Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tried to cancel Sky ended up in a 12 month contract.

Options
  • 19-08-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

A bit of background first.
    The sky box in my mothers house has never really worked properly. I have to to reset it and do rebuilds numerous times after sky engineers failed to appear on time more than once.
    The sky box has been getting worse and worse, and last week she decided to do something about it.

My Mother tried to cancel Sky last week, she got the usual "hold on while we transfer you" and attempts at changing her contract type and renewing something or other.
    Anyway, she had been advised to say no to anything that they threw at her, and continued to do so for the best part of the phonecall.
    Eventually they offered to send a Sky engineer out in a couple of days. She had, according to herself said numerous times before this that she didn't want an engineer, she wanted to cancel sky as she had initially wanted a new box, to which they said no (She's with sky over 10 years).

Later that day the box crashed again, and again I received a phonecall to talk her through a rebuild or reset depending on which one was needed. She told me about the phonecall, and I told her to cancel the engineer.
    She rang and told them she no longer wanted the engineer, she just wanted to cancel sky altogether, to which they replied "No, you are now under contract to sky for another 12 months."

She insisted she wanted to cancel everything and they refused. She cancelled the engineer etc.
    Today she received a letter telling her that she is under contract with sky for another 12 months.

TL:DR
    My mother tried to cancel sky, they persisted in recommending an engineer, which she refused at least twice.
    After accepting, she cancelled less than 24 hours later.

Now is told she is under contract with them for another 12 months.

Seeing as she cancelled everything less than 24 hours after agreeing to an engineer, is she entitled to tell them she doesn't want sky?
    Where does she stand legally?
    What advantage would getting a phone transcript and recording have, if any? Does that matter at all?

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Did she agree to a 12 month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Oryx wrote: »
    Did she agree to a 12 month contract?
    She says she didn't. That she only eventually agreed to an engineer, after saying no "numerous" times.

She says that they told her she had a 90 day cooling off period from the last contract and that they said they would ring her back, but never did.
    She says she definitely did not agree to a 12 month contract, and also told them that she did not want the 90 day cooling off period (Both in the initial phone call).
    I.E. She just wanted out.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ask for the recording where she agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

I've been trying to cancel mine for ages. They just won't take no for answer, and they put you off ringing.

Oryx wrote: »
    Ask for the recording where she agreed.

Yeah, I'll have to. As I'm writing this and asking her info, it's already changed twice. :(

She is confused (I can't blame her), but I'll have to ask for the recording.

She's now saying that they told her that she has a 90 day cooling off period/cancelling period if she agreed to a new contract. She said okay to the engineer and cancelled him within a very fast time (a few hours). When she rang to do so, they said she was under contract. The engineer was due out on Friday and never came, so it looks like they chose to listen to that part of the phonecall at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I've been trying to cancel mine for ages. They just won't take no for answer, and they put you off ringing.

Tell them you wish to cancel due to personal circumstances.
    They can't really argue with that!

Kensington wrote: »
    Tell them you wish to cancel due to personal circumstances.
    They can't really argue with that!

They don't argue. They also don't cancel subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

I cancelled mine 3 weeks ago with no bother.
    Just asked them to transfer me to cancellations and they did not bother.

5 minutes and job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

http://help.sky.com/articles/remove-a-package-or-cancel-your-subscription?country=ie

"You can also write to us or contact us by email at mysky@sky.uk but if you do so please be aware, we won't be able to cancel your Sky services unless we're able to verify your request by speaking to you on the phone. When emailing or writing to us, please ensure you include your name, your address, your postcode and your telephone number. Please note, it can take up to five days to receive a reply."

Cancel by email - allow them call to confirm. State clearly in email that no sales pressure or special offer is to be offered when calling for confirmation and that phone contact if for verification purposes only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

And cancel your direct debit immediately after you confirm you cancelled your account.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

After all this, she got through to them again. It's very frustrating, but she has accepted a new box from them and she is happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sky are a joke, I had to insist I was emigrating to Timbuktu and the response I got was, 'we can pause your subscription'. I had to be quite firm and tell them to GTF

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Balls.

I cancelled mine a few years back with little or no argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Do what Delahuntv says in #10 above.

Sky deservedly is coming under closer scrutiny from the Consumer Protection people as a result of their cancellation procedures. They appear to have trained staff for contract retention and I pity any elderly person trying to deal with them.

It took me months to have my subscription cancelled. Most of their contracts have a “cancel by email” clause but Sky do not like that – they want you to phone them on a fee-paying line. They deliberately give you the run-around and put the onus on the customer - for example I got several emails like this –

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.
    This is an automated response. If you require assistance, please telephone us on 08442 410 266. One of our Advisors will be happy to assist you.
    I hope this helps with your enquiry.

And another

As your account is registered in the Republic of Ireland, you will need to contact our Customer Services team directly
    Please have your relevant information available when you contact us such as your address, account number, viewing card number, and any password on the account.
    Our Customer Service team in Ireland can be contacted on 0818 719 819.
    Kind regards
    Louise

After several emails and about three months I got disconnected and then they started to threaten me with legal action and a debt collection agency all of which they said could affect my credit rating. . I refused to pay and wrote back saying in the event that Sky or its agents does anything that could impinge on my credit rating I will issue proceedings for damages, costs, etc. Eventually they issued a credit note with a waffle letter

Avoid Sky like the plague.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Balls.

