Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym membership in athlone

Options
  • 16-11-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I am looking to get gym membership in athlone. Gym has to be in town so am looking at the regional sports center, Sheraton fitness and Planet fitness. If anyone has any experience of these gyms with regards to equipment, price, staff and how busy it gets at peak times I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Keithmc40

I was a member of the Sheraton and liked it, 4 cross trainers , 6 bikes, 8 thread mills, 2stepers, 2rowing machines , free weighs, racked weights , staff are friendly, small room for classes holds around 9 people , swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi , can get very busy between 6 & 9

I'm a member of the sports centre now, they are doing a lot of work on it at the moment , it's a lot bigger than the Sheraton and can be busy but always a free machine, staff are friendly and helpful if you ask for advise , can't wait to see how it is when the building work is finished

Regards price I can't say the exact price because I got a 15% discount from work for both but the sports centre was cheaper by €3 per month, if you have children they go free in the sport centre , the only thing I don't like in the sports centre is the showers but hopefully when the building is finished the new shower room will be better , i have never used the swimming pool in the sports centre as it always seems busy with swimming lessons

I left the Sheraton because the sports centre was closer to me but if I had to choose again I'd say the Sheraton, hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Martha_Mae

Had a membership with the Sheraton and I hated it! The place is too small and gets packed after 5:30! It's at the basements and the whole atmosphere is very stuffy

Tried the AIT too but it's full of students and those days are long passed for me..

I liked the Hodson Bay but it's so far away - I think the Regional Sports Centre or the Radisson might be the best option in town

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

Martha_Mae wrote: »
    I liked the Hodson Bay but it's so far away - I think the Regional Sports Centre or the Radisson might be the best option in town

I left the radisson because the equipment selection isnt that great once you get past the beginner stage. The smith machine can be set up as a makeshift rack so you can use the free bar but its just not the same as getting to use a proper rack.

ARSC is looking great these days with the new equipment. 3 squat racks with several oly bars and a few specialty bars. Loads of bumper plates. Huge dumbbell selection leg press leg extension machine lying leg curl. plated loaded low row machine and lat pulldown as well as plate loaded chest press and shoulder press. Large crossover cable unit with lat pulldown section 2 extra cable spaces and pullup and dip station. Hyperextension unit as well. Also some god awful monkey bar thing with a tiny wall climing bit on top for grip training but people only seem to mess with that for a few minutes at most due to the novelty of it. Lot of cardio equipment and some of the older machines as well as a designated stretching area.

Only downside I find is the stupid disco lights in the weight room. Very distracting especially since they are reflected right into your eyes when youre squatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Keithmc40

Yes it's like a nite club in the ARSC these days

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

Keithmc40 wrote: »
    Yes it's like a nite club in the ARSC these days

Exactly. I know that theyre trying to set a specific "atmosphere" but what do distracting lights really add. I complained about it on facebook and they basically brushed it off as me being a hater. Damn things had gone mad flashing one day while I was in and lucky enough there wasnt anyone squatting at the time because as bad as they are on a slow change they will make most people lose focus when they start flashing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement