Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robocop (Reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Why would you pirate something you know you'll hate?

Why not? It's not costing them anything, maybe they wanted to confirm their suspicions. I can't condone "piracy" but the truth is if more people were more discerning about what movies they choose to support we'd have higher quality movies and less of this kind of established brand based rehashed lowest common denominator safe sh1te in theatres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

It just seems kind of dumb, I guess? It's like going "Man, getting punched in the eye would be rubbish, I just know it. Hey, man punch me in the eye." Then you get punched in the eye and declare to the world how rubbish it was. Just avoid stuff you know will be crap altogether. That's infinitely easier.

Goldstein wrote: »
    Why not? It's not costing them anything, maybe they wanted to confirm their suspicions. I can't condone "piracy" but the truth is if more people were more discerning about what movies they choose to support we'd have higher quality movies and less of this kind of established brand based rehashed lowest common denominator safe sh1te in theatres.

You end up then with the John Carter situation, where a lot of people assumed it would be crap based on the reviews and all the negative news reports so they decided to skip it in the cinema. Soon as it leaked they downloaded and watched it before taking to forums such as this and posting about how good it was and how they'd pay to see the sequel.

I'm all for people being a little cautious when it comes to cinema but piracy is never justifiable. Don't get me wrong, I've pirated the odd thing but generally it's only stuff that is incredibly hard to come by here. Quite a lot of foreign cinema that I enjoy never gets a proper release over here and I've had to resort to fan subbed versions.

The Robocop remake is a film that most wrote off soon as they heard about it but honestly it would be near impossible to deliver a film in the universe that is as bad as pretty much everything post Robocop 2. Part 3 is woeful and the made for TV films are dreadful. The remake is a damn good film that manages to be far more interesting than it has any right to be and features some great imagery and one truly stunning scene. That people who have yet to see the film are still slating it and discussing how they'll pirate it is a little odd given how well it's been reviewed by those who grew up with and love the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

It just seems kind of dumb, I guess? It's like going "Man, getting punched in the eye would be rubbish, I just know it. Hey, man punch me in the eye." Then you get punched in the eye and declare to the world how rubbish it was. Just avoid stuff you know will be crap altogether. That's infinitely easier.

Well its not exactly getting punched in the eye, it just a movie. If you think you're not gonna like it then you're gonna be less likely to pay to watch it so therefore more likely to watch it if it was free. Thats how these things work right ?

A Movie isnt great so word gets out it sucks so people wont go see it because its supposed to be rubbish so it ends up being a boxoffice bomb. Goes to DVD sales are slow so they drop the price and inevitably end up trying to give them away free with other stuff. People who wouldnt pay to see it in the cinema will still take a free DVD.

But given you can watch it for free immediately online the choice is there from the start to watch it without paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I went to see this last week. It was good!

I wasn't expecting much going in so I was a little surprised at how much I enjoyed it. And that scene where
    he see's himself for the first time after the explosion without his armour on.....wow. His organs just seeming to float there. Pretty disturbing and yet I couldn't look away!

I did think the last 30 minutes were a little all over the place though. Not every movie needs this big climactic final act and Michael Keaton's character seemed to
    shift into evil, maniacal mode pretty suddenly. He became a bit of a cartoon.
    Sometimes less is more.

But yeah, I enjoyed it. I've read its made decent money but there were only 3 people in the cinema theatre I was in. Three. It was early in the day but that's not a great sign.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kirby wrote: »
    I went to see this last week.

But yeah, I enjoyed it. I've read its made decent money but there were only 3 people in the cinema theatre I was in. Three. It was early in the day but that's not a great sign.

