Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to buy??

Options
  • 16-08-2008 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Im selling my 01 Seat Leon 1.9tdi 110 SE. I am thinking of buying a slightly bigger car, around the size of a Toyota Avensis/Honda Accord or something around that. I though of a couple of cars including the above but what do you think? I was thinking of buying it across the water. I will allow €3000 for VRT so on the car I have £7000/€9000 or else €12000 in the south.

Im looking for a diesel or an economical petrol or even if someone can throw in a wild card for me! I am 21, have no family so I wont say no to a nice coupe!!

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

get a 02 BMW m5

Beautiful car best i ever drove but the tax is a bit of a killer but worth the buy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

get a 02 BMW m5

For 12K? ...right ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Well thanks for the recommendation anyway!

Was thinking of a Honda Accord 2.2 D but the VRT would be around €4000 but still slightly cheaper than buying it in the south. Crazy!!

Can someone please pick one of the following 6 which ive been thinking about as being the best:

04 Honda Accord 2.2 cdti
    05 Volkswagen Passat (old model) 1.9tdi 130 Highline
    05 Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D
    05 Skoda Octavia 2.0 PD TDi 140 Elegance
    04 Saab 9-3 tdi 150 Vector
    05 Ford Mondeo ST TDci 155

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

If I was picking from that list, I'd definitely scratch the Ford Mondeo off. I find them too sluggish, and just not a nice drive overall. I haven't driven the Accord, but I hear great thing from some owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

05 Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

get a 02 BMW m5

Beautiful car best i ever drove but the tax is a bit of a killer but worth the buy
    The fella is 21, he said he's lookin for a diesel for economy and you suggest a 5 litre monster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Notorious wrote: »
    If I was picking from that list, I'd definitely scratch the Ford Mondeo off. I find them too sluggish, and just not a nice drive overall. I haven't driven the Accord, but I hear great thing from some owners.

If I was picking from the list, the first would be the mondeo. If you found an ST TDci sluggish, there was something very wrong with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i would pick the saab out of your 6-the new type model if possible. just out of curiosity what price are yoy getting for your seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Notorious wrote: »

I'm not a Mondeo fan, but that post should be corrected. Firstly, it's the higher powered diesel he's on about in the Mondeo, there are 3 of them, and at that, it makes it the quickest of everything mentioned there, so you're actually wrong there, and secondly the Mondeo is known as the bench mark in handling in that class of car by all the professional critics. So "not a nice drive overall" is silly if the handling is good. "not a comfortable drive" or "not a refined drive" or something else would be an opinion, but handling is fine on the Mondeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

gyppo wrote: »
    If I was picking from the list, the first would be the mondeo. If you found an ST TDci sluggish, there was something very wrong with it.

Is the 155 in the Mondeo's title the horsepower? If so then 155 Bhp is sluggish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Yes well the Mondeo has about 153bhp but its close enough to the title. Well if its sluggish then the rest are terrible because they all have less power than the Mondeo.

To answer another question im getting €6,000 for the Leon!

Thanks for all your responses btw!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Victor_M wrote: »
    Is the 155 in the Mondeo's title the horsepower? If so then 155 Bhp is sluggish.

I've driven one of these and can assure you it's far from sluggish.

Advertisement