Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Date Activities in Cork

Options
  • 18-05-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Well the title says it all really :o

Aside from going drinking, can people suggest things to do on a first date in Cork? Preferably something short (1-2 hours), in public and in the city or suburbs? Even when going for a drink, what pubs are good midweek? Nothing worse than when the place is empty or you're clung up on top of people that can hear your every word! I think it's good to have something to do as a distraction because sitting looking at each other talking can be a bit intense! I've tried bowling/pool and going for a stroll but would love some suggestions....

Kaz

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

A trip to fota prehaps? Followed by an intimate drink in the city centre after ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

To be honest I never looked beyond the pub. The few drinks helps you relax a bit and talk more, greases the wheels of conversation. Plus you have the added bonus of being able to strike off if things go horribly wrong.

Cinema is pointless as you are sitting in silence for two hours, and I am always a bit shell shocked after coming out of the cinema, an assault on the senses.

Bowling isnt bad I suppose - but you really only end up talking about the game - commenting on its others shots.

Dinner can be a bit formal, it brings more pressure to talk - unless you have a few drinks in a pub first.

Going for a walk just seems a bit blah - I know many women that would run a mile if asked to go for a walk.

I would put going to a gig or the comedy club up there with the cinema - kind of pointless - noisey places when you don't know somone.

Back to the pub - mid week for a first date I would consider Counihans, Bodhran or maybe Costigans. Enough people to people watch but not full either. I would maybe consider the Chateau on Patrick street maybe - not everyone's taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

murphym7 wrote: »
    To be honest I never looked beyond the pub. The few drinks helps you relax a bit and talk more, greases the wheels of conversation. Plus you have the added bonus of being able to strike off if things go horribly wrong.

Cinema is pointless as you are sitting in silence for two hours, and I am always a bit shell shocked after coming out of the cinema, an assault on the senses.

Bowling isnt bad I suppose - but you really only end up talking about the game - commenting on its others shots.

Dinner can be a bit formal, it brings more pressure to talk - unless you have a few drinks in a pub first.

Going for a walk just seems a bit blah - I know many women that would run a mile if asked to go for a walk.

I would put going to a gig or the comedy club up there with the cinema - kind of pointless - noisey places when you don't know somone.

Back to the pub - mid week for a first date I would consider Counihans, Bodhran or maybe Costigans. Enough people to people watch but not full either. I would maybe consider the Chateau on Patrick street maybe - not everyone's taste.

I'd agree with everything you say except the Chateau! God for a first date?! No way :P Are ye smokers or non-smokers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Greyhound racing at Curraheen, enough to keep you both occupied if conversation turns out to be an issue :p Defined beginning and end so you can duck out without feeling guilty and they do chips...what more could you want?!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Those are great first date ideas for someone you really like but I'm thinking more when you don't really know if you do or not so I want to keep it short and sweet!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

cork airport? /

How short are we talking? Speed dating short?? Once around the Lough with some snacks for the swans? :rolleyes:

1-2 hours max :) Nothing worse than meeting someone at 8 for a night out and knowing by 8:10 it's not going anywhere and then feeling obliged to stay out late because it would be rude to cut it that short. As well, unless it's someone you know before you're going on a date with them I think it's a bit full-on to talk to someone you don't really know for 4+ hours one-on-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Try Movie Junction. It's pretty cool. It's the drive in cinema thats about ten minutes outside the city. It's like going to the cinema only mre intimate because it's just the two of you in the car and you can talk as much as you like. The sound is sent to your radio and they give you a heating lamp and every space has a canopy over it to keep the rain off so the weather doesn't matter so long as you can still see the screen. You can also bring whatever food you want (and they go around seilling burgers, chips and popcorn during the film) and it's no more expensive than a normal cinema. I highly recommend it.

(Movie Junction did not pay me to say this)

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Try Movie Junction. It's pretty cool. It's the drive in cinema thats about ten minutes outside the city. It's like going to the cinema only mre intimate because it's just the two of you in the car and you can talk as much as you like. The sound is sent to your radio and they give you a heating lamp and every space has a canopy over it to keep the rain off so the weather doesn't matter so long as you can still see the screen. You can also bring whatever food you want (and they go around seilling burgers, chips and popcorn during the film) and it's no more expensive than a normal cinema. I highly recommend it.

(Movie Junction did not pay me to say this)

But if the OP wants to be able to make a quick exit if things aren't going so well, stuck in a car in a lot with other cars outside the city, watching a movie that is probably 2 hours long, enclosed space in the car.... :eek:

Still MJ is a good concept. Went once during winter though and nearly died from the cold against which the "heaters" were fairly useless (probably because you have to keep door/window open a bit to get cable in), so planning to go again in summer since that problem won't be there. Would not go after summer again though until I know I won't freeze!

