Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indicator fast click - only for 2 or 3 seconds

Options
  • 16-02-2015 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Was away at the weekend and noticed that the right indicator was doing a fast click (lights and clicking sound going twice the normal rate), so thought there was a bulb out. But all bulbs are fine and the fast click only last for about 2 or 3 seconds, then returns to normal. And as I use the indicator more, this time reduces so that you only barely notice the fast click at first. Don't know where to go investigating this. I'm reluctant to start pulling things apart, but I don't want some issue where my lights are acting up when we're on the continent and its a b*tch to pinpoint the problem. As you know, some of these little issues can be quite niggly to sort out.
    What does the fast click only lasting a few seconds mean?

thanks

Comments

It's a load dependant relay. So corrosion will make the bulbs light dimly and look like one of the bulbs are missing to the relay . If cleaning all the bulbs and bulb holders and relay contacts with a wire wheel or sand paper doesn't fix it, I'd next suspect the relay.

A quick test would be to add another bulb in parallel to the circuit (5W-10W maybe) and see if the relay behaves.

Colder bulbs have lower resistance so best let them cool if you want to recreate the symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

It's a load dependant relay. So corrosion will make the bulbs light dimly and look like one of the bulbs are missing to the relay . If cleaning all the bulbs and bulb holders and relay contacts with a wire wheel or sand paper doesn't fix it, I'd next suspect the relay.

A quick test would be to add another bulb in parallel to the circuit (5W-10W maybe) and see if the relay behaves.

Colder bulbs have lower resistance so best let them cool if you want to recreate the symptoms.

Thanks, they're good suggestions alright, but its a tough one to troubleshoot as the fast click only lasts a few seconds. I'll clean the bulb contacts for now and see how I get on.

Laziest way to find the relay is turn your hazards on and listen out/feel for the one that's clicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

What is it , a 250 chassis? I reckon a dodgy bulb or holder.

Advertisement