Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked out of Windows7

Options
  • 26-05-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

A friend has a laptop running Windows 7. Recently when she switched it on it started as far as log in but when when she entered her password she got 'Log in does not recognize user profile'. Retried a few times same thing. Took out power lead and battery got 'Windows did not shut down properly etc' went to ''start normally' got as far as Log in and same thing. There is no other user and she definitely did not change the password. What can she do next

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Couple of things you could try. On boot there should be an option to go in to Safe Mode (usually tapping the F8 key while it's powering up...it's either F8 or F12...can't remember).

When choosing Safe Mode you can log on as Administrator and check User Accounts in Control Panel.

The other way is to download / burn OphCrack.

ophcrack(dot)sourceforge(dot)net/download.php?type=livecd (replace 'dot' with an actual dot!).

OphCrack will run as a liveCD and try to retrieve your password(s). Completely safe (have used it many times before).

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

Thanks for that. Will try starting in safe mode tomorrow. (I am only marginally more tech savvy than my friend)

Hi sugarman, that sounds encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

sounds as though her user profile has become corrupted:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

Thanks for all the help. Started up today in safe mode and was able to do a a System Restore. Can now log in normally again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 baggie12

I also locked out of Windows 7 and finally I use Windows Password Recovery Tool
    It works like a charm!
    You can Google search it.

Advertisement