Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Water in fuel tank - Punto '96

Options
  • 16-08-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

Filled up my Punto Mk. 1 with unleaded today, and for free the pump also supplied me with rainwater mixed in with the petrol. Anyone have any advice on how I'd go about draining the tank? Or should I be putting the car into a garage? I am chasing up the Esso station, letting them know their fault (as are the numerous others who are having trouble), but they're denying involvement as one would expect. So I'd prefer not to have to use a garage unless they are footing the bill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

are you certain there's water in it?

have you exchanged numbers with the numerous other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

It hasn't been checked over yet, but from my own knowledge I can't see much else wrong. The engine bay wasn't really wet, apart from the odd splash here and there, so I don't think any components were wet, and we did leave it for a few hours to dry out. Though there was a mechanic checking another car with the same problem, and he said there was water in the tank.
    I've no numbers, but I know the two of the others I spoke to. Other cars were just stranded there, and I can only presume its a similar problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Were you able to start it at all after you filled your petrol water mix?

What has the wet patches in the engine to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Im a little confused
    so the pump gave you water instead of fuel??????/ is that it??

Avens1s wrote:
    Were you able to start it at all after you filled your petrol water mix?

What has the wet patches in the engine to do with it?

No it wouldn't start at all, the tank was almost empty and I filled it up. Sorry, there was flooding around where I live, and a wet engine could prevent the engine starting.
    woop wrote:
    Im a little confused
    so the pump gave you water instead of fuel??????/ is that it??

Yeah it looks like it. Most likely water and fuel mixed.

• Advertisement

if there was water in the petrol, the car would have started but then gradually started to splutter and then stalled.
    What exactly is happening, I presume the starter motor is turning, but nothing is happening?

Are you certain you put petrol and not diesel in the tank?

do you regularly run the fuel tank to almost empty, or do you usually keep it quarter full?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

As the last poster said, if it was water in the petrol, you'd have got away from the filling station ok but ground to a halt later.

It would have started even if it had been filled with diesel colm but spluttered to a halt after a while, just like if it had been filled with water.

OK my theory:

sounds like an electrical problem like a wet coil pack to me, repeated attempted starts (Punto's ignition switch has to be turned all the way off then back on again when re-starting) meaning the fuel pump kept pumping petrol in, which lead to the engine getting flooded (no pun intended).

I checked that, and no, there was only two unleaded pumps where I filled up. The engine started but instantly quietened down and cut out. I didn't even get time to put the car in gear. Now only the starter turns. Most of the time I'd try keep the engine a quarter full, but the odd time I've run it to the near end.

But surely it can't have been a coincidence that around 6 cars on the forecourt were stranded, two with a similar problem? I did see some others stopped outside of the garage, and spoke to the owner of one at a shop close by.

EDIT: Before I found out or noticed other cars stuck, I sprayed some of the engine with WD-40, but that aside, the engine was barely wet, only a few splashes. Practically any seizable amount water in the engine would've dried out in the 5 hours it was sitting there.

If that is the case, then the only way is to get a sample of the fuel, and get in contact with the other drivers who were stranded and the petrol station. if there was water in the fuel, then it'll still be in their tanks, and they'll have had hundreds of complaints and stranded cars littering the place.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    If that is the case, then the only way is to get a sample of the fuel, and get in contact with the other drivers who were stranded and the petrol station. if there was water in the fuel, then it'll still be in their tanks, and they'll have had hundreds of complaints and stranded cars littering the place.

Yeah, thats in the process. As for getting the fuel out of the engine; is there some pump you can buy to suck it out? I know I could get at the fuel pump and try get it out from there, but sucking it out would be handier. Though I'd imagine its in the engine (if there is water), so that'd be a tough job.

If the garage is at fault, then you're better off not doing any work yourself.

Yeah, true. I'll find out what the story is on Monday, and see about taking it to a garage for repair.

Advertisement