Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads running even with Broswer minimized

Options
  • 30-08-2015 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭

Boards.ie advertising has become incredibly intrusive.

Frequently now the advertising videos will start running even with my browser minimised. I'll hear sound coming from my headphones across the room and it turns out some ad has started on Boards.ie.

If I leave boards.ie open in a tab, then ads will start running. So i have to close boards.ie instead of leaving it open.

Why is this happening?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Chrome will start blocking Flash and Autoplay ads starting tuesday.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/08/31/google-chrome-will-block-flash-from-tomorrow-well-sort-of/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Thanks. I should have said I'm using Firefox. Maybe I'll try Chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Overheal wrote: »
    Chrome will start blocking Flash and Autoplay ads starting tuesday.

Does this mean we can't recommend Chrome as a browser, on this website, in the same way the diktat was handed down that we cannot recommend ad-blocking software?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

No ads on the site should ever autoplay sound - if they do it's because some advertiser has deliberately mis-labelled their ad to get it onto as many sites as possible via Google Ads. I've just spotted one myself for Dettol - an autoplaying enormous ad (no sound though) and have asked the traffic manager to nuke it. If you spot any more of these, please report them in the thread provided here.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I had three board tabs open in FF today and two of them started auto-play ads, which are extremely annoying.

I use FF because it blocks Yahoo ads better than Ad Block on Chrome.
    Note: We do support Boards advertisers, but auto-play ads are a bit too much.
    Thanks for listening. (excuse the pun)

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

No worries. The auto-play ads are a pain in the rear which is why we don't allow them but they do slip through sometimes and we've to block them manually.

Advertisement