Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of Visa Electron cards with Ryanair

Options
  • 30-11-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

I feel this merits a new thread
    Ryanair is to make MasterCard Prepaid cards the only form of free payment for consumers booking flights on its website, Ryanair.com.

Until now, Visa Electron cards have been the only fee-free payment method with the carrier, but from 31 December that will switch to MasterCard Prepaid cards. Visa Electron will now carry a €5 administration charge.

Ryanair claims that MasterCard Prepaid cards are more widely available across Europe, with Visa Electron unavailable in Belgium, Ireland, the Netherlands and Portugal.

It follows news that financial services brands such as Abbey and Travelex are to discontinue their Visa Electron products in 2010. However, Halifax and Bank of Scotland (BoS) have said they will continue to offer Visa Electron cards.

Link:

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/news/bulletin/dailynews/article/970434/?DCMP=EMC-MarketingDailyNews

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

think this is good news for most (not for people who got the electron card) if you get a mastercard prepaid card then you wont have to pay the booking fee when buying flights from ryanair and the card is available in ireland
    http://ryanair.com/en/news/gen-en-301109
    Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, today (30th Nov 09) announced that it will accept the MasterCard Prepaid card as its free form of payment from 1st December and its Visa Electron promotion will end one month later on 31st December. From 1st January the Visa Electron payment card will attract a €5 administration charge while MasterCard Prepaid will become the sole free from of payment on www.ryanair.com.

The MasterCard Prepaid card is much more widely available than Visa Electron and can be picked up from financial institutions/ card issuers throughout Europe (including Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands and Portugal) and online. Ryanair will accept both MasterCard Prepaid and Visa Electron as free forms of payment for all bookings during the month of December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But will it be all prepaid Mastercards or just Ryanairs own prepaid Mastercard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Thanks! But too slow! :P

Someone bet you to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

FFS

Makes my entropay account pretty redundant now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

jenno86 wrote: »
    Thanks! But too slow! :P

Someone bet you to it!
    yeah i saw that as soon as i post it, my post is a more positive BA though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

More from Ryanair site

Link:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/gen-en-301109
    MasterCard Prepaid now FREE payment method

Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, today (30th Nov 09) announced that it will accept the MasterCard Prepaid card as its free form of payment from 1st December and its Visa Electron promotion will end one month later on 31st December. From 1st January the Visa Electron payment card will attract a €5 administration charge while MasterCard Prepaid will become the sole free from of payment on www.ryanair.com.

The MasterCard Prepaid card is much more widely available than Visa Electron and can be picked up from financial institutions/ card issuers throughout Europe (including Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands and Portugal) and online. Ryanair will accept both MasterCard Prepaid and Visa Electron as free forms of payment for all bookings during the month of December.
    EU AvailabilityCountry Electron MasterCard Ppd
    Austria Y Y
    Belgium NO Y
    Croatia Y Y
    Czech Rep Y Y
    Denmark Y Y
    Finland Y Y
    France Y Y
    Germany Y Y
    Hungary Y Y
    Ireland NO Y
    EU AvailabilityCountry Electron MasterCard Ppd
    Italy Y Y
    Malta Y Y
    Netherlands NO Y
    Norway Y Y
    Poland Y Y
    Portugal NO Y
    Romania Y Y
    Spain Y Y
    Sweden Y Y
    UK Y Y

MasterCard Prepaid cards will not only provide savings on Ryanair flights but can also be used to withdraw money from ATMs and make retail purchases in shops and online.

To celebrate its new free payment method Ryanair will, from midnight (24:00hrs) tonight, release 250,000 Christmas seats for just €5 each for travel on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in late December which must be booked on www.ryanair.com before midnight (24:00hrs) Thursday (3rd Dec).

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“We are pleased to announce our new partnership with MasterCard which will enable consumers to save even more when travelling on Ryanair’s unbeatable low fares. MasterCard Prepaid Cards are widely available across Europe from financial institutions and online.

“Passengers can use their MasterCard Prepaid Cards to pay for Ryanair flights from 1st December, while our Visa Electron promotion comes to an end on 31st December. Bookings made with Visa Electron from 1st January will be subject to a €5 administration charge. Ryanair encourages all passengers to sign up to the widely available MasterCard Prepaid so that they can continue to snap up unbeatable fares such as the 250,000 €5 Christmas seats which are available on over 500 routes until Thursday.”

