Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid NCT Question

Options
  • 14-08-2008 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if they check the tyre pressure during the NCT? The reason I'm asking is that I got my car NCT'd recently for the first time and I seen him going around to each wheel and plugging in something that looked like a tyre pressure monitor, but I couldn't see. I was a bit worried as I hadn't actually checked the tyre pressures beforehand so I was wondering if if they were ok and would they have failed me had the tyre pressure not been up to a certain amount?

But I noticed then a day or two after that one of my back tyres looked very soft and they are usually grand. I went to the petrol station and checked and sure enough the pressure in the tyre was about 20 psi when it should have been about 30 psi. I pumped it up and it's been grand since, but I;m just wondering if when the guy checked it he accidentally let some of the air out. Thats if he even checked it to begin with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Just wondering if they check the tyre pressure during the NCT? The reason I'm asking is that I got my car NCT'd recently for the first time and I seen him going around to each wheel and plugging in something that looked like a tyre pressure monitor, but I couldn't see. I was a bit worried as I hadn't actually checked the tyre pressures beforehand so I was wondering if if they were ok and would they have failed me had the tyre pressure not been up to a certain amount?

But I noticed then a day or two after that one of my back tyres looked very soft and they are usually grand. I went to the petrol station and checked and sure enough the pressure in the tyre was about 20 psi when it should have been about 30 psi. I pumped it up and it's been grand since, but I;m just wondering if when the guy checked it he accidentally let some of the air out. Thats if he even checked it to begin with.

Usually not. But wrong tyre pressures can affect the suspension efficieny computerised test and also brake imbalance test. If you failed the brake or suspension part of the test, I've seen it before where the tester will check your tyre pressures and if necessary correct them and redo that part of the test instead of automatially failing you.

They aren't all that bad! I've never seen them checking tyre pressures as a part of the test or as a matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Darragh29 is correct - they don't check tyre pressures. Even if they did, it's unlikely that it would cause a drop of 10psi.

Prior to the NCT, when was the last time you checked your tyre pressure - i.e. how long did it take to loose the 10 pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's nothing in their manual about tyre pressure - more about condition, thread, type etc.

........and it's not a stupid question! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

NCT Ballymun did check the pressure in my tires before the break / slip / suspention test.
    It's basically a small handheld pressurised tank (you see them on petrol stations around europe). He quickly walked around the car, checking and adjusting the pressure in each tyre. (I did check the pressures before though, so there wasn't much changing to be done)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm pretty sure I seen him do the same thing. He had this hand held thingy, not much bigger than a briefcase and he walked around and did something on each tyre. I'm not suggesting for a second that he intentionally let air out in badness, I'm just wondering if it happened by accident.

I guess it had been a few weeks before when I last checked the tyre pressures. I always have a look at the tyres before getting into the car anyway just to make sure I don't have any flats or anything. It was just after the NCT I noticed one of the rear's was down a bit which isn't usually the case. Anyway I put a bit of air in it at the weekend and it's been grand since. I'll be doing a bit more driving around this weekend as well so I'll keep an eye on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

More importantly, didya pass!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Ooopps, aye it did pass. I have to admit I was surprisingly nervous about it. The car is in good condition and while I'd got it serviced for the NCT a few days earlier, you always wonder if there's something that the mechanic missed.

Anyway it went through and is grand.

Although I checked the results sheet and a few of the readings I thought were closer to the fail mark than I would like. Does anyone else here check that? I'm going to hold onto it and show it to my mechanic I think the next time the car gets serviced.

Advertisement