Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CX terrain

Options
  • 28-08-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Anyone got any suggestions on some good off-road CX terrain in or or near Dublin mountains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Phoenix park is your only man really, usually best to go in the early evenings or v early mornings to avoid any crowds and events happening in the park..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

I have a couple of stubble fields in Kildare I'd hire out......

You could try the Curragh, the Kilcullen end has plenty of tracks and humps and hollows, just keep away from the firing ranges.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1297468,-6.7955858,3a,75y,18.74h,89.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJUtOzZHPVrPXLXyhpHC5LA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Get yourself an ordanance survey map of the Dublin mountains and go exploring. The Curragh (except for the sheep poo) and Phoenix Park are good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I was in Massey's woods today on my CX bike as part of my spin and would guess it would fit the bill fairly well. Lots of hilly bits if that's what your after, certainly had me puffing and panting.

Massey is fun. Went up Cruagh today and followed the fire road, along to Jonnie Foxes and onto Wicklow Way to Ticknock and down Kilmashogue. About 50km for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭paddie9

Curragh is good when you get to know it. Use the horse bridges to cross the motorway to race course side if you want to lengthen the route. If your going near the race course wait until after 11, except Sunday (horses have a day off).

Any got any other interesting routes in Kildare.
    Any leisure events in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Some CX terrain right here: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

nak wrote:
    Massey is fun. Went up Cruagh today and followed the fire road, along to Jonnie Foxes and onto Wicklow Way to Ticknock and down Kilmashogue. About 50km for me.

Fire road from Cruagh to JF? Sounds interesting. Can you show this on a map?

Alek wrote: »
    Fire road from Cruagh to JF? Sounds interesting. Can you show this on a map?

Used a paper OS map, involves tarmac too. Cruagh to Pine Forest, back on road for a bit, right turn along a lane, more fire road to Devils Elbow, road past JF then left turn to fire road which leads to Ticknock, wee singletrack section, fire road again to mast. Had to go through a few gates lifting the bike over as designed for walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭paddie9

nilhg wrote: »
    I have a couple of stubble fields in Kildare I'd hire out......

You could try the Curragh, the Kilcullen end has plenty of tracks and humps and hollows, just keep away from the firing ranges.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1297468,-6.7955858,3a,75y,18.74h,89.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJUtOzZHPVrPXLXyhpHC5LA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Any chance of making a few humps and bumps in them fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

paddie9 wrote: »
    Any chance of making a few humps and bumps in them fields.

Few there already, if I could just get the crop out, feel free to spin over and have a look.

Advertisement