• Advertisement

tommy21 wrote: »
    But if the OP wants to be able to make a quick exit if things aren't going so well, stuck in a car in a lot with other cars outside the city, watching a movie that is probably 2 hours long, enclosed space in the car.... :eek:
    Heehee my thoughts exactly :)

Really intrigued as to who this potential date is and where you found them...you sound so pessimistic about it already! Would you even bother going out with them if you don't actually know them at all...like really? If the possibility that you won't be able to stomach 2 hours of their company is so great I'd be inclined to look elsewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I was thinking if they didn't hit it off they could just ignore each other and watch the film. Sure it'd be pretty damn awkward, but well...movie. (I just really like the cinema :P)
    Still MJ is a good concept. Went once during winter though and nearly died from the cold against which the "heaters" were fairly useless (probably because you have to keep door/window open a bit to get cable in), so planning to go again in summer since that problem won't be there. Would not go after summer again though until I know I won't freeze!
    I was able to get the door fully closed with the wire sticking in under the bottom. Sucks that you were frozen. You could bring sleeping bags next time :)

ríomhaire wrote: »
    I was thinking if they didn't hit it off they could just ignore each other and watch the film. Sure it'd be pretty damn awkward, but well...movie. (I just really like the cinema :P)

I was able to get the door fully closed with the wire sticking in under the bottom. Sucks that you were frozen. You could bring sleeping bags next time :)

Haha I wouldn't advise it anyway!

Yeah I did that eventually but it just was not warm enough. Radio reception wasn't 100% either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

How about buying some greens and walking a lap of the lough feeding the swans and fish as yiz go and then finishing up by the hawthorne and having a pint/coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

mawk wrote: »
    How about buying some greens and walking a lap of the lough feeding the swans and fish as yiz go and then finishing up by the hawthorne and having a pint/coffee?

I dunno what "buying some greens" means, but the rest of that is a great idea. I love doing that on a sunny day. Having a pint outside the Hawthorne is great, watching the joggers go by, people feeding the swans (not anymore,) toddlers almost falling in. Really relaxing.

If you're not a fan of pints, there's a Chinese restaurant above the Hawthorne now (at least there was last summer.) Does an alright meal for not too much either.

Buceph wrote: »
    I dunno what "buying some greens" means, but the rest of that is a great idea. I love doing that on a sunny day. Having a pint outside the Hawthorne is great, watching the joggers go by, people feeding the swans (not anymore,) toddlers almost falling in. Really relaxing.

If you're not a fan of pints, there's a Chinese restaurant above the Hawthorne now (at least there was last summer.) Does an alright meal for not too much either.

Some veggies for the swans - its actually really bad to feed them bread etc. encourages some sort of growth in water that made them all very sick a year or so back (botulism I think, could be wrong) - presume thats what OP meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

It is. If you're there in business hours the pet shop over by the traffic lights sells a mixed bird food that the birds there go loopy for. Only a few euro a bag

mawk wrote: »
    It is. If you're there in business hours the pet shop over by the traffic lights sells a mixed bird food that the birds there go loopy for. Only a few euro a bag

But worth its weight in gold if you curry her favour OP - that's if you can stand her for long enough ;) Gods speed Kaz

pow wow wrote: »
    Really intrigued as to who this potential date is and where you found them...you sound so pessimistic about it already! Would you even bother going out with them if you don't actually know them at all...like really? If the possibility that you won't be able to stomach 2 hours of their company is so great I'd be inclined to look elsewhere :D

This one is a blind date :D So a bit worried about who my friends think I could be suited to!!

Semi considering a spot of internet dating in the future because it's nigh in impossible to get chatting in a pub/club. So don't want to have to spend a whole Saturday night and a shedload of dosh on every date. I'd rather kill an hour or two midweek for the initial meeting! It's a bit like the lotto I guess, if you're not in you can't win, but winning is still fairly unlikely!

I like the Lough, that's a good suggestion. I'm thinking of things that have some bit of a distraction to prevent us just sitting there looking at each other in awkward silence.

• Advertisement

Kazbah wrote: »
    This one is a blind date :D So a bit worried about who my friends think I could be suited to!!

Semi considering a spot of internet dating in the future because it's nigh in impossible to get chatting in a pub/club. So don't want to have to spend a whole Saturday night and a shedload of dosh on every date. I'd rather kill an hour or two midweek for the initial meeting! It's a bit like the lotto I guess, if you're not in you can't win, but winning is still fairly unlikely!

I like the Lough, that's a good suggestion. I'm thinking of things that have some bit of a distraction to prevent us just sitting there looking at each other in awkward silence.

You might not win the jackpot, but you could get lucky with a scratchcard?:cool:

If you get bored, you can take her on the swan ride.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

best pub in town for a pint or two for a first date?? Need advice asap. Was thinkin fran well but she said no, maybe an spailpin fancaht, what are ye thinking??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Go to the cinema or if ye both drink the Old Oak is a good spot during the daytime for a pint/mineral and a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Mutton Lane for a first date. Candle light, atmosphere, people and a good selection of beers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

best pub in town for a pint or two for a first date?? Need advice asap. Was thinkin fran well but she said no, maybe an spailpin fancaht, what are ye thinking??

I used to favor the raven. Busy enough not to be weird but usually somewhere to sit. Kind of place that most wont love or hate too, i think.

Spailpin? Love the pub but in a group, no music and quiet increase the awkwardness potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

Any ideas for a midweek date (in the evening) not involving alcohol?

Bowling, pool, stroll around fitzferalds park, Starbucks, kayaking, snatch comedy in the Roundy, live music in gallaghers, check out what's on in the Opera House, Triskel....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

A cafe is good as well. I'm loath to support Starbucks though over their planning "irregularities".

Eevryone on this thread needs to informed as to how this all goes by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Any ideas for a midweek date (in the evening) not involving alcohol?

Have a look for the ghost tour walk on trip advisor, good craic, interesting and would give you something to chat about over coffee afterwards

• Advertisement
Advertisement