To be fair it's been out over a month now. The numbers going to see it now are bound to be tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yup.

there were only 3 in the showing of wolf of wall street i went to last week (and didnt get to see cause the film broke THREE times meaning the fourth attempt woulda put me past midnight getting home as it had to start from scratch. its a great film but i said fek that and got a refund)

i put the low number down to the fact its out donkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Hated this movie. A tedious piece of pro-US bullsh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

wait... What???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Needed MOAR ED-209's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw the original in 87 in the Savoy No1 and was enthralled as a 15 year old.
    I saw the reboot a couple of weeks ago and was incredibly disappointed, none of the balls of the original, more in common with the gods awful Total Recall remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Has this made enough money to be likely to get a sequel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If there's gods in Valhalla there won't, if you're looking to the bunch of pussies who reside in the Greek pantheon there'll probably be a few :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If there's gods in Valhalla there won't, if you're looking to the bunch of pussies who reside in the Greek pantheon there'll probably be a few :(

It wasn't that bad. I thought it was better than a lot of the generic Marvel stuff that's been out recently.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Christ, you must have been watching a different film to me.
    Best thing in it was Oldman, the rest painfully poor.
    The violence, the action toned right down to meet the PG13 rating in the states, and none of the satire and grit of the original.
    No Clarence Boddicker either, the bad guy up front was 2 dimensional and the company men were, well, company men and that was that.
    The whole Samuel L Jackson riff on the typical Fox news was laid on so think it was more a parody than satire, while the originals news segments introduced the horror and madness of the near future with a sunny disposition this was just a coiffured anchor playing on fear.
    Keaton just did Keaton and in the end was a whimper rather than a bang.
    If anyone wants to watch a Robocop film I'll direct them to the first two and let them have some fun, rather than have to digest the sort of muck pedalled in this.
    I actually went in hoping for the best, oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Watched this yesterday with a surprising amount of children under 10 also in the cinema.

Really enjoyed it. Thought it does a good job of rebooting the story and they could easily do a sequel. Enjoyed how much time they spent showing the testing phase. Felt we never properly saw Robocop on police duty though. Also felt the suit looked good on screen, started to believe it was a cyborg suit rather than just a man in suit like it looked in the trailer.

I hated the suit. Thought it looked like rubber!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well according to box officd mojo its made 220 mil world wide in four weeks so its looking to have made its money back and more. chuck in DVD sales down the road and i reckon a sequel's a cert.

hell the way things are now DVD sales alone can do that if theyre big enough.

weirdly though im not sure how i feel about that. i liked this remake, i can see it as a thing that stands totally seperate to the original, but im fecked if i can see where they go from here.

suppose that means we could get something fresh and new. i really liked the on the beat stuff in this (using his onboard tech to solve crimes, suss out suspects in interrogations etc ) so maybe a straight crime/dective story could be fun. i mean hell he IS a cop.

:D

Well, I'll take comfort in knowing better next time and go to see something else that weekend, like The Notebook 2 or Daddy Day Care 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Christ, you must have been watching a different film to me.
    Best thing in it was Oldman, the rest painfully poor.
    The violence, the action toned right down to meet the PG13 rating in the states, and none of the satire and grit of the original.
    No Clarence Boddicker either, the bad guy up front was 2 dimensional and the company men were, well, company men and that was that.
    The whole Samuel L Jackson riff on the typical Fox news was laid on so think it was more a parody than satire, while the originals news segments introduced the horror and madness of the near future with a sunny disposition this was just a coiffured anchor playing on fear.
    Keaton just did Keaton and in the end was a whimper rather than a bang.
    If anyone wants to watch a Robocop film I'll direct them to the first two and let them have some fun, rather than have to digest the sort of muck pedalled in this.
    I actually went in hoping for the best, oddly enough.

Your points are valid. I went in with the lowest expectations I've ever had for a film and was pleasantly surprised. No masterpiece, but better than Robocop 3 at the very least (not really an achievement in fairness).

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well, I'll take comfort in knowing better next time and go to see something else that weekend, like The Notebook 2 or Daddy Day Care 3

So do I take it you didn't like it?

