 (ii) it states "if we significantly reduce the content of the Services you may terminate this Agreement by giving us one month's notice within 30 days of such change".

Read section 2.6...

If you move house, we will try, but shall be under no obligation, to provide you with the Services at your new address if it is within our serviceable area. You will still be liable to pay the applicable Charges in relation to the Minimum Period for the Services provided to your old address, even if you move from that address during the Minimum Period, or we do not provide you with the Services at your new address, or if your new address is outside our serviceable area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Hmm when I moved from Dublin to Carlow I called UPC to set up internet in the new house, they checked the address and said they couldn't provide broadband to us there so released us from our contract with no penalty, we still had a few months left on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think there's been a change in policy on this from UPC recently - they seem to be chasing for that fee more often now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

UPC are well known for recontracting people for dubious reasons. Try being nice and getting it discounted through their cancelations team, if that dosesn't work try a complaint to the comreg on the basis of recontracting to fix a service you'd had problems with in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sean100

Recently cancelled my Tv and kept my Broadband for which I have been out of Contract and UPC have just sent me a Bill with what I presume can only be cancellation charges called wait for it "Other Charges" €200
    They even came to pick up the boxes during the week absolutely outrageous.
    Any one have similar experiences when cancelling TV ? (Not in Contract)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sean100 wrote: »
    Recently cancelled my Tv and kept my Broadband for which I have been out of Contract and UPC have just sent me a Bill with what I presume can only be cancellation charges called wait for it "Other Charges" €200
    They even came to pick up the boxes during the week absolutely outrageous.
    Any one have similar experiences when cancelling TV ? (Not in Contract)

You must have been in contract if they applied that charge for that reason.

Nope - I have them years 12 month contract it was at the start

Nope - I have them years 12 month contract it was at the start

Then it wasn't a cancelation charge then. However UPC put you in a contract for sneezing so it's either an error or you were in contract. Made any changes in the last 12/18 months, got a deal in the last 2 years?

• Advertisement

No Deals & No Contracts agreed. ??

No Deals & No Contracts agreed. ??

You'll need to ring them as it's suspicious you have a canx charge if you've no contract. As I say UPC are notorious for recontracting. They've a talk to here I think, you might even get someone in the Northern Hemisphere if you're lucky :pac:

Thanks Man, Still no Joy ! A Shower of ****S !

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

Hey Guys. I got a tv and internet bundle with UPC in oct2013. In Jan 2014 i cancelled the tv and my contract was renewed to amend the changes.

i am moving house and want to keep upc but cant as the service isnt available where i am moving to. So i got two options, pay 200 cancellation fee or pay until jan. I finished my call and spoke with my partner.

Rang back to question it further and was sent to customer loyalty dept, which i think was in india. The guy couldnt understand me and i got frustrated hung up and rang again. Asked to be transferred to a supervisor and they hung up.

I am having a horrible time with this. I pay for a service, and yet it is legal to still charge me when the service provider cant provide. How is that legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To put it simply it's not their fault that you're moving to a location where they can't provide the service. You signed a contract for a particular location and now you're changing that.

It would be nice if they offered some sympathy in this situation, but they don't have to.

Thanks Man, Still no Joy ! A Shower of ****S !

My head is spinning with them. I am so furious. I agree totally with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

jjjade wrote: »
    My head is spinning with them. I am so furious. I agree totally with you!

When I moved a few years ago I called UPC to move the service to the new house, they said that they could not provide coverage in the new address so let us out of the contract, no muss no fuss, all in one phone call. I don't know if their policy has changed but we were mid contract at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yes, UPCs policy has changed and the change reflected in their T&Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

jjjade wrote: »
    Hey Guys. I got a tv and internet bundle with UPC in oct2013. In Jan 2014 i cancelled the tv and my contract was renewed to amend the changes.

Something doesn't tally here. If you changed your contract back in Jan 2014 (which is 20 months ago) how you are still in contract?

i signed up in oct 2013 (tv, phone, internet). Rang to cancel phone, tv in oct2014. Rep said its cheaper not to cancel phone so we kept it. Noticed our bill was higher than we got quoted and rang in Jan 2015. They refunded us, removed the phone and renewed the already renewed contract.

We have requested the recordings as this thing smells. And from what others are experiencing from looking online looks to be a regular complaint. I am aware I am in contract, but contacted comreg.ie to get advice as UPC messed up in oct with our contract and we were forced to renew it!

also, we got no documentation or contract from them from either times it was renewed. No warning of a cooling of period if we change our minds, and also they never mentioned the cancellation fee.

Rights can be found here

• Advertisement
Advertisement