Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headlight beams on LHD camper

Options
  • 13-02-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Is it necessary to have the headlights beams changed from LHD to RHD beams for a DOE test. Is this a big job and more importantly is it an expensive job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Can't have any kickup to the right, beam deflectors are accepted for the DOE, whats the vehicle, some are switchable. If you have polycarbonate lenses you have to make sure the ones you get are polycarbonate safe and you should remove them every now and then or fit a pair of headlamp protectors with the deflectors attached. I like the metro beam benders as the central part isn't stuck and they don't get hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lookaround52

The Van is a 2009 Ducato. Do you mean the 'stick on' deflectors that are available in car accessory shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

The Van is a 2009 Ducato. Do you mean the 'stick on' deflectors that are available in car accessory shops?

Yep you can get headlamp covers from fiat for ducato that serve the dual function of protecting your headlamps from physical damage, UV and damage from the adhesive or heat due to deflectors. When you go on the continent you can clip them off andvclip them back off when you're home. They are usually premarked with the location for the deflectors too.

Best suggestion yet I think was in the DOE thread.
    RHD lense on the left, LHD lense on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Best O the Co tinentuggestion yet I think was in the DOE thread.
    RHD lense on the left, LHD lense on the right.

Will that not mean that dipping while on the Continent, will have a dazzle effect on oncoming traffic? As a RHD lens throws a stronger light to the hedge/verge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Will that not mean that dipping while on the Continent, will have a dazzle effect on oncoming traffic? As a RHD lens throws a stronger light to the hedge/verge?

I would have thought the same. I just use beam benders. I don't take them off in France. Can't remember the last time I had to drive in the dark here or in France.

It means both are adjustable to have the rise on the verge. They only give a hard line rotating in one direction. Rotating the opposite way floods them out.

So yes you would still have to adjust them as per country you are in.

With a LDH and RHD lense setup you can focus either to a horizontal line and the verge side as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Probably as handy to stay with the beam benders, for all the night driving I do. Unless I happened to have a headlamp get broken. Most people, if they start adjusting lamp focus abroad or wherever, more likely to make a mess of it unless they take note of the "number of turns".

It usually takes me three tries to get it right (4 lights).
    All you need is a bare wall. It's a bit harder do it referencing the road.

Those Check you Headlamp Here reflectors in Topaz are useless, all they do it diffuse and reflect the light. Matt white is best.

hid-halogen.jpg

LHD pic

Advertisement