Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone crack any of their life ambitions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Cracked
    BSc
    PhD
    Published in scientific journals
    Visited Pompeii and Herculaneum (Spent one full day doing this. Awesome!)
    Scuba diving
    Snorkelling on shallow corals
    Earn a good living from (medical) writing
    Work abroad for a couple of years (4 years down already!!)

To be cracked
    Earning a good living from fiction writing
    Get a book published (see above)
    Start my own business (Have the idea, need the time and finance)
    Be mortgage free (This one needs more input from me!!)

We have extremely similar goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Done :

Skydive.
    It was excellent

To be done :

Another skydive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Well I guess since I started the thread I should list mine.. All of which I'm still working on at the moment.

Black belt in judo, fluency in Irish, Phd.

I would add skydiving would be one thing I'd regret not doing if I died, but I'm just not sure if I'd have the balls to lob myself out of a plane.

I'd also like to travel to countries that aren't tourist hotspots. Maybe South America.. I'd like to take a yacht around the mediteranian also. All in good time I guess.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think a lot of people are posting general "achievements" rather than life ambitions. A life ambition, to me, implies that it has been a long term goal and something not ordinarily achievable for you personally.

Does, getting a degree, a job and a house and driving really count as "life ambitions" these days? Don't mean to put anyone down, just seems like these kinds of things are means to an end. I mean what have you really achieved by doing any of them?

Degree: you can attend classes and remember things you've had four years to learn.
    Job: You can not be a drain on society.
    House: You don't have to deal with a landlord.
    Car: You can get to the 24 hour Tesco whenever you like.

I have yet to complete several of these rather mundane achievements. Surely you've got more exciting things you'd like to do :)

Was "Work for Boards.ie for a living" one of yours? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'll be fulfilling one of mine in 2010 when I hike the Appalachian Trail.

Des wrote: »
    Was "Work for Boards.ie for a living" one of yours? :)
    I was more general with "work for the Internet" ;)

Never thought I'd have an opportunity to work for boards.ie, life's rarely that perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

CuLT wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are posting general "achievements" rather than life ambitions. A life ambition, to me, implies that it has been a long term goal and something not ordinarily achievable for you personally.

Does, getting a degree, a job and a house and driving really count as "life ambitions" these days? Don't mean to put anyone down, just seems like these kinds of things are means to an end. I mean what have you really achieved by doing any of them?

Degree: you can attend classes and remember things you've had four years to learn.

I have yet to complete several of these rather mundane achievements. Surely you've got more exciting things you'd like to do :)

I guess some people have simple requirements in life. It doesn't mean that when they were young that they didn't draw up this picturesque view of their future which revolved around some attainable goals. They would still be considered ambitions.

Like, what is easier - Jumping out of a plane or spending 5 - 6 years gaining their masters? It would depend on the person. Some people would have no problem in jumping out of a plane.

It all depends on the person. Ambitions don't have to include crazy and wild things, just something that involves a little effort in attaining. For me, a black belt in judo, fluency in irish and a phd are not going to be easy to attain. In the same respect, visiting countries around the world that are seldom visited would be a refreshing and memorable part of my life, which is no doubt an ambition.

Never thought I'd have an opportunity to work for boards.ie, life's rarely that perfect!

You bleedin' lick arse.

Just coz teh boss is reading. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

Mee-ow!:p

You'd want to be careful not to offend people there. To some, things like a car, house, job may seem 'mundane' ambitions but to many they genuinely are ambitions so why should you belittle that?!
    Not starting something, just pointing out!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

AARRRGH wrote: »
    We have extremely similar goals!
    Cool! High-five!
    Now, a/s/l ? :D:D
    Does, getting a degree, a job and a house and driving really count as "life ambitions" these days?

I was the first person in my family to go to University (never mind actually get a degree), it was a real life-goal for me. As a child of the late-70's and early 80's whose parents worked damn hard and yet still couldn't afford to pay the milk man some weeks, yes I consider it a life goal and achievement.
    Back then I thought I'd be straight into the workforce after school just to support my family. Instead I was lucky enough to get the chance to go to Uni. Life wasn't always as rosy as it has been in Ireland for the past 15 years or so! :)

Cazlou wrote: »
    You'd want to be careful not to offend people there.
    People are very easily offended, I've given up trying not to offend them and have just stopped trying to deliberately antagonize them. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference though :)
    To some, things like a car, house, job may seem 'mundane' ambitions but to many they genuinely are ambitions so why should you belittle that?!
    I just think, you know, there are more important things in life. If you don't agree, that's fine, you're free to ignore my opinion. It is, after all, just an opinion.

If you feel belittled, or offended by that, then you might want to examine why you're offended by it. If you have complete confidence in your life goals/ambitions, surely one little post from someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about shouldn't faze you. Right?

