Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

which windows do I buy?

Options
  • 01-06-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am wondering which windows version do I buy for a fresh install of windows on my laptop. I am hoping to get windows 7 professional

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Whichever one you want, really. If you're planning on buying it, get the one that you're willing to give that much money for.

Ultimate is what all the cool kids use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brian.gill98

Ruski wrote: »
    Whichever one you want, really. If you're planning on buying it, get the one that you're willing to give that much money for.

Ultimate is what all the cool kids use.

I would prefer the cheapest option as you would expect, but which version do I buy? The OEM is cheaper but I don't know what it is... And what's the difference between ultimate, professional and home premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

There's a nice comparison chart here. Take a look and see if those really mean anything to you. One main thing I can think of is if you have a sick amount of RAM, like anything over 16GB, Windows Home Premium cannot see it, but Professional and Ultimate can.

I haven't a clue what Windows OEM is either. From googling around, I assume that it's a version that has been "branded" (for lack of a better word) by a computer manufacturer like Dell, HP, or whatever. Like a version that you buy from a laptop manufacturer. I can't say much more about that.

You could look around online for a deal or see if there's a sale on anywhere. Professional seems to be a more sensible option than Ultimate if you're going to spend money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

no point in pro or ultimate unless you plan to seriously take advantage of file encryption or spot a feature you will certainly need.

Advertisement