Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macbook Pro vs XPS 13?

• 02-06-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

Any opinions here?
    At first glance I can get similar speced machines but the Dell is slightly cheaper.

Macbook
    15-inch: 2.3GHz
    with Retina display
    Specifications

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (8 hours)2

XPS 13
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4510U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)

Windows 8.1 (64Bit) English

Intel® HD Graphics 4400

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600Mhz (On Board)

512GB mSATA Solid State Drive

34cm (13.3”) LED Backlit Touch Display with Truelife and FHD resolution (1920 x 1080)

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Well specs wise the Mac book wins hands down,

You have a dedicated graphics card while the XPS has integrated graphics.

Plus you have a nicer screen and more ram.

All in all the Mac book is a better machine.

Note they are due a refresh in the coming months, so you could end up buying one only for apple to update their product line and release newer cheaper better versions of them.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

Also where are you seeing a 15" mac book pro that is only slightly cheaper than a Dell XPS 13

XPS13 starts off at €1349 while a MBP starts off that €2049

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Thanks for the reply.
    I meant to post the specs for a 13inch MBP, which is closer to the price of a XPS13.
    I wasn't aware of the difference in graphics cards. I'm not to interested in graphics as such but I'm aware that a discrete card will lead to a faster computer which is all that I want.
    I just want the fastest possible laptop that I can carry in a backpack comfortably. Not too much to ask in 2014 I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

matc66 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I meant to post the specs for a 13inch MBP, which is closer to the price of a XPS13.
    I wasn't aware of the difference in graphics cards. I'm not to interested in graphics as such but I'm aware that a discrete card will lead to a faster computer which is all that I want.
    I just want the fastest possible laptop that I can carry in a backpack comfortably. Not too much to ask in 2014 I hope.

Well yes and no, the most noticeable speed improvements would come from the RAM and Hard Disk. If you got a laptop with an SSD (Solid State Drive) with decent Ram , you'd have a lightning quick machine.

If i was to choose one, i'd go for the Mac 13", They are better build machines and alot of work has been done to get as much efficiency from the hardware as possible.

What will you be using it for? there might be some issues picking a mac and finding out the software you use doesn't work on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Thanks,

It'll be used for music, downloading, browsing. Light photo work. Carried into work five days a week on a bike in all weather.
    Car journeys to keep the kids occupied. etc

Advertisement