Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cost of new break pads

Options
  • 16-08-2008 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

How do all,

can any body give me a rough estimate as to how much it will talke to get my front break pads replaced?? That presuming that the shoes haven't been worn down!!!!

THe car is a Fiat Bravo.

While we are on the subect, anybody got any idea how much it will cost to get a spare key??? I have the master key just need to get a spare.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you planning on doing the brakes by DIY or by using a dealer or a local mechanic? The price will vary substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

It would be a local mechanic, dont really have the balls to do anything DIY on the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Suprman

thehamo wrote: »
    It would be a local mechanic, dont really have the balls to do anything DIY on the car!
    ad/

Shoes? Im not sure probably pads...but anyways...I'd just ring around local garages and get best price. Look at what pads/shoes you have now and make sure and check after that you have got new ones and not recycled pads/shoes and get the old ones off the garage.

This sound terrible but I work in the motor trade and I dont trust anybody...local garages or main dealers. There are some great garages out there so shop around and be-aware.

:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why can't people spell "brakes"?

I'm sure there are a number of reasons - non English speaker, dyslexic, not great at spelling, lazy, etc..
    However, I'm sure you would get a better response to it in the English forum!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

kbannon wrote: »
    I'm sure there are a number of reasons - non English speaker, dyslexic, not great at spelling, lazy, etc..
    However, I'm sure you would get a better response to it in the English forum!

Granted but the misspelling occurs nearly exclusively on this forum, and is commonplace. Maybe only I notice it?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Why can't people spell "brakes"?

Did you understand what he was trying to say? If so whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Less than €100 for the pads and i guess about €40 for labour thats based on what i paid for my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Granted but the mispelling occurs nearly exclusively on this forum, and is commonplace. Maybe only I notice it?
    Why can't people spell 'misspell'? Total pedantic FAIL.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

around €50 for the pads from a motor factors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

thehamo wrote: »
    How do all,

can any body give me a rough estimate as to how much it will talke to get my front break pads replaced?? That presuming that the shoes haven't been worn down!!!!

THe car is a Fiat Bravo.

While we are on the subect, anybody got any idea how much it will cost to get a spare key??? I have the master key just need to get a spare.

Thanks!

Front brake pads should be no more than 40 euros, depends on brand. Easy to do yourself, maybe try searching on the net for the exact procedure for the fiat.
    Spare key cost depends on if it has a immobiliser fitted or not, try your fiat garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All Bravos have the CODE immobiliser system. From what I remember you'll need to go to the dealer for a key.

esel wrote: »
    Why can't people spell 'misspell'? Total pedantic FAIL.

Ah cummon Essell gizza brake! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Ah cummom Essell gizza brake! :D

Oh God!
    LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Coala

Check out Balt Motors garage in Ballycoolin, I got full service last week for €120 :) and just guesing that other small repairs are at such I would say very good price :)

Coala wrote: »
    Check out Balt Motors garage in Ballycoolin, I got full service last week for €120 :) and just guesing that other small repairs are at such I would say very good price :)
    ...and what was done in your full service?
    I would interpret that to be a major service including
    * brake check (and replacement if necessary)
    * brake fluid renewal
    * coolant renewal
    * oil & filter change
    * spark plug change
    * air & fuel filter change
    * full car check (suspension, steering, tyres, electrics, wipers, bodywork, etc.)
    €120 for that is a brilliant price but I can't see how they stay in business as the cost of parts would take up a large whack of that and then the couple of hours labour on top? Still take it while you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Coala

As far as I know only oil, filters, spark plugs, wiper blade rubbers and bulbs are replaced in full service. The rest of the fluids are only topped up and the car is checked throughout. I have checked other garages for example this one and I see that they only make checks but not replacing everything as well. I think the price is ok comparing to €160 what I got last year.

http://www.advancepitstop.com/index.php?id=301

Hence my point. Thats is not a 'full' service. It is a minimal effort oil service.
    You are paying money for what they describe as a full service but it has nothing to do with the service schedule as laid out in your owners manual. Thats why the majority of 'service' historys that come with used cars aren't worth a shíte!
    Coolant and brake fluid have limited lifespans and its in your owners manual to change them not to just top them up. If you like your car then read your owners manual!

As for using Advance - my instincts are telling me that this is more like a ploy to get you to pay for tyres, brakes and and exhaust back box but I'm just being critical.
    My point was that if you pay peanuts, then expect to get monkeys!

Anyhow back on topic!

Advertisement