Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Towncentre granted new anchor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

Would people have preferred if golden island was a two or 3 story building

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

It's not the "so-called Towncentre"
    It iscalled the Towncentre

The meaning of using the term "so-called" is to indicate that the development in question is called the Towncentre while simultaneously disputing its right to be referred to as such... :rolleyes:

The developers (see below) typically arrogantly called it the Athlone Towncentre - It never was, is not, and never will be the centre of Athlone town.

<snip-deleted post>

This video tells you all you need to know....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koY6kXhQDQo

Every word is says is absolutely true.....

And while I'm at it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCHu1kRT6hU

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Long Gone wrote: »
    The meaning of using the term "so-called" is to indicate that the development in question is called the Towncentre while simultaneously disputing its right to be referred to as such... :rolleyes:

The developers (see below) typically arrogantly called it the Athlone Towncentre - It never was, is not, and never will be the centre of Athlone town.
    Clever marketing. You have to hand it to them.
    Tullamore also had a "Main Street" which wasn't really the Main Street in the town and confused people but now its more or less a relic to the Celtic Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

athlonelad wrote: »
    You have to hand it to them.

I know. I cant even decide not to (I pay tax and the tax pays NAMA etc etc) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Long Gone wrote: »
    This video tells you all you need to know....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koY6kXhQDQo

Every word is says is absolutely true.....

And while I'm at it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCHu1kRT6hU

These have nothing to do with this thread.
    The place is called the Athlone Towncentre. As in, a name of a shopping centre, not the centre of Athlone. Granted, the naming was cheeky, and pretty smart too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The place is called the Athlone Towncentre. As in, a name of a shopping centre, not the centre of Athlone. Granted, the naming was cheeky, and pretty smart too.

Dundrum did the same - they named the shopping centre Dundrum Town Centre - but I wouldn't have know what the area was like before the centre was built.

Athlone Shopping Centre had the same "smart" way of doing it. And it worked pretty well until Diskin built Golden Island and people realised that paying for parking was for losers.

They have everything to do with this thread which is about Athlone Shopping Centre - A bankrupt Celtic Tiger era development for which the debt has been saddled onto the backs of the Irish taxpayers... Clear enough for you ? ?

I am well aware that the place is called the Athlone Towncentre - That is why I originally referred to it as the so-called Athlone Towncentre. :rolleyes:

cena wrote: »
    My mum was speak to a friend that works in next, she told eason well only be using upstair part soon. They are down siding. I see there is also some sort of works going on across from the customer service area
    Upstairs only? Wouldn't that make access difficult havig to go through anouter (empty) unit first, or is it possible to open out on to the upper level walkway?

• Advertisement

Upstairs only? Wouldn't that make access difficult havig to go through anouter (empty) unit first, or is it possible to open out on to the upper level walkway?

Could be two stores in one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Easons are supposed to be moving altogether to someone near the Mardyke St. entrance.

Both levels of the current Easons and the unused outside units are supposed to be amalgamated to make space for TK Maxx or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Confirmed in today's Irish times commercial property section that TK Maxx will be moving into centre later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Has Togo gone from the centre?

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Has Togo gone from the centre?

It was there two weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That's some drop in value for the centre.

I would to see the glass roof to be cleaned. Does the car park get used much these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

cena wrote: »
    I would to see the glass roof to be cleaned. Does the car park get used much these days?

Car park is usually jammed whenever I go there.

tubos wrote: »
    Car park is usually jammed whenever I go there.

Hotel staff, residents in the adjoining apartments (who get free parking). I wouldn't say that many paying in there are going shopping. Although i could be wrong - paying for parking when there's a free car park 2 minutes away suits people with more money than sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Hotel staff, residents in the adjoining apartments (who get free parking). I wouldn't say that many paying in there are going shopping. Although i could be wrong - paying for parking when there's a free car park 2 minutes away suits people with more money than sense.

I guess you are referring the Golden Island carpark. If you can leave GI & arrive at ATC in 2 minutes you don't really need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Mearings wrote: »
    I guess you are referring the Golden Island carpark. If you can leave GI & arrive at ATC in 2 minutes you don't really need a car.

He should change his name to veryFASTman

h5345.jpg

This is more appropriate, I can only do that when I'm in a real rush! ;)
    athlonelad wrote: »
    He should change his name to veryFASTman

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DG Leixlip

The underground car park suits people who have young kids who don't want to run the risk of kids getting drenched going to and from the shops! I happily pay the 2 - 4 euro charge for peace of mind knowing I don't have to worry about the weather!!!!

Hardly breaks the bank now! I am a mother of young kids and I assure you I have lots of sense!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    It has gone from being a nice town, to the centre of town being a hole

all the business has gone to shopping centres or the edge of town retail parks
    Well done Westmeath Co Council

You would swear that the Town Centre SC was in the middle of Mongolia. It is still in Church Street area

Shure what was every in Church Street thats not there now?

Heatons (okay a big blow), Easons/Xtra Vision - Now have a decent Centra and Paddy Powers, Old ESB Shop - hey do it online or Post Office, a couple of shoe shoes (thats a big blow fair enough) and Music World, oh and the Joke Shop . Butchers might not be there either but thats more Butchers v Supermarkets . Like it or not, McGodricks for Men is no huge loss (well, no one wants to see a local go out of business) . The chemists are still within 5 minutes of each other. Burgess and Sheffield are still there (just about) The Pound Shop was crap. Coopers could / should have cleaned up for customers but failed

Church Street has always being a bit crap for shopping, even before Golden Island SC. Sean Costello Street had the paint crowd, Dolan's and Super Valu/Dunnes thats it. Irish Town still has Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Westmeath Independent saying Starbucks to move into the Cafe Togo unit in the Town Centre.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/03/04/4036134-in-this-weeks-westmeath-independent/

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Starbucks? Yeuch. Worst coffee ever, but might pull in customers. Then again I doubt it. Gloria jeans is right beside it and is never that busy.

Any chance of a BBs? Their muffins are yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Novelty of a Starbucks would be a big draw. I'd kill for one of their White Mochas with cream, however, I only drink them for the chocolate and whipped cream. If I want coffee I'll make my own :P

Also departing with the guts of €5 for a novelty drink won't happen too often, but there is a crowd who like to be seen at Starbucks and seen drinking Starbucks, so it's a hard call.

Couldn't even tell you if there was one elsewhere in Westmeath.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    ....Couldn't even tell you if there was one elsewhere in Westmeath.

Not that I've seen myself and I travel quite a bit. It would be a novelty, but not somewhere I'd be inclined to buy Coffee. I wouldn't even buy it from Costa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Ah, maybe I'm still living in the past, where there were only two Starbucks in Dublin :P

Advertisement