I cancelled mine a few years back with little or no argument.

Oh I must be lying then. Your experience from years ago is clearly more accurate.

I've sent an email this time as per Delahuntv's advice.
    I hope it doesn't end up like this, although that was web chat.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3045839/The-customer-spent-96-minutes-3-800-words-trying-cancel-Sky-TV-contract-failed.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I have cancelled Sky twice in the last 5 years. Both times was a less than 10 minute exercise.

I told them I was emigrating. Little or no resistance after that.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

All these service providers have a script for cancellations, the reasons you give for cancellation dictates which script the use and what they offer you to get you to stay.

The best thing to say when they ask "why are you cancelling" is to say no reason i just want to cancel.
    This really confuses them as there is no script for this and no list of things they can offer you. It really upset a UPC cancellation team when I rang them some time ago.

JoeySully wrote: »
    The best thing to say when they ask "why are you cancelling" is to say no reason i just want to cancel.
    This really confuses them as there is no script for this and no list of things they can offer you. It really upset a UPC cancellation team when I rang them some time ago.

I tried that. They obviously managed to work with it.

delahuntv wrote: »
    http://help.sky.com/articles/remove-a-package-or-cancel-your-subscription?country=ie

"You can also write to us or contact us by email at mysky@sky.uk but if you do so please be aware, we won't be able to cancel your Sky services unless we're able to verify your request by speaking to you on the phone. When emailing or writing to us, please ensure you include your name, your address, your postcode and your telephone number. Please note, it can take up to five days to receive a reply."

Cancel by email - allow them call to confirm. State clearly in email that no sales pressure or special offer is to be offered when calling for confirmation and that phone contact if for verification purposes only.

It turns out that info is for the UK only. I was looking for the email address on the ROI site earlier and couldn't find it. They just don't seem to provide one. Their "want to cancel?" page is a joke - it's just like the phone calls where they keep selling you more and then at the very bottom if you still want to cancel they only provide the phone number.
    I just got this response now:

As your account is registered in the Republic of Ireland, you’ll need to contact our Customer Services team direct on 0818719819.
    Please have your relevant information available when you contact us such as your address, account number, viewing card number, and any password on the account.
    Please do not reply to this email as your reply will be sent to an unmonitored mailbox where emails cannot be read or responded to. If you have any questions or comments, please call us on the number provided.

So back to square one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Contact them on the Talk to forum on Boards.
    Pm your details and they'll call back.

Found them good to deal with this way. A public complaint focuses their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Go into the bank and Cancel the direct debit simple solution

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

I would guess if you gave any provider written notice via a registered letter and an email issuing notice that you intend to cancel and then cancel any DDs with your bank there is no way they can say then didn't know. So long as your not in breach of your contract with the provider I can't see a problem.

I had a similar problem only recently when trying to cancel a phone contract with a UK provider. It took over 40 mins on the phone to try and cancel but stuck to my script "I want to cancel" & ignored theirs. I wouldn't answer their questions, the poor lady in the call centre was very confused trying to work her way down the script, but I stayed the course with the same mantra until I got my result.

keavebm wrote: »
    Go into the bank and Cancel the direct debit simple solution

First of all, the bank are hardly easy to deal with either.
    But secondly, they make it sound like you're committing a crime if you cancel the direct debit before they've confirmed. I thought there was some threat they had used but maybe it was a different company. All they say now is: "It’s really important you don’t cancel your direct debit or any other ongoing payment arrangement with us until we’ve confirmed your cancellation. This is because any outstanding balance will need to be paid and cancelling the direct debit may lead to your account falling into debt." which really doesn't matter.

Anyway, I looked up countries Sky weren't in (they're in New Zealand) and said I was moving to Japan. The girl asked me a few questions about it, like as if she was being chatty but it sounded like she was testing me, but they're hardly going to ask for proof. Anyway, got it done eventually!

Point is, don't try to be honest, just lie from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

cancelled last week

was put on to their "executive cancellation team":D

Of course I lied, lost my job, need to cancel everything. straight away, we can reduce your payments from 31 to 19 a month til you get back on your feet.
    Im not interested.
    ok, how about 17 a month cos we love you and your such a good customer.
    no.
    ok, how about nothing for 3 months, then 17 a month. (Now Im actually seriously tempted by this cos Im gone freeview, but on the other hand I want to see how low theyll actually go) so I said no.
    He really tried the hard sell on that offer, I mean he tried and tried to the point so I just said I want this conversation to end and then he did the dreaded "screen froze" trick.
    "Can you hold for a minute while I work out your final bill" off he goes for a full 8 minutes. Comes back "sorry my screen froze" and then goes on the hard sell again. I know he was waiting for me to hang up and even if I got back on it wouldnt be him I got so someone else would probably lose commission. told him to please cut all the crap and just cancel it. Done.

Ive had the old "my screen froze " at final cutoff point on phone calls with broadband companies as well. Its just such a slimey thing to do.

Anyway, yes sky employ these people to stop you cancelling. Yes they hard sell, its how they get paid. Incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've never had a problem cancelling Sky. The times I had, didn't give a bogus excuse( why do people feel the need to invent scenarios?) just kindly declined their offers and discounts. It was totally hassle free.

Back with them at present the last two years with no hassle or issues, and year on year impressive discounts.

I'd half imagine these issues arise when people go into these calls with perceptions about their "going" to be a problem

Advertisement