Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai or Security for Spanish Arch

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

ScumLord wrote: »
    By using the label "thug" it implies the person your talking about is prone to violence.

Do you not agree there is a difference with sitting in a group having a drink and walking along the street drinking cans of beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Unless they're wearing a hoodie and tracky bottoms while doing the walk I wouldn't think twice about somebody drinking while walking down the street. You'd swear somebody walking about enjoying a pint was going to be a serial killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Unless they're wearing a hoodie and tracky bottoms while doing the walk I wouldn't think twice about somebody drinking while walking down the street. You'd swear somebody walking about enjoying a pint was going to be a serial killer.

By your logic it's ok depending on the clothes they are wearing. If a man in a suit is doing it it's ok but a lad in a hoodie is a serial killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

hondasam wrote: »
    By your logic it's ok depending on the clothes they are wearing. If a man in a suit is doing it it's ok but a lad in a hoodie is a serial killer.
    Never implied that at all if you read that again. I said if they did the knacker walk I'd probably take notice. If somebody wears I hoodie and doesn't intentionally look dodgy I don't care at all like the majority of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

GarIT wrote: »
    I will go back and answer everything when I get a chance but I have a quick post to follow the style of everyone else.

Discriminating against a whole group of people for the actions of a small few = breaking the law.

I guess then drink driving laws should only apply to those who crash!

Making false accusations about a whole group of people rather than picking out the individual culprits = breaking the law.

Therefore of you are hiding in a group you are exempt from prosecution or scrutiny

Slander without due cause = breaking the law.

Matter of opinion!

Discriminating against someone based on their appearance = breaking the law.

thats a predjuice, but its not one of the 9 grounds for discrimination under the equal status act!

Trying to force people out of a public place where they have a right to be = breaking the law.

Not if they are breaking the law in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

hondasam wrote: »
    Do you not agree there is a difference with sitting in a group having a drink and walking along the street drinking cans of beer?
    Not really, if someone is going to meet friends at the Spanish arch for example and they're bringing drink with them to drink with their friends I don't see the problem with cracking open that can at the house and drinking it on the way to the Spanish arch. Now, it's not something that I would do, there is a bit of a stigma there but I'm also a clutz and would more than likely end up covered in beer by the time I got there.

I really think this hatred of public drinking is a hang up rather than being any sort of real problem. People don't like it but that doesn't make it wrong and it really doesn't give the ones that don't like it the right to stigmatise and criminalise the people who are drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

GarIT wrote: »
    I will go back and answer everything when I get a chance but I have a quick post to follow the style of everyone else.

Discriminating against a whole group of people for the actions of a small few = breaking the law.
    Making false accusations about a whole group of people rather than picking out the individual culprits = breaking the law.
    Slander without due cause = breaking the law.
    Discriminating against someone based on their appearance = breaking the law.
    Trying to force people out of a public place where they have a right to be = breaking the law.

The problem is that not everyone is responsible and when the situation starts to get out of hand, the only way to effectively deal with it is to ban it. The scumbag will always point to the decent guy and say "I'm only doing what hes doing" however at the end of the night the scumbag could well have smashed his bottle off the head of the decent guy. The decent guy will complain about the scumbag, the scumbag will deny he did it and claim hes being discriminated against under various grounds. Let them drink in the pubs that are licensed and have a duty of care to people or drink at home and knock the heads of their friends and family if they want. I dont like to see decent people walking down a public street being assaulted by people out of their heads on buckfast. It also allows for underage drinking to place in public in the city centre and this is a large part of the problem. Most of these under age are going around with coke bottles mixed with spirits. Anyway its a far deeper problem and when parents dont give a **** what can you expect!

Advertisement