I wasn't particularly annoyed with the lack of gore or blood. Granted it was OTT in the original, there was rarely an emphasis on the character himself during the shootouts. He had a very rigid and nearly laughable range of poses he pulled while firing.

In this one, rounds hitting targets were just for confirmation, "Look, it did hit them", the focus was on the character who moved alot more fluidly and imo more spectacular.

The whole seen in the warehouse, the way he moved, had me freaking out in my seat, it was excellent to watch.

Would be more then happy to see a sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I always thought Weller’s body language as Robocop was brilliant. He really sold the idea of a man trapped in a robotic body, imitating the human movements he had seen in tv westerns. The swagger, the way he moved his arms. Acting in that suit can’t have been easy, yet Weller gave the character real personality. He's even better in Robocop 2.

Your points are valid. I went in with the lowest expectations I've ever had for a film and was pleasantly surprised. No masterpiece, but better than Robocop 3 at the very least (not really an achievement in fairness).

I enjoyed the first one and the sequel, saw them both in theatres too, a lot of folk didn't take to the Robocop 2 but I found it a lot of fun with some great stop motion work.
    The third one was like a TV pilot, which it kinda was.
    The less said about the series the better for all concerned!

I guess if you went in with zero expectations it wasn't quite a zero but if you loved the originals man did it dump all over that which made the 97 film great.

As for the violence, that was a fundamental part of the experience.
    See Robocop through the prism of late 60's early 70's films like The Wild Bunch or Dirty Harry and you'll see the DNA there, the grubby, used world it was acted out upon, the new movie has none of that, looking more like a TV pilot with a decent SFX budget itself.
    The lack of satire, to reiterate was a shocking omission, I think I briefly saw something on the tickertape during one of the news broadcasts but it was gone before I could read it, I suppose it'll have to wait for the DVD, while the first one was infused with Americana gone haywire, from gas guzzling cars to the Military/Industrial Complex gone mainstream.

Comparing Robocop '87 to Robocop '13 is like comparing Dirty Harry to Gangster Squad.

I always thought Weller’s body language as Robocop was brilliant. He really sold the idea of a man trapped in a robotic body, imitating the human movements he had seen in tv westerns. The swagger, the way he moved his arms. Acting in that suit can’t have been easy, yet Weller gave the character real personality. He's even better in Robocop 2.

He had a lighter suit in the second one so he could "act" more, but his work on Robocop was amazing, even as Murphy he was a good cop and father, and they didn't need a lot of "movie of the week" exposition to establish this loss with Mr Weller and Verhoeven in the driving seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'll just leave this here, well worth a look.

You really see Weller the Lecturer here, would love to enrol in his classes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You know what always annoyed me in robocop? And I was only reminded about it when I re-watched it a few weeks ago. When he takes his helmet off the black parts that cover his chin and neck just disappear! WHERE DO THEY GO?!?!:mad:

He had a lighter suit in the second one so he could "act" more, but his work on Robocop was amazing, even as Murphy he was a good cop and father, and they didn't need a lot of "movie of the week" exposition to establish this loss with Mr Weller and Verhoeven in the driving seats.

I didn't know that at all. Mad.

H. H. Asquith

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You know what always annoyed me in robocop? And I was only reminded about it when I re-watched it a few weeks ago. When he takes his helmet off the black parts that cover his chin and kneck just disappear! WHERE DO HEY GO?!?!:mad:

They didn't elaborate on the scene where he removes his helmet with him removing the chinguard as they thought it would weaken the scene.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They didn't elaborate on the scene where he removes his helmet with him removing the chinguard as they thought it would weaken the scene.

Well that's one of my childhood mysteries now solved.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well that's one of my childhood mysteries now solved.

Same here. Used to bug me every time I watched it.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'll just leave this here, well worth a look.

You really see Weller the Lecturer here, would love to enrol in his classes.

This is brilliant. Always liked Weller, you can see he is so passionate about film as well in this. Brilliant.

Advertisement