(Disclosure: I am sorta stirring the pot now by the way, don't fall into the trap of being antagonized)
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    I was the first person in my family to go to University (never mind actually get a degree), it was a real life-goal for me. As a child of the late-70's and early 80's whose parents worked damn hard and yet still couldn't afford to pay the milk man some weeks, yes I consider it a life goal and achievement.
    Back then I thought I'd be straight into the workforce after school just to support my family. Instead I was lucky enough to get the chance to go to Uni. Life wasn't always as rosy as it has been in Ireland for the past 15 years or so! :)

This makes sense to me, I sometimes forget that I am quite a bit below the average age of most boardsies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Did some more thinking:

Done:
    Ran the bulls in Pamplona
    Skied a black run
    Dived (want to qualify)
    Stood on a surfboard (long way to go, but the first step is there)
    Explored Pompeii and stood in the Colleseum
    Hang gliding

To Do:
    Get to the other side of the world without taking a flight in my own vehicle.
    Live debt free.
    Swim/Dive with Dolphins, Sharks and Sea Turtles (at different times).
    Own and be able to sail a boat.
    Be fit.
    Sky dive solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

I just think, you know, there are more important things in life. If you don't agree, that's fine, you're free to ignore my opinion. It is, after all, just an opinion.
    To some people they ARE the important things in life!:rolleyes:
    If you feel belittled, or offended by that, then you might want to examine why you're offended by it. If you have complete confidence in your life goals/ambitions, surely one little post from someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about shouldn't faze you. Right?
    (Disclosure: I am sorta stirring the pot now by the way, don't fall into the trap of being antagonized)
    Woah they horses Mr sh1t-stirrer, I never said I was offended, not everyone has things handed to them or have the opportunity to dream big and I don't think it's very nice to have someone come along and refer to things that they've taken in pride in achieving as 'very mundane', that is all.
    This makes sense to me, I sometimes forget that I am quite a bit below the average age of most boardsies :)
    Could be the reason so, ah to be young and innocent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Done:
    Play basketball for my country (U16)
    Win an All-Ireland medal playing the above sport * 3
    Get paid to play computer games
    Get a qualification (of some sort - you can find anything on the interweb these days :pac:)
    Find someone of the opposite sex that understands me :)

To do:
    Have the balls to go the top of the Eiffel Tower, tried once and bottled it. (might seem like an easy thing to do but I'm terrified of heights)
    Be financially comfortable (hopefully in the next year)
    Go on a road trip to the Nurburgring race track and run a few laps. Maybe get a "taxi" (BMW M5) around it.
    Complete a triathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I have always wanted to go to Australia - went and lived there for a year and a half. Not a major ambition to some but something that I have wanted to do since I was a child (I didn't jump on any bandwagon going there).

My ambitions change all the time, going to Australia and travelling the world has always been there..

My current ambitions are to return to college to become a Physio and become a Dive Master. And go to Rome. Houses and cars and all that can wait!

My ambition:

Own a house in the French countryside, living there debt free, not needing to work, and enjoying a relaxed lifestyle.

I'll achieve it in 5 - 8 years I reckon.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I meant, Toots85 is a woman :)

Or a gaylord.

Yup, I is a woman for sure!!

<_<

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Managed a few:

-Skydived
    -Ran the Dublin Marathon
    -Visited Elvis' birthplace, home, and gravesite
    -Bought my own place in the City
    -Became famous (kinda, for a little while!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Achieved :D
    Left home area (small rural fishing/farming area in NE Scotland)(Ambition when I was a kid-despised the place then, and still do now)
    See my sisters do really well for themselves (and they have - they're great!)
    Treat people as well as I can, whenever I can (Ongoing!)

Yet to do :cool:
    Learn conversational Irish
    Learn to play guitar to fairly OK level
    Become very good in French+Spanish
    Skydiving/base jumping
    Wakeboarding
    Travel Eastern Europe
    Get into a life-or-death firefight (and surviving it!)

Will never happen :mad:
    Play football for Aberdeen FC (damn my lack of skill/recurring injuries)
    Become an International Rock Star/God

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Have been to 2 places i always dreamed of going, Niagara Falls and Disneyworld.

Wanna visit some other places, learn a foreign language possibly Italian or French, and get myself the job i want in life, Sports Therapist/Holistic Massage Therapist. Oh and i wanna win a competiton as a 100m sprinter somewhere, or at least be good at it(currently working on this one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

i have a job ive always wanted...mind you it does have me in work at this time... may need a new ambition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I have a lot of ambitions, none of them I see me achieving anytime soon or ever even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I have set myself a new goal , I want to run the Dublin Marathon 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kerfuffle

My observation (and I stress in advance that this is an opinion) is that most people's goals here are based around money or status - mortgage/degree/to be debt free etc. Nothing wrong with them individually but I wouldn't want them to sum up my life or be the most desired things.

kerfuffle wrote: »
    My observation (and I stress in advance that this is an opinion) is that most people's goals here are based around money or status - mortgage/degree/to be debt free etc. Nothing wrong with them individually but I wouldn't want them to sum up my life or be the most desired things.

I'm not sure education and money are about status, or at least, they aren't for me.

Money gives me freedom, and education gives me a good brain. I'm also interested in fitness and bodybuilding, and general self improvement.

These are things I want to do for me - I only have one life, so I want to be the best I can.

I think if status was important to me I wouldn't be so honest (e.g. I would gain more by going with rather than against popular opinion so frequently...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I wanted to set up my own business and be completely self-employed by the time I was 25 and I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

all my ambitions are pretty unattainable..

-Marry a gorgeous rich funny clever guy
    -Get a job as a TV presenter
    -Find some kind of direction in life

phasers wrote: »
    all my ambitions are pretty unattainable..

-Marry a gorgeous rich funny clever guy

Totally doable. You might need to emigrate though.

Just kidding!
    -Get a job as a TV presenter

Absolutely doable.

You can buy equipment to broadcast your own pirate TV station for about $2000. This is a subject I know a bit about if you want to PM me.

I know this isn't quite the same, but most commerical dj's started off in pirate radio...
    -Find some kind of direction in life

That will come with time! Don't worry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

So far I've managed to do 2 major ones.

- Pass out as a 3 Star Private in the PDF.
    - Visit Lourdes.... Easily 1 of the best experiences of my life.

Advertisement