Bond-007 wrote: »
    But will it be all prepaid Mastercards or just Ryanairs own prepaid Mastercard?

Is says mastercard prepaid cards so I would presume any mastercard prepaid card, but I'm there will be a catch!

Out of interest, I have read somewhere that Ryanair have to offer one form of no booking fee, EU makes them. is this true? If so, what is Aer Lingus fee free payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

How can they tell an ordinary mastercard account from a prepaid one?

funnyname wrote: »

I presume they have specific numbers the start such as bill mastercards are 1234.... and prepay are 5678.....

Open to correction but they will know!

• Advertisement

glanman wrote: »
    Out of interest, I have read somewhere that Ryanair have to offer one form of no booking fee, EU makes them. is this true? If so, what is Aer Lingus fee free payment?
    Currently it is Visa Electron.
    funnyname wrote: »
    glanman wrote: »
    I presume they have specific numbers the start such as bill mastercards are 1234.... and prepay are 5678.....

The first 6 digits tell them what type of card it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Sweet FA on the Mastercard Ireland corporate website about who issues Mastercard Prepaid cards in Ireland, has anyone got a list? or at least know of one Irish issuer?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Most shopping centers sell them as their own gift cards.

If you for example buy a Gift Card at Dundrum Town Center you will get a Prepaid MasterCard, which can be used everywhere.

http://www.dundrum.ie/gift-cards/

http://perfectcard.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

they seen to be here

http://www.payzonemoney.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,784 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Threads merged!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

You are charged at the payzone outlet to put credit on the prepaid card. It's not much, but it isn't free.

Eg. When you go to the shop and put €200 on your card you will get charged €3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

A Lot of those Prepaid Mastercards have tons of ancillary charges. Sometimes £5 a month dormancy or a load fee/usage fee. I appreciate they are a business, but those can add up over the course of a year to far more than the saving.

Ok these are payzones charges:
    Loading your card:

Loading Amount
    Fee
    €10 - €350 €3.50

€351 - €500

€5.95

Shopping with your card:

Transaction Type
    Fee
    2.95% of purchase value

Instore

2.95% of purchase value

Phone

2.95% of purchase value

ATM withdrawal charge: €1.50

No Monthly Account Fee

* If your account is inactive for over 3 months you will be charged a fee of €3.50 for every month it is inactive.
    2.95% of purchase value is the real killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

yeah the 2.95% is a bit steep, but I suppose if you had this card exclusively for cheap ryanair flights then it wouldn't be a big deal, 2.95% of 10 euro isn't much. If you had a combination of this and a 3v card you could have credit card features for a reasonable overall price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Wonder what happened to the Ryanair prepaid Mastercard that was launched last year with an €85 annual charge and a charge per transaction of 50p/75c?

• Advertisement

It is the 2.95% service charge and the loading fee together that is the killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Presumably Wirecard, much discussed on this forum, would be an option. I haven't used mine in a long time but as I recall the charges were nothing like Payzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Wirecard is the first thing to pop to my head too. Great service!

cormie wrote: »
    Wirecard is the first thing to pop to my head too. Great service!

Are you still using yours? From what I remember I stopped using mine because of the complicated way of loading it. Is it still as complicated?

It was the complicated way of loading that stopped me from using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I stopped using mine because I started using the Halifax one which is just far handier considering there's a Halifax branch less than 500m from my front door, they are open till 5 and on a Saturday and the money is on your card before you even leave the bank.

Wirecard wasn't too bad, you could do it from AIB online in a matter of seconds, the only bad part was having to wait about 4 or 5 days before it showed up as available on your account. Not complicated at all once you've done it once.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Wonder what happened to the Ryanair prepaid Mastercard that was launched last year with an €85 annual charge and a charge per transaction of 50p/75c?
    www.ryanairprepay.com

That was it. I'm with Ulster bank and I couldn't do it online with them. I had to physically withdraw cash and go to the local BOI and deposit it, then even that became complicated. Still, I must revisit.
    The Halifax CC is excellent but unfortunately that's Visa, so no use in this case.

You can't deposit money in BOI for Wirecard anymore.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You can't deposit money in BOI for Wirecard anymore.

How is it done now?

Advertisement