Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a car in the UK

Options
  • 18-08-2008 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Thinking of getting a 1L Opel/Vauxhall Corsa 2001-03 reg can only really spend £2-3k. I am looking at getting it in the UK my father has a house in England so would I be able to get the car registered there so I dont have to pay to import the car into Ireland and would I be able to get insured on the car in Ireland even though it is a UK reg?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap 1L car?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As an Irish resident you will not be legally allowed drive a UK registered car here. Your fathers house in the UK would not be enough to prove 'strong personal ties' to the UK so you would be obliged to register the car and pay motor tax.

£3,000 in euros would get you a 2004 Fiat Panda in Ireland, registered. 1108cc, not really any harder to insure than a 1.0.

Advertisement